what medals and ribbons do YOU have?

Zander...You asked me what I meant by the government doing on the cheap, can imaging fighting in about dozen conflicts all over the world and you get one medal for all that and a dozen small bars which name each conflict that fit over the top of medal. the Medal will cost the Government about £10.00 and each bar will cost just a few pence.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, the Americans do the same thing -- for each subsequent award of the same medal, you simply put a little star or device on your ribbon and medal.

Well, atleast you guys get the glory! In my country, very seldom any one in my country gets awards. Besides the Long Service award, I don't think much awards are given out. I know of one guy who got the SEAL badge on his uniform, very big and nice!

zander_0633 said:
BTW, is it true that the more action you see, the more ribbons you get?

Nope, it isn't true. Just because a guy has a fruit salad (alot of medals) big enough to feed a small country doesn't necessarily mean he has seen any "action" outside of some over flowing toilets and maybe a paper cut. There are a lot of fluff medals out there, and even some that aren't are awarded to guys that may not have seen anything their entire career.

(Btw, my comments are not directed towards or even in reference to Senior Chief's rack)

RibbonRack.JPG

RibbonRack.jpg

In order of precedence:
- Commendation Medal
- Achievement Medal
- Unit Commendation w/ 1 bronze star
- Crisis Response Service Award
- Commissioned Corps Training Ribbon (basically our version of graduating from basic officers course)

OSBadge.jpg

Office of the Secretary Badge

Last edited:
I have the Vietnam Service Medal, National Defence and the Good Conduct medals. Inquiring about combat action and Vietnam Campaign Medals.

While I was in the 47th Arty, we wore a Presidential Unit Citation that was earned in WWII by a legacy unit. What struck me as odd is that the 56th Arty I was in just before I was mustered out was awarded a Navy PUC in the Korean conflict. It seems the N Koreans had fortified their batteries facing the bay and the Naval guns couldn't do enough damage so a field arty battery dug in on their flank and took out their guns.

I also still have the ribbon from Mary Jane Henley's pony tail. :love:

Last edited:
Maybe someone here can answer this question --How is it possible to have been awarded the NDSM when I have been out of the National Guard since 1989 and never saw any active duty ??

Must've been an error in processing your DD-214. I'm assuming you weren't awarded the medal while you were in uniform?

Must've been an error in processing your DD-214. I'm assuming you weren't awarded the medal while you were in uniform?
No in fact I didn't recieve my ASR until 05' and that was only because I asked about it since it was listed on my NGB-22 form (Report of Separation and Record of Service)

Last edited:
No in fact I didn't recieve my ASR until 05' and that was only because I asked about it since it was listed on my NGB-22 form (Report of Separation and Record of Service)

Is it possible the medal was awarded to your unit for action/duty performed before you got out but was not presented until after you got out?

This is what I rate:

Current as of: Apr 03, 2007
WT GLOBAL WAR ON TERRORISM SERVICE MEDAL 1
WT.gif

LA LETTER OF APPRECIATION 3
LA.gif

GC MARINE CORPS GOOD CONDUCT MEDAL 1
GC.gif

NN NATIONAL DEFENSE SERVICE MEDAL 1
NN.gif

NU NAVY UNIT COMMENDATION 1
NU.gif

MT MERITORIOUS MAST 1
MT.gif

Can ya believe it? I have been working in billets at least one pay grade above mine the entire 4+ years I have been in and never received any recognition other than a pat on the back. I also have one Certificate of Commendation that I still need to submit to the Unit Diary.

EDIT:

There are a few that I noticed that may have forgotten medals they rate. If this is the case please edit to make sure that you have listed all of what you rate. The reason I say this is that some of what I have read in this thread does not jive with what I know. For the Marines on this forum: Check Marine Online and list what it has there for you under the awards section (see above).

If I recall correctly: If you have served for 1+ months I believe you rate the GWOT (service) medal. If you have deployed for 30+ days in support of OIF or OEF you rate the GWOT (Expeditionary).

Note: The National defense ribbon is not a "fire watch" ribbon. It is a ribbon (last I knew) given out to those persons serving during a time of war. http://www.gruntsmilitary.com/natdef.shtml

Last edited:
Is it possible the medal was awarded to your unit for action/duty performed before you got out but was not presented until after you got out?
That's a possibility since I enlisted in a Signal Company but finished my enlistment with an Armored Company.

Last edited:
There's still something fishy, though -- NDSM is only awarded for defined periods of time, and only for active-duty personnel. If you never saw active duty, then you shouldn't have been awarded the NDSM. Unless your unit was activated at some point...?

And another thing: if you got out in 1989, then it was before Desert Shield/Storm. Supposedly, the NDSM wasn't awarded between Vietnam and the first Gulf War. So you would have had to have been activated for active duty for Vietnam. You wouldn't had to have been activated for deployment, just activated for Federal active duty.

The only way to know what's in your military records is to go to http://www.archives.gov/veterans/evetrecs/ and follow the instructions.

I requested a copy of my DD-214 because my copy didn't list my NDSM, I was in from 1962-1965, and Good Conduct Medal. The copy you receive is poor at best and usually wrong. Your PERSCOM jacket with original copies
is correct. The copy I got when I separated listed an Expert badge for M1 carbine, Sharpshooter with M1 Rifle, and a Marksman with Missile and .45 Pistol hangers.
I requested an updated copy which was a DD-215 and it listed a GC medal, NDSM, Expert M1-Carbine and Missile hangers and Sharpshooter with M1-Rifle hanger.

Last edited:
All the info I recieved came from St Louis ( MPRC)
---------------
Missileer I'm sorry if this thread is going off track that was not my intention.

In Australia we never got any gongs for doing our JOB right.
That is one thing ill never understand about yanks, you get a medal for anything and everything "PTE XXX, YOU ARE HEREBY AWARDED THE SNAPPY SALUTE MEDAL, WELL DONE SON"
Dont take this personally, but what a load of wank
And dont get me wrong, Campaign/service medals are not what i am talking about. of course these have merit.
As do Decorations (not like the christmas tree type)

Back