What is military cuisine like during battle?

--

September 18th, 2004  
Red_Army

Topic: What is military cuisine like during battle?

What kind of food do soldiers eat during battle?
September 18th, 2004  
godofthunder9010

MRE's.
September 18th, 2004  
AsianAmerican

My aunt gave me an MRE once.... It comes with a little bottle of Tobacco Sauce... It isn't that bad if i can recall correctly, but that was like 5 years ago they might of changed it.
--
September 18th, 2004  
godofthunder9010

Happily, they no longer make the omlette one. That was completely disgusting. MRE crackers are the driest thing known to man. Still, the US military used to have hard tack for rations, so MRE's are progress I guess.
September 20th, 2004  
Duty Honor Country

MRE's are not all that bad until you've had them for 2 months straight. At that point, eating became painful
September 20th, 2004  
03USMC

The new MRE's are a heckuva lot better than the first generation MRE's. Those darn things made ya miss Charlie Rat's.
September 20th, 2004  
Trevor

We have IMP's (Individual Meal Packages), similar to C-rations or MREs.
September 21st, 2004  
Lil Hulk 1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03USMC
The new MRE's are a heckuva lot better than the first generation MRE's. Those darn things made ya miss Charlie Rat's.
But I loved the dehydrated pork patty and the chicken ala king, and the heavy "nut breads", the new MRE's are 5 star dining compared to the first generation. Most of my long tern field time was from 85 to 90, the "first generation" crap was the meal of the day, along with the bottle of tabasco, supplied by the PX. I thought B rats were not that bad either, at least the mess hydrated them before serving....
September 21st, 2004  
SOT_II

Topic: Re: What is military cuisine like during battle?

MRE's and Mermacs hot meals when you cn get them. It really depends on where you are during battle.
September 21st, 2004  
Mark Conley

yes..an army marches on its stomach....

in addition to MREs and such, tray packs were very popular. these are large, non -perishable tv dinners for a group of 10 soldiers, or five hungry marines.

The development of combat rations is a very very serious subject in any organization that deals with logistics.

http://www.olive-drab.com/od_rations.php a link to the past...

http://www.natick.army.mil/soldier/a...od/content.htm and possibly the future

For a while, long range recon patrols (LRRPS) used a dehydrated meal, usally spaggetti or some such meal) that was totally dehydrated...made for an interesting time because although it could be eaten cold and unhydrated, it was better when hot. simply putting the hydrated bag in the sunlight would thouroughly heat the meal in about an hour. of course crackers were standard with it.

it pays to know...since eating was one of my main pleasures...lol. i had to cut out the wine women and song long before...