What make a great comander ?

i moved this to military related discussions, as its a general military issue not a history question.

I would have to say that the noumber one thing is the ability to take right choices fast even when faced with partial information.

Charisma is a definate. Exellent, Maro!

I know there will be many who disagree... But I believe that a great COMMANDER has to be a MAN. (Most men truly don't want a woman as a commander).

Charisma is a definate. Exellent, Maro!

I know there will be many who disagree... But I believe that a great COMMANDER has to be a MAN. (Most men truly don't want a woman as a commander).

I tend to disagree. I don't care who's giving the orders as long as they're the right orders.

Depends his rank. A Company Commander needs to be DUDE, not neccesarily male, but manly anyway. Then again A Brigade Commander needs to be calm and very charismatic...

The great commander is a good commander who has additionally studied and understood military history; many conflict, many nations, many periods.

I'd have thought common-sense, the ability to think a problem through logically, the ability to lead one's troops, rather than push them forwards into harms way.... would be attributes of a great commander

dash is all well and good, but reckless abandon gets people killed

AHOY, great question Blackadder.

Let me suggest you read post 19 of my thread Fragmented fighting facts. It covers Candor, Commitment, and the most important quality of all for a leader, Competence.

G-day!

A great commander is one that wins wars, hides his mistakes and has a great publicity manger

AHOY, IMO this is truly the path to be coming a general/politician.

However I remind my fellow IMF members of the saying, "The best officers are the Colonels that don't make general". G-day!

Last edited:
Well I have no idea its been a long while since I have ever seen a great leader in general through out my life, through out politics and so on. To be honest I seen better leaders in Japanese animes then I have in real life (i.e. shikamaru, Kenpachi etc) and yes they're only from teen animes but whatever not my point, in all honestly I roam alone so a great commander doesn't concern me as much not to mention I'm not in the military at all.

as Jarhead said and many military jokes I have heard off an on is

"The best officers are the Colonels that don't make general"

But if your looking for a great commander that is only in side you.You are the one amongst your brother's in war, you see what is needed and what is not.You know for a fact that certain thing must happen and must not.What your asking is not what makes a great commandor but what makes a great leader and that my friend's is the question of he new decade.

I have no idea what you may look for in the future but know it starts with you remember these few things

1)No matter who tell's you no, there is someone who will tell you yes

2) No matter who tell's you know there is someone who will tell you yes

3) Never for one millisecond second minute hour day year century or millennium ever get discouraged at all cause rather you know it or not (well since your military and well we all know this) your always being watched and being targeted or supported

keep these things in mind as you look for a great commander then you will see that the great commander is you yourself, or the person to your right or left

Cheers and good will now have fun and drink up :cheers:

If I were serving under someone the most important trait I'd want them to have is intelligence. The ability to think further ahead than the enemy commander and consider more possibilities and options in a shorter amount of time. Equally important would be combat experience. Someone who used to have the same job as the men he leads would not only give him a better understanding of what he's actually asking of the soldiers, but bolster his credibility as well.

Of course, I'm a civilian looking in from the outside so I could be totally wrong.

A leader is someone who can convince people to do things that they ordinarilly wouldn't want to do, believe that they can't do. A great commander is one that inspires their subordinates to do this right down the command chain.

What is a leader? A leader is someone who will not ask the men and women under him to go somewhere or do something that he would not do himself. A leader is someone who leads by example and teaches everything he knows to those he leads. In the American Airborne Divisions, there is a tradition, the officer is always the first one out of the airplane and during helicopter missions, the officer is always the first boots on the ground and the last one back on.

Gates of Fire said:
A leader does not abide within his tent while his men bleed and die upon the field. A leader does not dine while his men go hungry, nor sleep when they stand watch. A leader does not command his men's loyalty through fear; he earns their respect by the sweat of his own back and the pains he endures for their own sake. That which comprises the harshest burden, a leader lifts first and sets down last. A leader does not require service of those he leads but provides it to them. He serves them, not they him.

Above is a paraphrased version out of a book I just recently finished, while fiction I liked this part. It's limited to a leader who is in direct command of troops however all leaders have to go through that to reach higher up.

Back