What is the most influential battle in History?

beersheba

the battle of Beersheba, where the palestine front was broken thru in 1917.
And it was one of the last great mounted charges in warfare that worked?
It was carried out by 4th and 12th Australian light horse regiments (actually mounted infantry) with the 11th lighthorse in reserve. they charged 4 miles to capture the wells in the town before the were blown up. against entrenched infantry and machine guns while only losing 32 men killed and the same number wounded.

Batle of Britain

If the R.A.F had lost the Battle of Britain then the German forces would have invaded Britain and we would have been undoubtedly beaten.

With Britain under German control we would have to surrender our Empire to to them such as Nornth Africa, which would mean no second front.

Resistance fighters in France would not get the equipment that they needed to keep up the harrassment of the Germans

There would be no place to launch D-Day from either unless Britain was re-captured first. But then the war would have dragged on for another two maybe three years at least.

The Battle of Britain prevented the Germans invading Britain and so led us to helping resistance, Jumping off points for D-Day and a second front.

The battle of Stalingrad. With a German victory, and russia almost certainly falling to Germany, Hitler could've focused all of his military on the Americans and British. No doubt the hardened veterans of the eastern front would have crushed the greenhorn invaders, many of whom hadnt seen any combat. No extensive training could've saved them had this been the case.

:rambo: WW2 Battle for Moscow followed closely by the Battle of Stalingrad.

I agree with Spartan ( a very clear thinker).

If the Germans had all their best divisions still existing and a full strength Luftwaffe available in 1944, they would have kicked our arses in Normandy! (a good forum topic)

I doubt we could have got off the beaches! Lucky Hitler went after the Soviets.

Remember folks, on D-Day the only high quality troops that the allies faced was at Omaha beach and look what happened. The Luftwaffe hardly existed. Rommels Panzer units were nowhere near the beaches (not Rommels choice!). The first Panzer division didn't really get into action until the next day around Caen on the Orne River.

The allies overwhelmed the Germans with their airforce and Naval Guns.
PanzerLehr Division was destroyed by US bombers during operation Cobra. Das Reich Panzer Division was shot to pieces from the air as they tried to move to Normandy and then got belted by naval guns at Normandy. Montgomery destroyed the Germans at Caen (and most of Caen itself) due to saturation bombing.

Sure the Germans were still dangerous as a fighting force but by 1944 they had most of the stuffing knocked out of them and were spread way to thin over multiple fronts.

There was a battle between i think charlemange? (cant remember how to spell his name) and the muslims in the south of france in the 12-13th centuries that prevented the muslims from capturing any more of europe!
I think the battle of britain was very important as it showed that the luftwaffe could be beaten, it boosted morale and started the move towards allied victory, as if this battle had been lost there would of been fewer convoys to russia so they would not of had the supplies for stalingrad, moscow kursk etc. There would of been no staging post for the normandy landings and who knows how long it would of taken before america got involved in the european sector of the war as there would of been no bases for them!

skywalker said:
There was a battle between i think charlemange? (cant remember how to spell his name) and the muslims in the south of france in the 12-13th centuries that prevented the muslims from capturing any more of europe!
I think the battle of britain was very important as it showed that the luftwaffe could be beaten, it boosted maorale and started the move towards allied victory, as if this battle had been lost there would of been fewer convoys to russia so they would not of had the supplies for stalingrad, moscow kursk etc. There would of been no staging post for the normandy landings and who knows how long it would of taken before america got involved in the european sector of the war as there would of been no bases for them!

Yes, good comments. It has always made me wonder how the war would have gone if the RAF had been beaten. The Germans really didn't have the boats to invade Britain with. I don't think the German generals and Hitler were that keen on invading. He left it up to the Luftwaffe to pound the Brits hoping they would sue for some kind of peace. The Luftwaffe should have kept bombing the airfields. Hitler was to keen to get stuck into the Soviets.

Hitler was the cause of many losses for the germans such as the battle of britain where he ordered them to stop bombing the airfields and bomb london! He sent an under prepared army to russia (just like napoleon)! He interfeared in many aspects of the german army-i think i am right in saying that he did not allow the introduction of the first submachine gun into the german army until it was too late!
With the RAF gone britain would of had to surrender though not without a fight!

Young 1 said:
I don't know the name of the battle, but I saw a picture of it once. It was between the invading Mongols and the Russians. Something like 500,000 people dies that day. I actually saw a picture of it once. Anyone know the name?

If I'm not mistaken it could be the battle of Chernigov, with the Russians commandeered by Ilya Muromets.

From my British perspective I'd definitely say the Battle of Britain and D-Day were candidates for the key battles in history.

Personally, though, I agree the key war was the American Revolution, but if we have to narrow it down to a particular battle I'd say George Washington at Trenton.

After a series of rebel defeats, starting in Long Island in August 1776, leading to the evacuation of New York, it was really the crossing of the Delaware and the defeat of the Hessians at Trenton the day after Christmas which turned the tide of the war.

