What happened to Freedom of Speech?

SwordFish_13

Hi,

I agree we should take lessons form history ..............but this is taking past too far

Teenager barred from prom for Confederate-inspired dress sues

BY BETH MUSGRAVE

Knight Ridder Newspapers

LEXINGTON, Ky. - (KRT) - Jacqueline Duty's prom dress created a stir even before she showed up for the May 1 event.

When Duty came to the Russell High School prom in a self-designed red, white and blue gown with the Confederate battle flag as part of the design, she was told to leave.

School leaders, who had heard about Duty's plans to wear the Confederate-inspired sequined gown, wouldn't allow her to enter the prom or even leave her vehicle, her lawyers say.

"Her only dance for her senior prom was on the sidewalk to a song playing on the radio," said Earl-Ray Neal, her lawyer.

Now Duty is suing the school district in U.S. District Court in Lexington, saying the school district and administrators violated her First Amendment right to free speech and her right to celebrate her heritage. She also is suing for defamation, false imprisonment and assault.

Source

Should Stars and Bars be banned ?

Then where would freedom of Speach go ? ........aren't we talking what happned in the past too far ?

I mean attitude like OMGF stars and bars he must be a rasist :roll: is it right

Comment ? Openions ?

Peace
-=SF-13=-

You ever think of looking for these news stories from your own country?

Unless you are sure you know all the facts of the case, it would be best to avoid jumping to any conclusions. Your source rather markedly avoids the school administration's side of the story, for example.

Hi,

Unless you are sure you know all the facts of the case, it would be best to avoid jumping to any conclusions.

I haven't reached any Conclusions as yet ..............all the lines have "?" on them that means i was asking a question not telling .

Second i asked for comment's and openions about my Questions and the news Article............maybe after that a conclusion could have been derived.? :roll:

Have it ever occured to you that you might be the one jumping on to conclusion that people are bashing America?

Your source rather markedly avoids the school administration's side of the story, for example.

Ok lets Forget this particular case there have been Similer case before and Lower Courts have mixed rulings .................

My point is Should we be so frightened By symbols that have a probably dark past but that might be someones heritage ? e.g Swastica or stars and bars.............that was the point i wanted to Put Forward .

Does banning these Symbols means means denying Freedom of Speach ?

I didn't wanted to consider this a news so i didn't post in the news Section............i posted it here because i wanted to put forward a point by it's medium. and get peoples Openions

Peace
-=SF_13=-

SwordFish_13 said:
I haven't reached any Conclusions as yet ..............all the lines have "?" on them that means i was asking a question not telling .

Second i asked for comment's and openions about my Questions and the news Article............maybe after that a conclusion could have been derived.? :roll:

Considering your last several posts, it seems to be clear what your intent is with posting them.

Have it ever occured to you that you might be the one jumping on to conclusion that people are bashing America?

No.

Ok lets Forget this particular case there have been Similer case before and Lower Courts have mixed rulings .................

My point is Should we be so frightened By symbols that have a probably dark past but that might be someones heritage ? e.g Swastica or stars and bars.............that was the point i wanted to Put Forward .

Does banning these Symbols means means denying Freedom of Speach ?

I didn't wanted to consider this a news so i didn't post in the news Section............i posted it here because i wanted to put forward a point by it's medium. and get peoples Openions

Peace
-=SF_13=-

In certain situations, the wearing of these symbols may be seen to present a very real threat to the safety of the public, and therefore legitimately subject to being banned from a site or event. You can come down here and wear a Swastika shirt and KKK hood while you do your grocery shopping if you want, but when the authorities (be they government, acedemic, what have you) see these images as likely to create violence or even a general lack of public safety, they have every right to remove said threat to ensure the safety of those under their jurisdiction.

Redneck I agree yet I disagree. Yes the school has the authority in the name of security to ban certain offensive symbols from their property and/or functions. I also believe that such symbols are selectively enforced.
The Confederate Battle Flag being one of those symbols. Because it offends a certain segement of the population. While certain other symbols are overlooked as being part of cultural diversity.
It does have it's place in the history of this country and in the heritage of a certain part of the populace. It has however become a symbol for a number of unsavory and offensive groups.
But I do not believe this young lady wore that dress to celebrate her heritage or express her rights. IMHO she wore it to stir the pot.

Hi,

hmmmmm

Considering your last several posts, it seems to be clear what your intent is with posting them.

I am not exactly Sure ...........but i have a faint idea about what you are talking about ..............I would not get into that.........i have my own Openion and you have your's...........and this is the problem with openions everyone has one..........i am nt Anti America but i am not a blind Supporter of them also........if you want to take it post by post i would be glad to respont with my point of view in respective threads ............people who might not agree to some policies of America dosen't mean America bashers.........Think about it with a open mind........... because i have seen you jumping up and down on the slighest hint to someone Disagreeing with American Policies . :D

In certain situations, the wearing of these symbols may be seen to present a very real threat to the safety of the public

Exactly thats what i am talking about Public fear..........I mean it's been 150 years since ..........Several families can claim their ancestors once wore the bonds of slavery, and several can claim their ancestors once owned slaves... BUT ...I was not a slave ......neither i owned a slave.......why do i care about my Ancestors doings...

