what do I do now? I'm out.

anaisbored

I'm out of the youth group/israeli military school I was in and on disability. Having been prepared my whole life for the military...what do I do now that I'm on disability and have no friends, no income, and no personality? On top of that..I'm not in Israel...I'm in Canada, so all my buddies from the school are god knows where.

I'm out of the youth group/israeli military school I was in and on disability. Having been prepared my whole life for the military...what do I do now that I'm on disability and have no friends, no income, and no personality? On top of that..I'm not in Israel...I'm in Canada, so all my buddies from the school are god knows where.

Well in short you suck it up figure out something else you want to do with your life and get on with it.

Much like yourself I joined the New Zealand Regular Force Cadets at 16, spent two years studying and training for an army career only to be involved in an automobile accident six months out of training and there is no doubt it is a giant kick in the nuts to suddenly find you can not continue with your career of choice but there is nothing to be gained sitting around feeling sorry for yourself.

I chose to go back to school get a degree and now I have a pretty good life what you choose to do is really up to you so have fun with it and good luck.

:)

Last edited:
I must admit I had major problems settling into civilian life after 5 years in the RAF, what I did do was join the Territorial Army and served 15 years. It was great fun, besides which I got paid for drill nights, weekends and two week camps, on top of that every year a bounty was paid out.

I don't feel sorry for myself...I'm just sad thinking about my life. It's a sad story. Nothing good came out of it. I can't help but cry.

It is only sad if you let it be that way, set backs in life only hold you back if you let them.

At this stage it is all about mental fortitude you can not change what has been done so put it behind you and move forward, it is the only advice I can give you on the subject.

I agree with what Monty said, get yourself together. Be the soldier and overcome this setback. There are civilian jobs within the military as well, you can go for them, but that require a degree from a college or a university. If you tell your interests and what you are good at will help to suggest different kind of educations.

How did you end up in Canada? I have passed through Denmark and not remember it (damn those beer festivals in Germany) But suddenly be in a different continent?

my parents moved here because I have family here.

I see. You need to adjust to your new situation and overcome to not be able to be a soldier anymore. So, what are your interests besides the military? You will make new friends if you attend to a college or a university. What happened to you is not the end of the line, it is a new beginning. Use your determination you had to be a soldier to be something else and you will be fine.

I have no interset in the military, I was forced into it because of financial situations. I have no interests anymore. I'm so worn out. I don't feel anything normal. I don't feel anything but sadness.

I am sorry but none of this makes much sense to me, you are upset at not being able to continue what you were doing but then you didn't want to do it any way.

It sounds to me like you should get treated for depression and then be very happy you are no longer trapped in a career that you did not want, then go and find something you want to do.
I understand that change can be overwhelming but what you are feeling passes and it will pass a lot quicker if you put the effort into moving forward but it seems to me that you are looking at everything from the perspective of finding road blocks and barriers and not solutions, we have all been through it at one stage of our lives or another and for countless different reasons but for the most part come out of it stronger for the experience.

Last edited:
why you disability? IN the training or in war?

ok so I kind of wanted to do it...but not really. i don't remember anymore. it was all so long ago.

You're acting as if you just came back from the front in 1945...stop being so dramatic.

People find themselves at square one all the time. I know I've had to start over and I'm sure many on here have found themselves in situations where they have had to start over themselves. Any of us could have wallowed in our own self pity and done nothing to take control of our own circumstances. That's called remaining a victim.

Your mettle isn't tested in the good times in life. It is tested in times where you are submitted to the whims of what life will throw at you. How you respond to these things is what defines your character and you as a person. People of character pick themselves up, dust themselves off, and start over again. So, I ask you, what are you going to do to take control of your life and your future?

I don't feel sorry for myself...I'm just sad thinking about my life. It's a sad story. Nothing good came out of it. I can't help but cry.

That's feeling sorry for yourself. You're young and don't have anything to compare your experience to. 10-15 years from now you won't think it was so bad.

You need to see a doctor and get treated for depression. It's a very common ailment and pretty easily treated. Try to get a job, anything,even cleaning motel rooms, or working at a hospital, heck, even volunteer at a nursing home, library, school etc. You gotta get on your feet and off your ass. Canada is a beautiful country, it's not like your trapped in a North Korean prison. Set some goals, like#1 get a job #2 earn some money to be independent, you get the picture? Good Luck, you can do it, put 1 foot in front of the other.

well actually i studied library technology since then. i was about to be a military teacher of some sort, but it didn't work out i became severly ill through all the training :( I don't know why i cry...it's really weird. i think it's from being so tired...my body is completely exhausted. like permanent exhaustion no matter what i do and how much time passes. i'm not sad actually. i think i sound more dramatic than i am.

Back