What is the most influential battle in History?

JaegerWolf08

I was thinking the Battle of Austerlitz, But even earlier than that was the Battle of Thermopyle. Where a few hundred Spartans(original badasses) held of the reportedly 2 million man persian army, until the other Greeks could mount a defense.

Thats my two cents, lets hear what you got. Let's try to stay away from D-Day, that is a horse thats been beaten to death.

The battle of Poitiers in 732 where the Franks halted the arab expansion into europe. Who knows what europe would have looked like if the arabs had won that battle.

Animal Mother said:
The battle of Poitiers in 732 where the Franks halted the arab expansion into europe. Who knows what europe would have looked like if the arabs had won that battle.

i AGREE :rambo:

Hmm Im not sure. So many battles have been significant in history. But if you'd have to choose the greatest you would have to talk about ancient so I would probably say Battle of Marathon where 4,000 Spartans fought 24,000 Persians till there was no more Spartans left. They fought so the Athenians could retreat from the island. All the Spartans died but they killed 17,000 Persians. If that didn't happen then the greek culture which influenced basically all of the world, would of been different.

great battle

A battle that changed history was the Revolutionary War. We would have lost to the British. But we held strong. We would probably be drinking tea and working for a world that is in chaos.

Re: great battle

No MERCY said:
A battle that changed history was the Revolutionary War. We would have lost to the British. But we held strong. We would probably be drinking tea and working for a world that is in chaos.

What exactly is this supposed to mean? :p

Another really decisive battle was the battle of Chalons that took place in 451AD between Atilla's huns and the combined forces of the Roman General Aetius and the Visigoths comanded by King Theodoric. They managed to envelop the Hunnish armies who had, up until then, laid waste to everything in their path. The Huns lost over 200000 men in that one battle alone and it was the beginning of the end of the conquest of Europe by the 'Scourge of God' Atilla.

Another equally decisive event although not a battle as such, was the accidental death of Ghengis Khan in 1227AD, just when the Mongols, having utterly destroyed a combined force of 40000 Knights and other soldiers drawn from several European nations in Poland, were on the verge of the total conquest of Europe. Upon his death, the Mongol armies simply returned home with his body leaving Europe defenceless and on its knees before them, ready to be put to the sword.

How different would history have been had both those events had different outcomes.. The US as you know it today would not exist for starters.

meant

What I meant was we would not be the great country we are if britian took over. We would all have an accent probably. and the greatest things in the united states probably wouldn't have happened

Re: meant

Redleg said:
edited away ;)

While he could have worded things a bit differently .. I believe what he's trying to say has merit. Essentially, if the colonials would not have defeated the Brits, then the United States would not exist in her glory today. She would have remained a British controlled colony, and as far as we know, not a free democratic republic. That isn't really an insult, as they did in fact lose the war, and the United States was born of it. While not perfect, the US has brought good and positive things to the global table.

And No Mercy .. Americans do have an accent.

I have deleted my own post.. :oops:
And I agree that some of what he says does have some kind of merit, but the wording could have been a bit different..

Here in Norway we have a "saying" when it comes to radio communication, which I think may fit here:
Think
Push
Talk

Think about what you are going to say, Push the speak button, and then Talk.. ;)
It's just a piece of advice to you No Mercy, no offense ment, but some of your posts may be a bit difficult to understand (at least for me..).

Here in Norway we have a "saying" when it comes to radio communication, which I think may fit here:
Think
Push
Talk

Think about what you are going to say, Push the speak button, and then Talk..
It's just a piece of advice to you No Mercy, no offense ment, but some of your posts may be a bit difficult to understand (at least for me..).

Concur, El Capitán.

Redleg said:
I have deleted my own post.. :oops:
And I agree that some of what he says does have some kind of merit, but the wording could have been a bit different..

I understand what he meant as well (even if it was a bit jingoistic), but if the 2 events I mentioned had turned out differently there wouldn't have likely been an Anglo Saxon British Empire and therefore things in the USA would have worked out FAR differently.

One outcome is that North America today might have been predominantly muslim.

Interesting huh? :)

Re: great battle

Another really decisive battle was the battle of Chalons that took place in 451AD between Atilla's huns and the combined forces of the Roman General Aetius and the Visigoths comanded by King Theodoric. They managed to envelop the Hunnish armies who had, up until then, laid waste to everything in their path. The Huns lost over 200000 men in that one battle alone and it was the beginning of the end of the conquest of Europe by the 'Scourge of God' Atilla.

agreed :D

1st what if they arabs have controled europe? btw arabs arent all terrorist they have asmuch culture as northamericans ( that arent arab lol) and they probably have more...

2nd the world would have been in chaos if the british would have won the independance? lollllllll

Jtf2 said:
1st what if they arabs have controled europe? btw arabs arent all terrorist they have asmuch culture as northamericans ( that arent arab lol) and they probably have more...

Since when is culture quantifiable?

Stay on topic. (the above is a rhetorical question ;) )

Jtf2 said:

2nd the world would have been in chaos if the british would have won the independance? lollllllll

I didn't pass any judgement on what a muslim Europe and North America would be like. I happen to have a great deal of respect for other faiths (I'm Christian although I'm not really religious) and in no way was Attila the Hun or Ghengis Khan the bloodthirsty savages many in the west have made them out to be. Both were very intelligent men and Ghengis Khan in particular was a great administrator and very tolerant once he had conquered you :D

But given today's current clashes in the Middle East/Iraq it would have been very different had the outcome of those 2 events gone differently. Kim Stanley Robertson wrote a very interesting book called "The Years of Rice and Salt" which explored a world without Christians and where Islam and Buddahism dominated. Worth reading!

doppleganger said:
Kim Stanley Robertson wrote a very interesting book called "The Years of Rice and Salt" which explored a world without Christians and where Islam and Buddahism dominated. Worth reading!

While I am not a huge fan of alternative history, I have to agree, this is a book well worth reading.

i agree that the spartens when they fought to hold off the persains was very important but if it was not for the Allies winning the battle of normady we would all be speaking german or japaness

goaliedude66630 said:
i agree that the spartens when they fought to hold off the persains was very important but if it was not for the Allies winning the battle of normady we would all be speaking german or japaness

Hey there. Have a look at the Turning Point of WW2 thread for my take on what you said about the Battle of Normandy. It was a big campaign no doubt but other battles in WW2 had *far* more influence.

JaegerWolf08 said:
I was thinking the Battle of Austerlitz...[\quote]

That would be the "Battle of Nations", correct?

Being a Navy freak, I would say either the Battle of Trafalgar or the Battle of Yorktown. Trafalgar smashed a country's navy and crippled it for good...sorry, but the French Navy isn't the greatest even today.

Yorktown was an excellent joint land-sea mission that ended up in a liberated United States.

Just my humble opinion... :D

I don't know the name of the battle, but I saw a picture of it once. It was between the invading Mongols and the Russians. Something like 500,000 people dies that day. I actually saw a picture of it once. Anyone know the name?

Back