What history DVD to buy?

Lilmissflamethrower

My sister gave me an amazon coupon for about $35 for my birthday. I was just looking now at wwii dvds, I just saw the Founding Fathers dvd. The Winston Churchill dvd. Omigod. The Civil War dvds. I dork could have endless choices here. Any recommends? I have the World at War one. The huuuge one. I have:

1. the movie Stalingrad.
2.Twelve OClock High
3. Band of Brothers
4. Saving Private Ryan.
5. Platoon and Full Metal Jacket
6. Battle over Britain.
7. Piece of Cake

I want

8. Danger UXB (But that is expensive!)

So what should a girl get?

Last edited:
Das boot***
Kellys Heroes
Where Eagles Dare
Tora Tora Tora
Pearl Harbor... (just kidding, its terrible).

There is a very good German WWII movie, essentially a "Band of Brothers" except that its
done from a German Squad perspective on the Eastern Front. I saw it once on cable, I CANNOT REMEMBER THE NAME OF IT, it's a foreign film, but its excellent. Somebody help me out here???

If you want a good Civil War Movie, 'Glory'.

Last edited:
1) Where Eagles Dare
2) Heroes of Telemark (heavy water sabotage mission), a classic!
3) Kellys Heroes

Where Eagles Dare is great!

Don't listen to them...... The real enthousiast would be:
1) The Cross of Iron (absolute master movie by Sam Peckinpah)
2) Glory (nice performance by Denzel Washington)
3) Broke back Mountain (comtemporary cowboymovie, which make you re-think the images you always had of Cowboy :))

Hahahahaha, If you guys have issues with me, take it out in the never ending story-postst! But I am trying to get this lady to her senses and to acquire three of the greatest war movies ever.... Have you seen the unique action in BB-Mountain?

Ted said:
Have you seen the unique action in BB-Mountain?

I am waiting for the unique action in BB-Scandinavia, where two blondes meet and... Ah never mind, never mind... :sorry:

Where Eagles Dare, good old Clint Eastwood amongst others :peace:

BB Mountain? Ummm...no! Not that I don't like the gay boys but I am not into cowboys...phew!

Cross of Iron.. Hmmm. I will check that out. I remember a good movie with Marlon Brando being a Nazi.

Did any of you see Danger UXB? It was a British t.v. series about a bomb detonation squad during WWII. Really great (probably better on DVD with subtitles!). It was amazing to see how the Germans and the English would keep coming up with bombs to trick the other side every time they would learn how to defuse each other's bombs. Talk about a piss in your pants type of job! I would be wearing Depends for life!

Italian Guy said:
Ted, this lady here is a huge fan of Bush... not sure there's much you can actually do to redeem her.

What are you saying IG! I'll bet that some fans of Bush (and I like a bush too) like cowboy action too! And I reckon that the lady in question handles this situation better then you do :) And you like Bush too!!!

Downfall!

Oh yes! I saw that in the theatre! I think I will get that! I had just read a book called Fall of Berlin by I forget and it was, to me, so true to the facts I can't remember it veering at all...

Yes the first time I went to see it was the Berlin Film Festival. We went and there was a line of about 500 people trying to get in. My friend who was with me was making stupid jokes about people should be scared of getting in lines when having to do with Hitler. Yes and we were at the Castro Theatre which should make Mr. BB Mountain Happy.

This man was walking by with his daughter, he seemed extremely upset that we were all waiting in line for this movie. He was yelling at us about why were we watching this? I started talking to him. I told him that ole line about those who don't learn history are condemned to repeat it. He acted like he never heard that before! Don't you think that is strange that people think you shouldn't watch history even if its unpleasant? Its not like we were standing there with beer mugs and wearing little mustaches!

Next time we saw it was about 3 months later at a regular theatre - no line whatsoever!

Good call!

Lilmiss.

Are you looking for a factual or fiction DVD or does it not matter? If fiction then Das Boot, Cross of Iron & Stalingrad are all good because of the attempt at realism and to show the horrors of war. If you want escapism then Where Eagles Dare, The Longest Day and Kelly's Heroes are worth watching. Saving Private Ryan is also worth watching for the opening 20 minutes although it gets a bit silly (though watchable) afterwards. Band of Brothers is a good series to watch as well.

Danger UXB was on the telly here about 20 years ago I think. I never watched it tbh but it was as much a period drama series with some bombs thrown in as anything else.

Doppleganger

If you read my post then you will see that I HAVE Stalingrad and S.P.R. already and Band of Brothers and I have seen Danger UXB.

I am looking for both. And also not just WWII but military related. I wouldn't mind a Civil War dvd.

Back