what medals and ribbons do YOU have?

I've only been in the Marines for four years now, but I got:
Purple Heart
Navy & Marine Corps Achievement
Combat Action Ribbon
National Defense Service Medal(with Bronze star)
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal
Afghanistan Campaign Medal
Iraq Campaign Medal
Global War on Terrorism (Expeditionary)
Global War on Terrorism (Service)
NATO Medal

I'm currently in Iraq now so come next May, I'll be placing an Bronze Oak Leaf on my Iraq Campaign ribbion.

National Defense Service Medal
Eligible periods

In the years since the creation of the National Defense Service Medal, it is authorized only for the following time periods.
  • June 27, 1950 to July 27, 1954 for service during the Korean War
  • January 1, 1961 to August 14, 1974 for service during the Vietnam War
  • August 2, 1990 to November 30, 1995 for service during the Gulf War
  • September 11, 2001 to a date to be announced for service during the War on Terrorism
If you have been in for 4 years you should only qualify for the NDSM, no bronze service star, unless you have had a break in service.

Iraq Campaign Medal
According to the way the award is written, you get 1 bronze star for serving in Iraq during a specific period.

The following are the established combat campaigns authorized for service stars to the Iraq Campaign Medal[1].
  • Liberation of Iraq – March 19, 2003 to May 1, 2003.
  • Transition of Iraq – May 2, 2003 to June 28, 2004.
  • Iraqi Governance – June 29, 2004 to Dec. 15, 2005.
  • National Resolution – Dec. 16, 2005 to Jan. 9, 2007.
  • The Surge - Jan. 10, 2007, to Dec. 31, 2008
  • Iraqi Sovereignty - Jan. 1, 2009 until a date to be determined.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iraq_Campaign_Medal

GWOT Expeditionary and Service Medals
A similar decoration, known as the Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal, also was created under the same Presidential Order that authorized the GWOT Service Medal. The primary difference between the two awards is that the service medal is intended for those who performed duty within the United States while the expeditionary medal recognizes those who were deployed to foreign countries.
Service members may be awarded both the GWOTEM and the GWOTSM if they meet the criteria for both awards; however, the qualifying period used to establish eligibility for one award cannot be used to justify eligibility for the other award.[3]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_War_on_Terrorism_Service_Medal

Your post above indicates you have been in the service for 4 years. You have deployed to Afghanistan and Iraq and been deployed stateside? Not sure of deployment lengths for Marines but it would appear you have been very busy. You also imply that this is your second tour in Iraq. Can you explain?

I've only been in the Marines for four years now, but I got:
Purple Heart
Navy & Marine Corps Achievement
Combat Action Ribbon
National Defense Service Medal(with Bronze star)
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal
Iraq Campaign Medal
Global War on Terrorism (Expeditionary)
Global War on Terrorism (Service)
NATO Medal

I'm currently in Iraq now so come next May, I'll be placing an Bronze Oak Leaf on my Iraq Campaign ribbion.

PM me concerning this post.

Eligible periods

In the years since the creation of the National Defense Service Medal, it is authorized only for the following time periods.
  • June 27, 1950 to July 27, 1954 for service during the Korean War
  • January 1, 1961 to August 14, 1974 for service during the Vietnam War
  • August 2, 1990 to November 30, 1995 for service during the Gulf War
  • September 11, 2001 to a date to be announced for service during the War on Terrorism
If you have been in for 4 years you should only qualify for the NDSM, no bronze service star, unless you have had a break in service.

Iraq Campaign Medal
According to the way the award is written, you get 1 bronze star for serving in Iraq during a specific period.

The following are the established combat campaigns authorized for service stars to the Iraq Campaign Medal[1].
  • Liberation of Iraq – March 19, 2003 to May 1, 2003.
  • Transition of Iraq – May 2, 2003 to June 28, 2004.
  • Iraqi Governance – June 29, 2004 to Dec. 15, 2005.
  • National Resolution – Dec. 16, 2005 to Jan. 9, 2007.
  • The Surge - Jan. 10, 2007, to Dec. 31, 2008
  • Iraqi Sovereignty - Jan. 1, 2009 until a date to be determined.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iraq_Campaign_Medal

GWOT Expeditionary and Service Medals
A similar decoration, known as the Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal, also was created under the same Presidential Order that authorized the GWOT Service Medal. The primary difference between the two awards is that the service medal is intended for those who performed duty within the United States while the expeditionary medal recognizes those who were deployed to foreign countries.
Service members may be awarded both the GWOTEM and the GWOTSM if they meet the criteria for both awards; however, the qualifying period used to establish eligibility for one award cannot be used to justify eligibility for the other award.[3]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_War_on_Terrorism_Service_Medal

Your post above indicates you have been in the service for 4 years. You have deployed to Afghanistan and Iraq and been deployed stateside? Not sure of deployment lengths for Marines but it would appear you have been very busy. You also imply that this is your second tour in Iraq. Can you explain?

I'm pretty sure an MSG understands the eligibilty for the service medals and campaign medals. Which leads me to the question of how you rate a subsequent award star on your NDSM given your claimed time in service?

I've read and laughed through some of these posts. When i joined it was rare to someone with more than 3 or 4, unless he was a real old sweat! Now our guys are in and out of combat zones like billy'o', so they're racking them up at an alarming rate, shame that it has to happen that way, but that is the nature of active service.

I have a couple of active service medals, of which I'm immensly proud and a couple of gizzits, which I like, but overall the best accolade I ever had was my troop buying my beer all night - did they pay that night!! It's not the medals, but the soldiers which make it all, they can show their respect or lack of it in so many ways. To my mind a medal is reflection of other peoples endeavour. For those that receive the award, I'm always pleased to see that they recognise other peoples efforts, for those that don't, do not worry, you're efforts arfe always appreciated, I for one will raise a glass to all of you, just let me know how many glasses I need to raise and I'll get started.

