What if...

mortalmadman

I just have 1 last frighting question. What if anything could stop a crippling attack if the U.S. got in a war with another major super power.

Lets say for example, we were at war with... the UK for whatever unrealistic reasons, and they got 50 well equipped attack helicopters. Then lets say, they flew them over to new york or some other big city. Couldn't they just fly around with little resistance and knock down sky scrapper after sky scrapper? It seems pretty easy to crash right through our defences. But will there be enough to knock down 30 attack helicopter, or maybe, 100!

Or another example. What if they just plain out spewed a few cruise missiles our way. What defences do we have.

Are we really that vurnable?

mortalmadman said:
I just have 1 last frighting question. What if anything could stop a crippling attack if the U.S. got in a war with another major super power.

Lets say for example, we were at war with... the UK for whatever unrealistic reasons, and they got 50 well equipped attack helicopters. Then lets say, they flew them over to new york or some other big city. Couldn't they just fly around with little resistance and knock down sky scrapper after sky scrapper? It seems pretty easy to crash right through our defences. But will there be enough to knock down 30 attack helicopter, or maybe, 100!

Or another example. What if they just plain out spewed a few cruise missiles our way. What defences do we have.

Are we really that vurnable?

Do you think the USAF is going to let 50 attack helicopters get anywhere near a built up urban area without asking some serious questions?

They'd have to be carrier based for a start. It would be virtually impossible for any power to be able to sneak ships close enough in order to launch that kind of attack without them being visible for days in advance. Another thing, how many nations have the ability to launch 50 attack helicopters simultaneously and reach NYC? Not many. :)

Cruise Missiles are different and again there aren't many nations that have that kind of capability.

The biggest danger to urban cities remains the hijacking of commercial passenger jets IMO.

Well if we follow your example of the UK then they could "donate" 100 helis to CANADA and then launch an attack from there. But then again the Question is why? From what I see you are asking what kind of defences do we have as a country? well we have interception jets, missiles and many other things. Includingthe new laser tech.

Bases are stationed around many major metropolitain areas with NORAD fighters who train to take out missiles and aircraft out in the open ocean. Such was the problem on 9/11 when NORAD fighters where 150 miles of the coast of New York looking for missiles as the planes hit the towers. NORAD's defense abilities are more able to fend off any airborn attack now.

An important thing to understand about our nation's defences is that it is based on anticipation. We do not anticipate an attack from the U.K. or Canada so our defenses to such an attack are very low. If either of those 2 powers began to telegraph hostile intensions then our defences would change to accomodate the new threat. Currently our defences are centered around preventing terrorism, nuclear attack and securing any spot on the globe that might degenerate into a hostile situation.

Whispering Death said:
Bases are stationed around many major metropolitain areas with NORAD fighters who train to take out missiles and aircraft out in the open ocean. Such was the problem on 9/11 when NORAD fighters where 150 miles of the coast of New York looking for missiles as the planes hit the towers. NORAD's defense abilities are more able to fend off any airborn attack now.

An important thing to understand about our nation's defences is that it is based on anticipation. We do not anticipate an attack from the U.K. or Canada so our defenses to such an attack are very low. If either of those 2 powers began to telegraph hostile intensions then our defences would change to accomodate the new threat. Currently our defences are centered around preventing terrorism, nuclear attack and securing any spot on the globe that might degenerate into a hostile situation.

There's more chance of Baby Maggie from The Simpsons beating Mike Tyson in a bare knuckle fight to the death than there is of either the UK or Canada launching a hostile act against the US. I don't think the US has 2 closer Allies.

Doppleganger said:
There's more chance of Baby Maggie from The Simpsons beating Mike Tyson in a bare knuckle fight to the death than there is of either the UK or Canada launching a hostile act against the US. I don't think the US has 2 closer Allies.

The country was hypothetical. Just an example

And douplergangler. I think more countries have cruise missles and 50 heli. tha that. Your acting like it's nuclear weapons.

What I was getting at was would there be enough NORAD fighters to fight off such a large attack.

P.S. Wispering Death, that's an awsome name!

mortalmadman said:
Doppleganger said:

The country was hypothetical. Just an example

And douplergangler. I think more countries have cruise missles and 50 heli. tha that. Your acting like it's nuclear weapons.

What I was getting at was would there be enough NORAD fighters to fight off such a large attack.

P.S. Wispering Death, that's an awsome name!

Every US targeting system on every ground, air, and sea vehicle has multi-targeting missile, anti-missile, aircraft, capabilities. Cruise missiles can be shot down by most fighters because of their slow airspeed. As for detection or early warning, just think of the radar capabilities of a busy airport such as LAX. How many aircraft can they track and plot coordinances of? Now multiply that number by several hundred times and you are close to the number that one military ground or air radar/acquisition is capable of. Don't forget that the IFF code from these stations is known only to those countries who have a reason to approach America. If the Nation which attacks is confirmed, all Boomers would launch from all over the world.

THis is why the Canadian Avro Arrow was made in the first place, to intercept russian aircraft coming over the poles.

Back