What is military cuisine like during battle?

EternalOne said:
I had an MRE once it had to be the best beef stew id ever eaten????? :D

if you crush up the crackers and mix it in with the beef stew, it makes for a good combo. Some people also like to throw in a pack of cheese too.

Us Brits get Compo. Best bit is probably the brew kit, although I still can't work out what the Non-Dairy Whitener is made of...washing powder, perhaps?
Hot chocolate mixed with porridge oats is a favourite amongst most squaddies. Most of the boil in the bag stuff is good;corned beef hash is my current favourite.
In battle, tho', I tend to eat the dirt... :horsie:

Amen to that troop rupert,
I don't know why everyone grumbles so much about the british rat paks, though i have the veggitarian one so that might be better.
brew kit ain't bad, though the matches are useless, take an hour to light, don't last long enough to get a hexi going, and i'm probably the only person to have a wind proof get blown out. Though the best part of any rat pack it that little bag of boiled sweets:). as for my favourite boil in the bag the vegitable curries pretty gd.

Is there actually a decent biscuit in any rat pack, MRE etc? the fruit ones aren't terrbile but nothing to write home about I reckon the biscuit brown's are actually the final weapon, run outta ammo and zap chinese death biscuits.

Troop Rupert said:
Us Brits get Compo. Best bit is probably the brew kit, although I still can't work out what the Non-Dairy Whitener is made of...washing powder, perhaps?
Hot chocolate mixed with porridge oats is a favourite amongst most squaddies. Most of the boil in the bag stuff is good;corned beef hash is my current favourite.
In battle, tho', I tend to eat the dirt... :horsie:

Yep! Thats a Rog! I remember the Choccy Oats trick -- loved it. Agree with the dirt remark too - leave the caterin' til after the rounds have stopped flyin' :)

Wait, why is it called Pogy Bait... do you place it in a trap, like a big rock held up by a stick and wait for the Comms. guy to walk by and try to snatch it up, then pulling the string?

I tell ya'll what...when your hungry it don't matter if you've been eating MRE's for 2 months...you'll eat it. The thing is when your not hungry nothing tastes good...not even a 2 month old pogey bait "Snickers" candy bar.... :D

Rear Area personel. Clerks,cooks etc. Are pogues in the Parlance of the Corps. They will do anything for candy, gum ,donuts, etc.
So if you want something done you use Pogey Bait.

Back