When I came from Active duty to ROTC the cadets were ooohed and aaahed by my fruit salad. Many times I had to explain to them that I rated most of the awards because I simply went to combat. Nothing more, nothing less. Or that many of them were "I showed up" ribbons. Very few of my awards actually mean anything, but my most coveted are my combat action badge and my 3rd Infantry Division Combat patch from the invasion of Iraq (and the PUC that came with it.)

Just the important ones
Parachutist badge
CIB
SF Long Tab-retroactive
Couple PHs

Some of the youngsters are racking them up these days

Yeah well when you figure that you may rate at least 3 ribbons simply for being in and deploying the racks stack up quick.

I'm talking about real combat stuff.
Not he PX stuff.

I'll give credit where it;s due.
Some of these youngsters have really been dipped in it.

You should take off some of that salt and sprinkle it on the rest of us. One type of award that is NOT being given out in quantity are valor awards...not for lack of oppurtunities either. But that's a whole other issue.

If you don't have a book yet, good resources online...

Gentlemen,
If you are looking to identify ribbons or medals or any other uniform items, it's handy to have a book on the subject. If you don't yet have one, there are some good MilitaryMedals resources online.

"A prisoner of war is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him."
-Winston Churchill

Ribbons2.jpg

Typical USAF rack, then again I wasn't home much during my 23 years in uniform. From top to bottom they are as follows:

AF Meritorious Service Medal
AF Commendation Medal 3 BOLC
AF Acheivement Medal
Gallant Unit Citation
Joint Meritorious Unit Award
Meritorious Unit Award
AF Outstanding Unit Award w/ Valor 2 SOLC, 1 BOLC
AF Outstanding Unit Award 3 BOLC
AF Good Conduct Medal 2 BOLC
Air Reserve Forces Meritorious Service Medal 2 BOLC
National Defense Service Medal 1 BS
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal 1 BS
Southwest Asia Service Medal 2 BS
Afghanistan Campaign Medal 1 BS
GWOT Expeditionary Medal
GWOT Service Medal
Armed Forces Service Medal
Humanitarian Service Medal
AF Overseas Ribbon Long
AF Expeditionary Service Ribbon w/ Gold Border 2 BOLC
AF Longevity Service Award 4 BOLC
Armed Forces Reserve Medal 1 BHG, 4 Mobilization Devices
AF NCO PME Ribbon 1 BOLC
Small Arms Marksmanship Ribbon
AF Training Ribbon
NATO Medal

Mike
USAF Retired

Last edited:
I agree with you 100% "if we are going to war we should prepare from the neck up along with from the neck down, especially if we have to be on foreign land!!" I was in the Gulf War which has been compared to the Korean War as far as length and violence, but I and we still have mental issues along with physical.

Last edited:
cccddVtxxx11W3HHHXVbcccddVtxxx11W3HHHXVbcccddVtxxx11W3B1x9wEZRFGufju7bAAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==
cccddVtxxx11W3HHHXVbcccddVtxxx11W3HHHXVbcccddVtxxx11W3B1x9wEZRFGufju7bAAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==
XEVKbcAAAAASUVORK5CYII=
XEVKbcAAAAASUVORK5CYII=
cact.gif
natdef.gif
afgcm.gif
XEVKbcAAAAASUVORK5CYII=
gwotsm.gif
nato_msm.gif
XEVKbcAAAAASUVORK5CYII=
and a Purple Heart that for some reason does not want to be posted????

I've only a two year devil pup and have been to Afghan. for some reason i do not have the gwot ex because i wasnt deployed long enough... o well

Last edited:
ARCOM-1
AAM-5
ICM-1
GWOT/SM-1
ASR-1
AFEM-1
NUC-1
KDSM-1
NCODP- 1
GCM-3
NDM- 1
AOR- 1

(Think that's everything)

Well lets see i have(or will have for the give me ribbons for this deployment), from top to bottom
Air Force Commendation Medal, +2 BOL

Air Force Achievement Medal

Joint Meritorious Unit Citation
Air Force Meritorious Unit Award,+ 2 BOL
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award
Air Force Good Conduct Medal, BOL

GWOT Expeditionary Medal
GWOT Service Medal

Air Force Overseas Ribbon (short),+2 BOL

Air Force Overseas Ribbon (long)

Air Force Expeditionary Service Ribbon, GB +2 BOL

Air Force Expeditionary Service Ribbon

Air Force Longevity Service Award Ribbon

AF Professional Military Ed. Graduate Ribbon

Small Arms Expert Marksmanship Ribbon
M-4
Air Force Basic Training Ribbon

NATO Medal non-article 5 ISAF Meddal

For some reason it shows a Germany flag for me, it just asked where I lived, and I'm stationed in Germany. Just wanted to clarify.

Last edited:
Spartan,

The reason why you don't have the GWOT-E is because you received the Afghanistan ribbon instead. The GWOT-E is mostly for areas outside of Iraq and Afghanistan. Unless you deployed to one of those countries before there was a medal for them, in which they would have given you both (Iraq and GWOT-E, or Afghanistan and GWOT-E) once they were introduced.

It's easier to do this. Plus 2 OLC and a V
device on my Arcom. 2 OLC on my AAM.
2 Campaign stars on my OIF ribbon.
ph.png
acm.png
aam.png
gcm.png
ndsm.png
afem.png
icm.png
gwotem.png
gwotsm.png