What/Who influenced/inspired you to join up?

For me it was a combination of several things. My father was an officer in the Royal Navy, but my granddad was my main inspiration. He was a RM Commando officer in WWII. He was a good man with good morals. He taught me that in war it is important to have a heart. Show compassion and mercy wherever possible was his Ethos.

I became an officer because I´m a leader and because I love working with people from all parts of society. To educate young people so that they will grow up to be a benefit and not a burden to our society is my goal.

But it is also to serve and protect those who are not themselves able to do so, no matter what nation they´re from. I love the physical and mental challenge. I love the rugged nature. I love getting wet, tired, dirty, scared and I love the feeling of great joy when something is completed to my satisfaction. Yes, actually I love life so much that I am willing to put my life on the line so that you can live yours. It probably sounds like a cliché, but that´s how I feel.

To me being an RM officer means choosing the hard right over the easy wrong and protecting my Marines, training them and leading them is a lifelong challenge I look forward to every day. I´m proud to serve in the historic role of a Royal Marines Commando officer.

:salute2: SIR!

Same for me, I do work with a good bunch now and the banter is pretty much the same, I put that down to a large percentage of the lads being ex military. ;)

Banter and humour among serving and ex serving military is so special and so unique. I always got on better and have good laughs after leaving the RAF with ex military blokes.

I don't know about you lot, sometimes I sit in my chair and think of the laughs we had and stunts we pulled during my time and chuckle to myself. My kids shake their heads and say, "Dad's off again.":lol:

What´s unique is that you can meet a service man from any country and you are immediately on the same wavelength.

Banter and humour among serving and ex serving military is so special and so unique. I always got on better and have good laughs after leaving the RAF with ex military blokes.

I don't know about you lot, sometimes I sit in my chair and think of the laughs we had and stunts we pulled during my time and chuckle to myself. My kids shake their heads and say, "Dad's off again.":lol:

If I'm honest, I miss the banter and humour as I don't work with any ex-military. The forces humour is unique and something civi's just don't get. Very often I've forgotten myself and said something that someone takes as offensive! :lol:

You're not the only one BritinAfrica! ;) Some nights I'll sit back and think about the "good old days" and have a sly laugh to myself about the shenanigans we got up to etc. Mrs Frogman usually asks whether she should call in the men in white coats! :(

Is it me or does there seem to be an abundance of Royal Marines on here lately? I sure hope they're not like US Marines where one comes over and then all of a sudden a whole bunch come over like gypsies...you know, trying to put square objects in circular holes, randomly molesting or blowing stuff up, and essentially making a mess of everything!

LOL, I had to do it, I just had to...

Is it me or does there seem to be an abundance of Royal Marines on here lately?

Out of the British, we're the only ones clever enough to use a computer! ;)

I sure hope they're not like US Marines where one comes over and then all of a sudden a whole bunch come over like gypsies...you know, trying to put square objects in circular holes, randomly molesting or blowing stuff up, and essentially making a mess of everything!

We're nothing like those bunch of cowboys! ;)

Sounds to me like you're describing the parachutists! ;)

Is it me or does there seem to be an abundance of Royal Marines on here lately? I sure hope they're not like US Marines where one comes over and then all of a sudden a whole bunch come over like gypsies...you know, trying to put square objects in circular holes, randomly molesting or blowing stuff up, and essentially making a mess of everything!

They propagate through cell division :smil:

Mate if you find messing about on the Internet for hours as "rewarding", you really need to get out more!!! :p

You mean you actually talk to the missus? You must be in a really bad way! ;)

I leave for a month and everything changes...Can't....Handle....Change.... AAAARRRRGGGHHH! Now that I've had my aneurism, lol, it's good that we're getting some new blood in here. Welcome aboard and looking forward to some good diologue even though you are RM's. Notice, I'm really trying to keep these words to three syllables or less just for your benefit! ;p

I leave for a month and everything changes...Can't....Handle....Change.... AAAARRRRGGGHHH! Now that I've had my aneurism, lol, it's good that we're getting some new blood in here. Welcome aboard and looking forward to some good diologue even though you are RM's. Notice, I'm really trying to keep these words to three syllables or less just for your benefit! ;p

I am one of the newbies hereabouts and I am going to step out on a limb here... I suspect Marines here be the same as Marines at home...

know the quickest way to kill a Marine?

empty a few wheelbarrows full of sand next to a concrete block wall, then wait

as soon as one of them pesky Marines saunters by yell out

HIT THE BEACH!!!

gets em every time..........
211.gif

What´s unique is that you can meet a service man from any country and you are immediately on the same wavelength.

How right you are! In 1970, while stationed in Japan, I “socialized” with some sailors from the USSR; in the mid ‘70’s I spent some time with the British Army on the Rhine; I spent a great deal of time serving alongside soldiers from the ROK; also served with military from Germany, the Netherlands, Australia, S. Viet Nam, and others I don’t recall. I used to drink with an ex RMC RSM in CA. Military men (except for maybe USAF in the ‘60’s and ‘70’s) are pretty much the same.

Officers and NCO’s have an air of authority about them which is noticeable.

As a former Military Police NCO, my wife says I have an arrogant air about me, I informed her she was misunderstanding my confidence and ability to stay calm under pressure. ;)

Back