what kind of workout

Ryan17

What did you do before basic to get ready. Just wanting a good workout to get leaner and out of the gym. Lately i have been just running out side and push ups and sit ups. anything else yall can think of.

Those three will suit you well. I'd do as many of those as you can and when you think you've done all you can, crank out a little bit more. It would be best if you could easily run 2 or 3 miles and do 50 situps and pushups each before you go. I wouldn't worry too much about it though. The whole idea is to get you into shape for combat. They'll be certain you do so before you complete training.

RankIt said:
You could try pullups and maybe swimming.

swimming i got down like no other i swam competively for 8 years. Pull ups well i suck at. I wish i had a place to swim cause i would defiantly do that.

thanks for the ideas guys

when I joined the army I couldnt do a more than 15 push-ups I could do 63 sit-ups though and my run was well sad 2 mile in 20:19!!!!

I joined the army as an E-1 and went through basic Fort Sill Ok.!

my first PT score was 86!!!! which is wayy wayy below passing for a Phyisical Phitness Test. Dont worry if Your like I was they will just work you a bit harder, and if you stay motivated you will find your score improving every single time. Wen it comes to running its all in the mine I couldnt run a single mile before I joined the army without stopping. Now that Im stationed at Fort Bragg I run 4-6 miles a day with just a little bit of struggle when you get to basic the most you will ever run is 2 miles when you get to a duty station if its not PLANET BRAGG. you will run 4 if your here were on fast alert status all the time so we train hard! good shit!!!!! I still can barly shoot a rifle to standerd but I can rain Steel on almost anything anywhere you put it!

It really doesn't matter what you do before you join the army cause you wont push your self as hard as they will trust me its what they do you will hate them at first and thank them in the end!

^

I was just about to say...... I didn't work out much before I left, and I was just fine.

my work out consisted of getting drunk the night before a poolee meeting and then running 1.5mi. i sucked before boot, now i run 23:13 3mi (I know, its improving though) 14pullups and 100situps. Ooorah USMC getting my fatass into shape.

Here's what I'm doing getting ready for SWCC training:

4 Mile Track Work
Jog - 1 mile in 7:00 - 8:00

Three sets of:
Sprint-1/4 mile as fast as you can
Jog - 1/4 mile in 1:45-2:00

Six sets of:
Sprint-1/8 mile
Jog - 1/8 mile 1:00

No walking, you rest during the jogs. Now, SWCC is more intensive than anything you'll see during basic, so if you can do that you should be more than fine.

If you want something to work up to that, here's a good long term running sched.

WEEKS 1&2

2 miles/day, 8:30 pace, M/W/F (6 miles/week)

WEEK 3

No running. Unless you were comfortable with the first 2 weeks.

WEEK 4

3 miles/day, M/W/F (9 miles/wk)

WEEKS 5&6

2/3/4/2 miles, M/Tu/Th/F (11 miles/wk)

WEEKS 7&8

3/4/5/4 miles, M/Tu/Th/F (16 miles/wk)

Then continue at 16 miles/wk

Hope this helps.

we just had a all-hands poole meeting a few weeks ago and i got a 295 on my IST (if you mulitply the run by 2 cause its only 1.5mi instead of the PFT's 3mi run) but i did a 1.5mi in 9min, i did 117situps in 2min, and did 19deadhang pullups, and this is without me really working out specifically for bootcamp, i leave 12 september so i have a while to start training, im pretty athletic being a kickboxer and wrestling.... im gonna really strive for iron man during bootcamp

Ryan17 said:
What did you do before basic to get ready. Just wanting a good workout to get leaner and out of the gym. Lately i have been just running out side and push ups and sit ups. anything else yall can think of.
If you cover the basics (run, PU, SU) you will do fine. Check out Army Physical Fitness on the web. You can get a "PT" card which is how the Army determines if you are a GO or NOGO.
Oh yea, prepare yourself for some "next level" stuff the first few days of Basic. You can do it if you stay focused and keep your eye on the goal.
"Be all you can be". I hate the new motto!!!!
Wild Bill

I decided to go to university three days before i was supposed to have my physical assessment for the army, so i did all of the training to get fit but didn't end up going in to the army. I was, however, the fittest i have ever been. Basically what i did was.

-2km run twice per day
-As many push ups as i could do in one go, rest 2 minutes then do 10,8,6,4,2 pushups with 10 second breaks every day (taking at least 2 days off per week)
-Crunches of 20,18,16 etc every day.
-And probably most importantly i had a punching bag, which i just punched - 100, 80, 60, 40, 20 with no break in between punches but 30 second breaks between sets.

I was so fit you wouldn't believe - now i'm a 115kg or 250lb blob who's trying to quit smoking. At least i'm still sorta in shape with my martial arts training.

Rich.

Back