What are the Most Powerful Nations in Africa??

I guess the above posts explain why i said Nigeria, most populous nation in Africa and the 10 the populous in the world after Japan.
Is rich in oil, and has a strong military, has recently sent troops to Sudan to take care of the Darfur crisis.

The most probable candidates for the revamped security council from africa are Nigeria and South Africa , they need at least 2 countries from Africa, Egypt might be a contender.

Dameon said:
However yeah technicly Egypt is considered part of the Middle East even though it is on the African continant. I would have to agree on Egypt, they have been around about 3,000-4,000 years. Thats called staying power.

If you want to get even more technical, then it is Southwest Asia, not the Middle east.

No ... technically Egypt is on the African Continent with the exception of the Sinai Peninsula. Same with Libya and Algeria, though they certainly are very Muslim nations. Hey, a ton of Africa is heavily Muslim. Their sphere of interest focusses on the Middle East, but that doesn't mean they are on located in Asia. They're not.

True.....still doesn't change the fact Egypt is more important in Middle East polotics than African ones.

Due to the fact that Islam dominates the place, what part of Africa isn't heavily influenced by Middle East politics? Egypt has borders into areas of greatest importance to the Middle East -- specifically ISRAEL. Its much like deciding whether to classify Turkey as being a Middle East or European nation. Much of the world sees them as more European than Middle Eastern, yet geographically, Turkey is in Asia. Egypt is in Africa.

True, However it Polotics are normaly more on the Middle Eastern side....alot of maps includeEgypt in the Middle East also.

Yeah but it's still in Africa right?
Now if the question was which countries were the strongest in Subsaharan Africa...

I think that as far as military goes, Egypt is definetly the strongest one. They have western weapons, a lot of air power and armor, and their Army is pretey big.

Not to mention their economy is miles ahead of almost every other African country. Perhaps with the exception of South Africa.

Egypt has the advantage of being involved in wars aginast powerful nations wich also gives them a type of training.

Dameon said:
Egypt has the advantage of being involved in wars aginast powerful nations wich also gives them a type of training.

But how long has it been since the last war? i believe the egyptian military is conscription, so probably none if any of the current serving soldiers have experience fighting actual wars.

I think we're pretty well agreed that the power ranking for Africa would probably be like this:
1.) Egypt
2.) South Africa
3.) Nigeria

Any disagreement on that?

WEll I would think Congo, Libya, Morroco would all be in the list somewhere, However I doubt it would be 4,5, and 6.

Back