After the Revolutionary War ended, the Second British Empire came into being, with India, Australia and New Zealand, and the world's oceans coming under British control. The military empire which the Americans fought against became more concerned with individual rights, to the degree that it abolished the slave trade in 1807 and Mary Wollstonecraft was able to write the Vindication of the Rights of Woman in 1792. Unfortunately it still did its fair share of impoverishing the native peoples, but there we are.

Meanwhile, the French revolution which came about in 1789 was surely inspired by the American events, and with that came the rise of Napoleon and the French domination of continental Europe for most of the 19th century.

So, a critical battle. And one which would have turned the other way had Colonel Rall of the Hessians prepared field positions, or read the note which a spy sent on Christmas Day warning of the attack. As it was, the note remained unread, the Hessians were shot down in the streets of Trenton, and the world changed.

And as for the rebels? Well, they seem to have done well for themselves, even if they do have a cute accent :)

Milvian Bridge, 312 AD, The Army of Constantine defeats the Army of Maxentius even though heavilly outnumbered, and establishes christianity as the West's leading ideology.

Re: great battle

Doppleganger said:
Another equally decisive event although not a battle as such, was the accidental death of Ghengis Khan in 1227AD, just when the Mongols, having utterly destroyed a combined force of 40000 Knights and other soldiers drawn from several European nations in Poland, were on the verge of the total conquest of Europe. Upon his death, the Mongol armies simply returned home with his body leaving Europe defenceless and on its knees before them, ready to be put to the sword.

You mean Ogedai Khan, son of Ghengis Khan. Ghengis Khan was dead well before the Battle of Liegnitz where the Mongols wiped out that force, etc. Sad thing is, numerous 'credible' sources screw that one up too. It was Ghengis Khan who sent Subedai on the Great Raid, which to my thinking implies that he ultimately planned to conquer Russia eventually.

What I'd really like to find out is this: Why is it that Mongolian History always gets mistold/mixed up/distorted or flatly blown completely out of proportion??

Well anyways, the most important battles ... all of those claimed are really good. I'd say its Milvan Bridge vs Thermopolae depending on whether you think Christianity or Greek Culture is the more important aspect of Western Culture. I think Greek Culture has made a greater impact overall so Thermopolae would be my choice.

Re: great battle

godofthunder9010 said:
Doppleganger said:
Another equally decisive event although not a battle as such, was the accidental death of Ghengis Khan in 1227AD, just when the Mongols, having utterly destroyed a combined force of 40000 Knights and other soldiers drawn from several European nations in Poland, were on the verge of the total conquest of Europe. Upon his death, the Mongol armies simply returned home with his body leaving Europe defenceless and on its knees before them, ready to be put to the sword.

You mean Ogedai Khan, son of Ghengis Khan. Ghengis Khan was dead well before the Battle of Liegnitz where the Mongols wiped out that force, etc. Sad thing is, numerous 'credible' sources screw that one up too. It was Ghengis Khan who sent Subedai on the Great Raid, which to my thinking implies that he ultimately planned to conquer Russia eventually.

What I'd really like to find out is this: Why is it that Mongolian History always gets mistold/mixed up/distorted or flatly blown completely out of proportion??

Well anyways, the most important battles ... all of those claimed are really good. I'd say its Milvan Bridge vs Thermopolae depending on whether you think Christianity or Greek Culture is the more important aspect of Western Culture. I think Greek Culture has made a greater impact overall so Thermopolae would be my choice.

Yeah you're right. It wasn't Ghengis Khan but you'll be amazed at the number of sources who state that it was.

Hm

The Battle of Britain was the most important battle of all time for reasons discussed previously

but

A battle that changed history was the Revolutionary War. We would have lost to the British. But we held strong. We would probably be drinking tea and working for a world that is in chaos.

A world in chaos? Why? As part of the Empire, now Commonwealth, the world would be a bit more stable or at least no different from now

What I meant was we would not be the great country we are if britian took over. We would all have an accent probably. and the greatest things in the united states probably wouldn't have happened

But you do have an accent! If Britain had retained America, the chances are you WOULDN’T have an accent

She would have remained a British controlled colony, and as far as we know, not a free democratic republic.

No, you would have been a free, democratic country with a Parliament and a Monarch and slavery would have been abolished a lot earlier

IrishWizard said:
Hmm Im not sure. So many battles have been significant in history. But if you'd have to choose the greatest you would have to talk about ancient so I would probably say Battle of Marathon where 4,000 Spartans fought 24,000 Persians till there was no more Spartans left. They fought so the Athenians could retreat from the island. All the Spartans died but they killed 17,000 Persians. If that didn't happen then the greek culture which influenced basically all of the world, would of been different.
That wasn't Marathon that was Thermopoly. Marathon was fought without Sparta becuase of a religious holiday.

Back