What is military cuisine like during battle?

My aunt gave me an MRE once.... It comes with a little bottle of Tobacco Sauce... It isn't that bad if i can recall correctly, but that was like 5 years ago they might of changed it.

Happily, they no longer make the omlette one. That was completely disgusting. MRE crackers are the driest thing known to man. Still, the US military used to have hard tack for rations, so MRE's are progress I guess.

The new MRE's are a heckuva lot better than the first generation MRE's. Those darn things made ya miss Charlie Rat's.

03USMC said:
The new MRE's are a heckuva lot better than the first generation MRE's. Those darn things made ya miss Charlie Rat's.

But I loved the dehydrated pork patty and the chicken ala king, and the heavy "nut breads", the new MRE's are 5 star dining compared to the first generation. Most of my long tern field time was from 85 to 90, the "first generation" crap was the meal of the day, along with the bottle of tabasco, supplied by the PX. I thought B rats were not that bad either, at least the mess hydrated them before serving.... :shock:

MRE's and Mermacs hot meals when you cn get them. It really depends on where you are during battle.

yes..an army marches on its stomach....

in addition to MREs and such, tray packs were very popular. these are large, non -perishable tv dinners for a group of 10 soldiers, or five hungry marines.

The development of combat rations is a very very serious subject in any organization that deals with logistics.

http://www.olive-drab.com/od_rations.php a link to the past...

http://www.natick.army.mil/soldier/about/food/content.htm and possibly the future

For a while, long range recon patrols (LRRPS) used a dehydrated meal, usally spaggetti or some such meal) that was totally dehydrated...made for an interesting time because although it could be eaten cold and unhydrated, it was better when hot. simply putting the hydrated bag in the sunlight would thouroughly heat the meal in about an hour. of course crackers were standard with it.

it pays to know...since eating was one of my main pleasures...lol. i had to cut out the wine women and song long before... :D

Chocolate nut cake was the bomb yo! I don't know nuttin bout no T-rations or Mirmite can chow that must be some army and air force bennies.
Hulk did you actually buy yer tabasco from the PX? I usually "aquired" mine from the chow hall. ;)

Some of the MRE's are not all to bad in my opinion (beef stew, macaroni and chilli) but after having strickly MRE's for even a weekend you begin to mix them up and invent things, such as Ranger pudding (consisting of all the chocolate dairy mix, sugar, dairy creamer, and chocolate milk you can find. Give or take an ingrediant. Mix them all up with a tiny bit of water. Good stuff. It's also got like... 600 calories.

Thing about it is you can only eat "Meals Refused by Ethiopians" for so long before you do irrepairable damage to your taste buds. A few years of eating them and you can eat anything and say "I have had worse."

"Meals Refused by Ethiopians" that's a super one :D

Ready To Eat, put som duck meat in there, should be great.

They have a MRE website here:
http://www.mreinfo.com/

Sopakco12-YellowGrn-200-gn.jpg

Let's not forget about pogy bait!!! For all you civilians and aspiring military pepes, pogy bait is anything type of food a soldier brings with him/her to the field. Popular items include ramen noodles, beef jerkey, vieanna sausages, mac & cheese (iraq), soda...the list goes on and on.

03USMC said:
Chocolate nut cake was the bomb yo! I don't know nuttin bout no T-rations or Mirmite can chow that must be some army and air force bennies.
Hulk did you actually buy yer tabasco from the PX? I usually "aquired" mine from the chow hall. ;)

Not all the time.... :shock: Still liked the true tabasco over the chowhall crap....

Come on hulk ya didn't like Red Rooster Lousiana Hot Sauce? But your right Tabasco was better. Ya just had to hide the real stuff those tube monkies in 81's were famous for liberatin it if ya had to drop packs. :lol:

03USMC said:
Come on hulk ya didn't like Red Rooster Lousiana Hot Sauce? But your right Tabasco was better. Ya just had to hide the real stuff those tube monkies in 81's were famous for liberatin it if ya had to drop packs. :lol:

Yeah, I got to agree with you there....I liked the excuse though, "We had to grab our goods", like you I started as a gunner and wondered why the h*** they would go through my crap when I didn't hump any extra rounds for them. Lost many Powerbars too! Started keeping it in my 782 gear, even grabed an extra magazine pouch to keep it safe!

Hulk they Had to go thru yer gear cuz thats where yer pogie bait was. :lol: Those guys in 81's were like Ali Babba and the 40 thieves when it came to rat #$**in dropped packs.

Back