What happened to Freedom of Speech?




 
--
Boots
 
December 23rd, 2004  
SwordFish_13
 
 

Topic: What happened to Freedom of Speech?


Hi,

I agree we should take lessons form history ..............but this is taking past too far



Quote:
Teenager barred from prom for Confederate-inspired dress sues

BY BETH MUSGRAVE

Knight Ridder Newspapers

LEXINGTON, Ky. - (KRT) - Jacqueline Duty's prom dress created a stir even before she showed up for the May 1 event.

When Duty came to the Russell High School prom in a self-designed red, white and blue gown with the Confederate battle flag as part of the design, she was told to leave.

School leaders, who had heard about Duty's plans to wear the Confederate-inspired sequined gown, wouldn't allow her to enter the prom or even leave her vehicle, her lawyers say.

"Her only dance for her senior prom was on the sidewalk to a song playing on the radio," said Earl-Ray Neal, her lawyer.

Now Duty is suing the school district in U.S. District Court in Lexington, saying the school district and administrators violated her First Amendment right to free speech and her right to celebrate her heritage. She also is suing for defamation, false imprisonment and assault.

Source


Should Stars and Bars be banned ?

Then where would freedom of Speach go ? ........aren't we talking what happned in the past too far ?

I mean attitude like OMGF stars and bars he must be a rasist is it right

Comment ? Openions ?


Peace
-=SF-13=-
December 23rd, 2004  
Redneck
 
 
You ever think of looking for these news stories from your own country?



Unless you are sure you know all the facts of the case, it would be best to avoid jumping to any conclusions. Your source rather markedly avoids the school administration's side of the story, for example.
December 23rd, 2004  
SwordFish_13
 
 
Hi,

Quote:
Unless you are sure you know all the facts of the case, it would be best to avoid jumping to any conclusions.
I haven't reached any Conclusions as yet ..............all the lines have "?" on them that means i was asking a question not telling .

Second i asked for comment's and openions about my Questions and the news Article............maybe after that a conclusion could have been derived.?


Have it ever occured to you that you might be the one jumping on to conclusion that people are bashing America?

Quote:
Your source rather markedly avoids the school administration's side of the story, for example.
Ok lets Forget this particular case there have been Similer case before and Lower Courts have mixed rulings .................

My point is Should we be so frightened By symbols that have a probably dark past but that might be someones heritage ? e.g Swastica or stars and bars.............that was the point i wanted to Put Forward .

Does banning these Symbols means means denying Freedom of Speach ?

I didn't wanted to consider this a news so i didn't post in the news Section............i posted it here because i wanted to put forward a point by it's medium. and get peoples Openions


Peace
-=SF_13=-
--
Boots
December 23rd, 2004  
Redneck
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwordFish_13
I haven't reached any Conclusions as yet ..............all the lines have "?" on them that means i was asking a question not telling .

Second i asked for comment's and openions about my Questions and the news Article............maybe after that a conclusion could have been derived.?
Considering your last several posts, it seems to be clear what your intent is with posting them.


Quote:
Have it ever occured to you that you might be the one jumping on to conclusion that people are bashing America?
No.

Quote:
Ok lets Forget this particular case there have been Similer case before and Lower Courts have mixed rulings .................

My point is Should we be so frightened By symbols that have a probably dark past but that might be someones heritage ? e.g Swastica or stars and bars.............that was the point i wanted to Put Forward .

Does banning these Symbols means means denying Freedom of Speach ?

I didn't wanted to consider this a news so i didn't post in the news Section............i posted it here because i wanted to put forward a point by it's medium. and get peoples Openions


Peace
-=SF_13=-

In certain situations, the wearing of these symbols may be seen to present a very real threat to the safety of the public, and therefore legitimately subject to being banned from a site or event. You can come down here and wear a Swastika shirt and KKK hood while you do your grocery shopping if you want, but when the authorities (be they government, acedemic, what have you) see these images as likely to create violence or even a general lack of public safety, they have every right to remove said threat to ensure the safety of those under their jurisdiction.
December 23rd, 2004  
03USMC
 
 
Redneck I agree yet I disagree. Yes the school has the authority in the name of security to ban certain offensive symbols from their property and/or functions. I also believe that such symbols are selectively enforced.
The Confederate Battle Flag being one of those symbols. Because it offends a certain segement of the population. While certain other symbols are overlooked as being part of cultural diversity.
It does have it's place in the history of this country and in the heritage of a certain part of the populace. It has however become a symbol for a number of unsavory and offensive groups.
But I do not believe this young lady wore that dress to celebrate her heritage or express her rights. IMHO she wore it to stir the pot.
December 23rd, 2004  
SwordFish_13
 
 
Hi,

hmmmmm

Quote:
Considering your last several posts, it seems to be clear what your intent is with posting them.
I am not exactly Sure ...........but i have a faint idea about what you are talking about ..............I would not get into that.........i have my own Openion and you have your's...........and this is the problem with openions everyone has one..........i am nt Anti America but i am not a blind Supporter of them also........if you want to take it post by post i would be glad to respont with my point of view in respective threads ............people who might not agree to some policies of America dosen't mean America bashers.........Think about it with a open mind........... because i have seen you jumping up and down on the slighest hint to someone Disagreeing with American Policies .


