What/Who influenced/inspired you to join up? - Page 2

--

August 27th, 2012  
VDKMS

I wanted to become a fighter pilot in the Belgian Air Force but ended up as a radar operator (ECCM) of a Nike Hercules air defense system. After the disbandment of the Air defense units they send me to a Military school until that one was moved to Brussels. I didn't want to work over there so I quit the Air Force and worked in the financial sector for a while and then switched to a business in the hospitality sector. When I was 48 I sold everything I had in Belgium and went to Spain to enjoy life.
August 27th, 2012  
brinktk

I joined in June of 2001 as a PFC in the US Army. My motivataions may have been a little naive, I had always known that I wanted to be a soldier and I guess the idea of making a difference was the biggest factor in me joining.

Less than 2 years later I was fighting in Iraq and had a re-evaluation of why I was to continue my time in the military. Mainly, I have stayed on because I realize that I have the ability to save lives. I have the experience to keep people alive, not just my soldiers but those downrange whIo may get caught in the middle. I love leading soldiers and know with a certainty that I can handle the men when the chips are down and I can keep them focused when they're not.

There are times when I shake my head and wonder what the hell I have gottem myself into, but, for the most part, I have great memories of my time in the service. The greatest people I've ever known have been in the Army, there's a comradery and brotherhood that is rarely found outside the military...and that too keeps me drivin on.
August 28th, 2012  
NP8901

Back in the late 70s I was something of an rascal. Joyriding and minor thefts was the order of the day. One day things went wrong and a mate was killed. I was the one who pulled him out of the wreck and I was the only one who remained on the spot until the police and ambulance came. That day was the turning point.

After hearing my life story so far the judge gave me a choice - the military or prison. Only one that would take me was the Royal Marines. They became my lifeline and I have loved every minute of it all. Today I have left the corps but is still a Marine in my heart. Today Im a nature preserve supervisor and often takes young misfit on survival courses in the highlands.
--
August 28th, 2012  
Capt Frogman

Quote:
Originally Posted by brinktk
There are times when I shake my head and wonder what the hell I have gottem myself into, but, for the most part, I have great memories of my time in the service. The greatest people I've ever known have been in the Army, theirs a comradery and brotherhood that is rarely found outside the military...and that too keeps me drivin on.
That pretty much sums it up for me!
August 28th, 2012  
m551sheridan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NP8901
Back in the late 70s I was something of an rascal. Joyriding and minor thefts was the order of the day. One day things went wrong and a mate was killed. I was the one who pulled him out of the wreck and I was the only one who remained on the spot until the police and ambulance came. That day was the turning point.

After hearing my life story so far the judge gave me a choice - the military or prison. Only one that would take me was the Royal Marines. They became my lifeline and I have loved every minute of it all. Today I have left the corps but is still a Marine in my heart. Today Im a nature preserve supervisor and often takes young misfit on survival courses in the highlands.
sounds like the Marines are the Marines are the Marines, regardless of country

August 28th, 2012  
The Highway Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Frogman
That pretty much sums it up for me!
Same for me, I do work with a good bunch now and the banter is pretty much the same, I put that down to a large percentage of the lads being ex military.
August 28th, 2012  
42RM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m551sheridan

Brothers, all as one.
August 28th, 2012  
Capt Frogman

Quote:
Originally Posted by m551sheridan

Obviously we know which one is USMC!

Clue - there's something on its head.
August 28th, 2012  
rattler

I joined very early 70s, for two reasons that made it the "optimal" idea:

- For one, I had always wanted to be a pilot in the carreer sense (started flying with 14) but my family could not afford paying for the cost of training to become a pro, and

- secondly, I had to go anyway as we had draft system: 24 month of your life time for ridiculous pay (then it was about 15$ a month IIRC), better to volunteer for 8 years, earn decently (500 $ a month right from start + an enlistment premium of another 7.500, really serious money at that time), get recognized and be allowed to select your field (air transport was my choice, officers carreer open to me for school background).

As I got grounded quite rapidly and unexpectedly after two years (having made it no further than RHS) for health reasons had to accept transfer to another service, it was only then that I "discovered" that I liked the idea of being on the NATO side of the Cold War for ideological reasons (and I was - and probably still am - a "Lefty"!).

FWIW,

Rattler
August 29th, 2012  
42RM

For me it was a combination of several things. My father was an officer in the Royal Navy, but my granddad was my main inspiration. He was a RM Commando officer in WWII. He was a good man with good morals. He taught me that in war it is important to have a heart. Show compassion and mercy wherever possible was his Ethos.

I became an officer because Im a leader and because I love working with people from all parts of society. To educate young people so that they will grow up to be a benefit and not a burden to our society is my goal.

But it is also to serve and protect those who are not themselves able to do so, no matter what nation theyre from. I love the physical and mental challenge. I love the rugged nature. I love getting wet, tired, dirty, scared and I love the feeling of great joy when something is completed to my satisfaction. Yes, actually I love life so much that I am willing to put my life on the line so that you can live yours. It probably sounds like a clich, but thats how I feel.

To me being an RM officer means choosing the hard right over the easy wrong and protecting my Marines, training them and leading them is a lifelong challenge I look forward to every day. Im proud to serve in the historic role of a Royal Marines Commando officer.