What make a great comander ?

--

January 19th, 2009  
Blackadder

Topic: What make a great comander ?

What are the 'special' qualities displayed by a 'great' rather than a 'good' commander ?
January 19th, 2009  
SHERMAN

i moved this to military related discussions, as its a general military issue not a history question.

I would have to say that the noumber one thing is the ability to take right choices fast even when faced with partial information.
January 20th, 2009  
Spartacus

I would say showing qualities of greatness.

EX: LTC Hal Moore
--
January 20th, 2009  
AB_Shorts_Momma

The ability to lead.
January 20th, 2009  
maro

asertiveness and charisma
January 20th, 2009  
AB_Shorts_Momma

Charisma is a definate. Exellent, Maro!

I know there will be many who disagree... But I believe that a great COMMANDER has to be a MAN. (Most men truly don't want a woman as a commander).
January 20th, 2009  
c/Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB_Shorts_Momma
Charisma is a definate. Exellent, Maro!

I know there will be many who disagree... But I believe that a great COMMANDER has to be a MAN. (Most men truly don't want a woman as a commander).
I tend to disagree. I don't care who's giving the orders as long as they're the right orders.
January 20th, 2009  
NCO-for-life

Depends his rank. A Company Commander needs to be DUDE, not neccesarily male, but manly anyway. Then again A Brigade Commander needs to be calm and very charismatic...
January 20th, 2009  
Sven Ortmann

The great commander is a good commander who has additionally studied and understood military history; many conflict, many nations, many periods.
January 21st, 2009  
AB_Shorts_Momma

Great leaders are almost always great simplifiers, who can cut through argument, debate and doubt, to offer a solution everybody can understand.
Colin Powell