what is with people?

Tvoi-Vrag

Banned
I'm Joining the Armed forces, I am sure of that. I don't know why, but I am getting harassed by certain people for my decision. I get called repblican this and that. I am just wondering what is with Americans these days.

Everyone has a different view on the Military. some of my son's friends thought he was crazy for joining in a time of WAR. But I have to say this much everytime he has been home he gets nothing but respect from people he runs into. (friends & strangers)

Here's something I got a chuckle out of:
He just got home for Christmas Excodus & was in his Class "A's" when I picked him up at airport. He wanted to stop on the way home @ a bookstore (Barnes&Noble) we pass. So we go in,he's walking in front of me & Xmas shopping madness was in full swing. Can I tell you I have never made it thru a store at that time of year so fast in my life! Everyone I mean everyone stopped to let him pass. Older gentleman would bow or salute & even one of the managers came up to us & got him everything he was lookling for & rang us out himself!

I only told this little story just to let you know not everyone will give you a hard time. Not all people are ignorant. They respect the uniform & the fact that your doing a job that most of them would not do in a million years.

Good luck to you!

The military is at one polar end of society. Polarizing forces get polarizing reactions from people. You will see very positive reactions and very negative reactions - thus polar opposites. Only those who live life in the middle of the road remain blended-in to society. Only those in the polar ends affect society very much though.

You and I both man. When I tell a lot of my friends that I want to go into the Military they say, "Why would you want to commit suicide," "You're crazy," hell, even today I got "You're going to regret that." All of which really tick me off because they just don't understand at all...

I have a Hero Bracelet (which is a black metal band with the name of a soldier/marine/pilot/sailor/etc who died in combat during Iraqi Freedom or Enduring Freedom, $3 dollars of it go toward a fallen serviceman's family.) and someone asked me what it was. I told her, and I said I wear it as a memory of a man who gave up his life protecting the freedoms and life we're able to enjoy today, and that I hope should I ever be asked the same, that I have the courage to do as he did. She said "You're stupid, why would you anyone ever want to do anything like that?!" Needless to say, the conversation ended quickly.

I only have this problem with Americans. Everyone I know from other countries respects my decision. I even have friends in the middle east that against the war, and what US is going and they atleast respect my decsion. The only people that don't are the people who I'd be serving.

Trust me what you are gettin is not all Americans and soley Americans that are feelin this way. Right now people are not for or against military, it is more of a fear of war. First thought in most people's minds right now is Jessica Lynch or someone else, they only think of the tragedies that have happened and associate all military with those images.

The problem is that a lot...not the majority, but a lot of Americans are too concerned about "wanting things" and not about "wanting to do" the things necessary to get them. It's not that the current conflict is going to make or break the US, it's simply the American attitude to do what needs to be done and too many people are too afraid to do it. So many people have forgotten it is the soldier who has given us our "wants" and it is why we should continue to support the individuals who freely chose to "want" to help.

I get harrassed by a very small amount of people because on my passion. But around here everyone well mostly, people respect that and its given me a pretty good reputation.

Happens to me to, but when an ex service man/woman, or just a civilian thanks me for just wanting to it out weighs all the negatives by far. Also if it weren't for those Americans voicing their opinion (even negatively) then America wouldn't be so great.

Back