The what if thread -WW2- - Page 4

--

September 10th, 2009  
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCACS_FP
Thanks for the reply, MontyB.

I have another what if.

Suppose Japan had not invented the shallow running torpedo. Would the attack on Pearl Harbor be successful?
Japan got the inspiration from the British attack on the Italian Fleet @ Toranto. Getting the Carriers would have stopped offensive Ops for quite a while, except for the subs. Seems to me I read where they bombed a ball field where the fuel tanks were supposed to have been built, but weren't, but was marked on the raiders map as being there.
September 10th, 2009  
MontyB

Quote:
Thanks for the reply, MontyB.

I have another what if.

Suppose Japan had not invented the shallow running torpedo. Would the attack on Pearl Harbor be successful?

To be honest I think had Japan concentrated more on its bombing ability and less on its torpedo's Pearl Harbor would have been much more successful, for as much as they sunk a sizable number of ships most of them were raised and returned to service within a year. I personally think had they concentrated on bombing infrastructure (submarine facilities, fuel storage, dry docks etc.) they would have had a far more long term effect on the US navy.
September 11th, 2009  
RCACS_FP

I know I might sound a bit annoying now but here is an "add on" to that.

Would a third strike be possible? It would meant that the pilots would have to land in the dark after the attack BUT the attack would have targeted the base instead of ships.

I believe it would be a good idea for the IJN but they would run into the risk of running into light to medium ships that "went looking" for them.

What do you guys think?
--
September 11th, 2009  
MontyB

Quote:
I know I might sound a bit annoying now but here is an "add on" to that.

Would a third strike be possible? It would meant that the pilots would have to land in the dark after the attack BUT the attack would have targeted the base instead of ships.

I believe it would be a good idea for the IJN but they would run into the risk of running into light to medium ships that "went looking" for them.

What do you guys think?
I would suggest that they could have launched strikes until they ran out of fuel and ammunition as there wasn't a lot the US could do at the time, as I recall the US carriers would not have posed much of a threat as they were on their way back from delivering aircraft to Wake Island (?) and ships leaving Pearl Harbor would have been a Japanese wet dream especially if they could have sunk some in the navigation channels.

Unfortunately for the Japanese Nagumo lost his nerve (which he made a habit of) and headed for Japan as soon as he could.
November 7th, 2009  
RCACS_FP

Thanks Monty!

Here is another "whats if":

What if the Trinity Atomic Weapon Test failed, would the US still deploy fatman and tallboy on Aug 6 and 9th? Or would the initiate Operation Downfall?
November 7th, 2009  
-- Dusty

What if Japan had physically invaded the 48 states? Would they have gone for Washington/Oregon, or Southern Cali/Mexico?
November 7th, 2009  
MontyB

Quote:
Thanks Monty!

Here is another "whats if":

What if the Trinity Atomic Weapon Test failed, would the US still deploy fatman and tallboy on Aug 6 and 9th? Or would the initiate Operation Downfall?
Had Trinity failed I suspect there would have been 2 possible outcomes:
1) The Allies invade Japan and suffer huge numbers of casualties before finally winning.
2) Russia invades Northern Japan and suffer huge casualties before Japan surrenders to the Allies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hmmm
What if Japan had physically invaded the 48 states? Would they have gone for Washington/Oregon, or Southern Cali/Mexico?
Never going to happen, Japan did not have the manpower or plans to invade Australia, there is no way they would have planned a US invasion.

The closest they could have got was an invasion of the Hawaiian Islands in conjunction with the Pearl Harbor raid.
November 7th, 2009  
wolfen

Heres a what if for ya.....What if the third Reich had won WW2 and conquered the world?
November 7th, 2009  
-- Dusty

What if the US didn't fight Germany, but took their side instead?
November 7th, 2009  
wolfen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hmmm
What if the US didn't fight Germany, but took their side instead?
What if Patton had been allowed to push the Red Army back into the Soviet Union?

(can you say WW2 all the way to 2000? )