What are my chances for green to gold?

I can understand your frustration and chaffing at the bit to do something, Doody, but my advice is to let sleeping dogs lie. 8 years isn't so very long from 5 years that they may not just pass it by with no notice, especially in this period for the military. Worry about it when and if it comes back at you. I seriously doubt it will.

it is good to be back from the field.

In my mail box was an e-mail saying that my green to gold packet was complete and I will have an answer by 30 June. Charge, you were right all along. I must learn to listen to the old veterans a little more ;) Man I am so glad I do not have to take the SAT's 8)

If all goes well, I will be out of the Army in July and on my way to a being a commissioned officer.

Congratulations Doody! I look forward to hearing of your progression and hope to maybe have that BBQ or somesuch when you make it to Maine again.

Charge 7 said:
Congratulations Doody! I look forward to hearing of your progression and hope to maybe have that BBQ or somesuch when you make it to Maine again.

Does on or about 1 July work for a warning order? I am planning a 120 mile kayak trip on the Alagash and St. John Rivers in July with my brother. We are planning to set in on 3 July. I am thinking of buying a 12 ft touring kayak, which means I am going to do a 1200 mile drive to maine and then come back. As you know, VT is not that much of a detour. Let me know what you think.

It may work. It'll be close though. I'm getting married June 25th and we're scheduled to return from our honeymoon on July 2nd. Supposed to fly in early though so we may have time to spend together in the afternoon or evening of the 2nd.

Have you done the Allagash before? I have by canoe more than a couple of times. Great trip.

Hey charge 7

My plans are final. I will be driving thru your area on 27 JUN and back through on 8 JUL. You said you will be away come the 27th. Are you free on the 8th for lunch with an old buck Sergeant?

As green to gold goes I am still waiting. Judgement day comes on 30 JUN. I did get a medical remedial on a head injury of mine. The medical review board decided they need more info on my lack of brain power :horsie: . The ROTC people said medical remedials can be solved by the start of college and does not affect my acceptence into the ROTC program.

SGT Doody

Hi Doody.

We haven't chatted before but I've read many of your posts. I am Charge's fiancée. I've been reading this board over his shoulder for months and finally decided to make some posts of my own. He's gone down to Ft. Sill for some weeks but he may come online and answer you. I thought I'd keep you from waiting though.

I don't see any reason why the 8th of July wouldn't work out and I know we'd both be glad to see you. :D

It's Approved!!!!

As of last week my scholarship has been approved. The only thing that stands in my way is some needed medical paper work on a concusion I had in 1999. Since my med records are in St. Louis, I am having trouble getting them. There is a waiver availible and I am working the issue hard. Once that is completed, I will be chaptered out of the Army and will start college this fall.

My new 1st Sergeant is not happy about this. When he heard I got the scholarship, he vowed to investigate it with the Sergeant Major. Since this was approved by my Company Commander as well as my Battalion Commander, I have nothing to worry. Orders for green to gold really cannot be stopped.

I am off to enjoy the day. Thanks to all for the support I have been given through all this

SGT (soon to be cadet) Doody

Congratulations and the best of luck. Don't worry about your Top it's in the job description to be grumpy :D

Excellent news, Doody! Congratulations! :cheers:

I had every confidence you'd make it. The Army needs young leaders like you. :m1:

Any idea which college you'll be attending? Norwich is the place ROTC was founded and it's about a dozen miles away from me.

Thank you gents

It is almost time to do my victory dance. First I'll need about 8 beers :cheers: As of yesterday, I am a go for medical. A letter is being sent to my commander today. Once he gets that letter, I'll submit a 4187 (personel action) requesting for me to be chaptered out of the Army. It is looking like 16 AUG 05 will be my final out date. Then I start college on 29 AUG and get that good edamacation

Charge, I will be going to college at Austin Peay State U. Since my wife will still be in the 101st, it does the marrage good to stay close by.

I uphill fight is over as of today!!!8)

There were dark clouds looming because of my Sergeant Major. It seems he did not like the idea of me going. The SGT MAJ interviewd everyone in my chain of command from my squad leader on up asking for their recommendation on me going Green to Gold. This was made long after the Battalion Commander recommended me for the program. When I went into sign my 4187, I saw a few things written on the cover of my packet. Once comment was on my bonus (which I still have yet to receive and I will not likely see it now :evil: ). There were 2 other comments on there as well. BUT there was a big "X" through them. I am assuming that was made by the BN Commander.

Anyways, I am due to leave the Army on 19 AUG and start college 10 days later. There are a few lessons to be learned by this whole ordeal; make copies of EVERY important piece of paperwork in the military, being a goold soldier has its benefits, things like honor grad and the commandants list really do help and sometimes you must fight like hell to get the things you want because others see it differently.

Doody said:
There are a few lessons to be learned by this whole ordeal; make copies of EVERY important piece of paperwork in the military, being a good soldier has its benefits, things like honor grad and the commandants list really do help and sometimes you must fight like h**l to get the things you want because others see it differently.

I'd say you've already learned a couple of the most important lessons a young officer can learn. Glad to hear you made it through it all and I look forward to hearing of your progress. I suspect you'll do quite well. Those lessons you've learned will also serve you well in college.

Welcome to the land of the naive, SGT! Enjoy your stay, and no slapping the silly boys and girls.

:lol:

Congratulations, SGT, I'm glad to hear it all went through for you.

Congrats, Doody. I think you will make a fine officer.

Try to whip some of those cadetiots into shape.

Keep us informed of your progress - and if you need anything, let us know.

Back