What happened to space opera?

JWIlls94

Banned
Back in the early 2000s we had awesome epic space operas like Battlestar Galactica, Babylon 5 and Firefly. Unfortunately I did not get into the genre until earlier this year when I played the first Mass Effect under the recommendation of a friend. I thought the Battle for the Citadel scene was epic.

Why don't we see shows like those anymore? Did the network execs decide the genre was dead?

It was long thought that fantasy was a genre once thought reserved for geeks but Game of Thrones has garnered a huge audience. Perhaps a well written space opera with a huge budget could appeal to a diverse audience.

Do you think this genre should be revived? I for one hope to see Sci Fi's equivalent of GOT on TV complete with political intrigue and epic space battles.

Time Warner Cable has a channel , "TV Land" , which has shows such as "Happy Days", " Twilight Zone", "Night Galllery", "Golden Girls", "Hot In Cleveland" "The Nanny" and many more shows from the late 70s and 80s. USA sometimes has "Law and Order" on all day... I love this show.

Back in the early 2000s we had awesome epic space operas like Battlestar Galactica, Babylon 5 and Firefly. Unfortunately I did not get into the genre until earlier this year when I played the first Mass Effect under the recommendation of a friend. I thought the Battle for the Citadel scene was epic.

Why don't we see shows like those anymore? Did the network execs decide the genre was dead?

It was long thought that fantasy was a genre once thought reserved for geeks but Game of Thrones has garnered a huge audience. Perhaps a well written space opera with a huge budget could appeal to a diverse audience.

Do you think this genre should be revived? I for one hope to see Sci Fi's equivalent of GOT on TV complete with political intrigue and epic space battles.

BBC America always has either Star Trek or Battle Star Galactica (<I think) on. We have SciFi Channel- pretty good, but I think it is aimed for a younger crowd than us. Geez Louise, I think we have most channels.......

Has anyone seen the cable TV series " Outlander"???
I found it pretty darn good! The mid-season finale was really sexy I thought( from an old crone's eyes). Check an episode out....stick with it. Very well made!
p.s. BUT I have forgotten which cable TV network the reruns will be on......So sorry, a big DUH moment!

And "Black Sails" is coming back for another season! Good show, full of rascally pirates!! Aye, Mateys!

Dadsgirl

Back