Quote:
In certain situations, the wearing of these symbols may be seen to present a very real threat to the safety of the public
Exactly thats what i am talking about Public fear..........I mean it's been 150 years since ..........Several families can claim their ancestors once wore the bonds of slavery, and several can claim their ancestors once owned slaves... BUT ...I was not a slave ......neither i owned a slave.......why do i care about my Ancestors doings...

Ok my Ancestors killed and Ate People ..........Maybe I should apologize for that too ..............Maybe I should demand apology from all you European types for your ancestors migrating over to USA otherwise none of this School drama would have happned ?

past is past how long are we going to hold on to it and being scared of it ?

It's just a Flag a simple flag how can it threaten someone .......Yet here we are, 150-odd years later making a case of it.

History is a good teaching tool.......... It's wonderful that we recognize the wrongs we committed so very long ago, and seek to avoid making them again in the future........... I fail, however, to see where abolishing and censoring a piece of cloth or a symbol.... will make any difference.

Now coming to Swastica .......... the pagan-celtic symbol for life .........and Hindu symbol of Good Luck ...... Hitler knew perfectly well what he was doing when taking the Symbol of Life and Good Luck and turning it Around.

Hindu's Draw it In fornt of their Houses and on evry new thing they Buy consider Good Luck to be bestowed on it .........Pagan's used it in various religious Ceremonies.

Ok a Evil person made it his Symbol ......does that mean to these people ............why should these People whoe have a link a religious and Cultural link to it......suffer because of a few people being scared of the Symbol.


Flags of a country, past or present, should not be worn on a person this is my personal openion if you ask me .....But thats a different Point of Discussion


Peace
-=SF_13=-
December 23rd, 2004  
CABAL
 
 
Quote:
Now coming to Swastica ..........Hitler the pagan-celtic symbol for life .........and Hindu symbol of Good Luck ...... Hitler knew perfectly well what he was doing when taking the Symbol of Life and Good Luck and turning it Around.

Hindu's Draw it In fornt of their Houses and on evry new thing they Buy consider Good Luck to be bestowed on it .........Pagan's used it in various religious Ceremonies.

Ok a Evil person made it his Symbol ......does that mean to these people ............why should these People whoe have a link a religious and Cultural link to it......suffer because of a few people being scared of the Symbol.
I do agree with your notion that the original intent of the swastika later become a symbol of evil. Frankly, you must know that society runs that way and it is imperative that "offensive" symbols be barred immediately before it can cause serious tensions. Several of these reasons are to prevent domestic violence between different groups.

I'm surprised to hear that your comments have a Individualistic tone to it, a person who is more concerned with personal benefits rather than the benefits of the majority. Especially the fact that you come from a collectivistic culture.
December 23rd, 2004  
Redneck
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03USMC
Redneck I agree yet I disagree. Yes the school has the authority in the name of security to ban certain offensive symbols from their property and/or functions. I also believe that such symbols are selectively enforced.
The Confederate Battle Flag being one of those symbols. Because it offends a certain segement of the population. While certain other symbols are overlooked as being part of cultural diversity.
It does have it's place in the history of this country and in the heritage of a certain part of the populace. It has however become a symbol for a number of unsavory and offensive groups.
But I do not believe this young lady wore that dress to celebrate her heritage or express her rights. IMHO she wore it to stir the pot.
I entirely agree with you, 03, but from the provided source, we do not know whether ALL such symbols were banned or just the Confederate flag. My folks fought for the Confederacy in large part, and I believe it is part of my own heritage, but, as you said, I really can't see what the point of wearing something like that is beyond making trouble.

Swordfish, I agree with you that apologizing for things that happened a hundred and more years ago is a waste of time and only leads to continuing divisions in our own society and others around the world. Unfortunately you cannot get into everyones' heads and force them to agree with you, right?
So as long as some folks have the ability to willfully create problems that could potentially threaten the public safety, it will at times be necessary to restrict certain freedoms (although many times I would agree that this is taken too far). An individual's personal freedoms do not extend so far as to infringe on those of the greater population.



Any further problems you have with my moderating or that of any other moderator will be taken up over the PM system. If you feel you are being abused, send Redleg a PM.
December 23rd, 2004  
CABAL
 
 
Quote:
An individual's personal freedoms do not extend so far as to infringe on those of the greater population.
That is why the Federalists are such genuises of promoting stability. That is....in my views though.
December 23rd, 2004  
03USMC
 
 
The Confederate Battle Flag has been a flash point in Ky since the early 90's when a young man was killed over it's display in the Owensboro area (I believe). It's become a major "statement" by certain teenagers and something like this crops up every year.