Ok my Ancestors killed and Ate People ..........Maybe I should apologize for that too ..............Maybe I should demand apology from all you European types for your ancestors migrating over to USA otherwise none of this School drama would have happned ? :roll:

past is past how long are we going to hold on to it and being scared of it ?

It's just a Flag a simple flag how can it threaten someone .......Yet here we are, 150-odd years later making a case of it.

History is a good teaching tool.......... It's wonderful that we recognize the wrongs we committed so very long ago, and seek to avoid making them again in the future........... I fail, however, to see where abolishing and censoring a piece of cloth or a symbol.... will make any difference.

Now coming to Swastica .......... the pagan-celtic symbol for life .........and Hindu symbol of Good Luck ...... Hitler knew perfectly well what he was doing when taking the Symbol of Life and Good Luck and turning it Around.

Hindu's Draw it In fornt of their Houses and on evry new thing they Buy consider Good Luck to be bestowed on it .........Pagan's used it in various religious Ceremonies.

Ok a Evil person made it his Symbol ......does that mean to these people ............why should these People whoe have a link a religious and Cultural link to it......suffer because of a few people being scared of the Symbol.

Flags of a country, past or present, should not be worn on a person this is my personal openion if you ask me .....But thats a different Point of Discussion

Peace
-=SF_13=-

Now coming to Swastica ..........Hitler the pagan-celtic symbol for life .........and Hindu symbol of Good Luck ...... Hitler knew perfectly well what he was doing when taking the Symbol of Life and Good Luck and turning it Around.

Hindu's Draw it In fornt of their Houses and on evry new thing they Buy consider Good Luck to be bestowed on it .........Pagan's used it in various religious Ceremonies.

Ok a Evil person made it his Symbol ......does that mean to these people ............why should these People whoe have a link a religious and Cultural link to it......suffer because of a few people being scared of the Symbol.

I do agree with your notion that the original intent of the swastika later become a symbol of evil. Frankly, you must know that society runs that way and it is imperative that "offensive" symbols be barred immediately before it can cause serious tensions. Several of these reasons are to prevent domestic violence between different groups.

I'm surprised to hear that your comments have a Individualistic tone to it, a person who is more concerned with personal benefits rather than the benefits of the majority. Especially the fact that you come from a collectivistic culture.

03USMC said:
Redneck I agree yet I disagree. Yes the school has the authority in the name of security to ban certain offensive symbols from their property and/or functions. I also believe that such symbols are selectively enforced.
The Confederate Battle Flag being one of those symbols. Because it offends a certain segement of the population. While certain other symbols are overlooked as being part of cultural diversity.
It does have it's place in the history of this country and in the heritage of a certain part of the populace. It has however become a symbol for a number of unsavory and offensive groups.
But I do not believe this young lady wore that dress to celebrate her heritage or express her rights. IMHO she wore it to stir the pot.

I entirely agree with you, 03, but from the provided source, we do not know whether ALL such symbols were banned or just the Confederate flag. My folks fought for the Confederacy in large part, and I believe it is part of my own heritage, but, as you said, I really can't see what the point of wearing something like that is beyond making trouble.

Swordfish, I agree with you that apologizing for things that happened a hundred and more years ago is a waste of time and only leads to continuing divisions in our own society and others around the world. Unfortunately you cannot get into everyones' heads and force them to agree with you, right? :lol:
So as long as some folks have the ability to willfully create problems that could potentially threaten the public safety, it will at times be necessary to restrict certain freedoms (although many times I would agree that this is taken too far). An individual's personal freedoms do not extend so far as to infringe on those of the greater population.

Any further problems you have with my moderating or that of any other moderator will be taken up over the PM system. If you feel you are being abused, send Redleg a PM.

An individual's personal freedoms do not extend so far as to infringe on those of the greater population.

That is why the Federalists are such genuises of promoting stability. That is....in my views though.

The Confederate Battle Flag has been a flash point in Ky since the early 90's when a young man was killed over it's display in the Owensboro area (I believe). It's become a major "statement" by certain teenagers and something like this crops up every year.

Agreed. Anything that is offensive to a particular group creates a high probability to commit violent confrontations.

Hi,

I'm surprised to hear that your comments have a Individualistic tone to it,

Individuals are intelligent a mob dosen't have a brain anybody can make then go anywhere :D 8)

It's become a major "statement" by certain teenagers and something like this crops up every year.

It's like this in some peoples openion

Confederate Flag = Rebel ..............AND............Rebel = Cool .......;)

She has been warned by the School authorities before hand that she will not be allowed to enter but stil she went with the plans clear sign of Delibrately trying to get media attention .

I know and understand that ............But are you people understanding my point ?

I will respont to everything else later i had a long day today and very tired .......going to sleep

Bye , Tschuess , Syonara :)

Peace
-=SF_13=-

SwordFish_13 said:
I know and understand that ............But are you people understanding my point ?

:lol:
Why don't you tell us what that is so there won't be any confusion.

Hi,

As said earlier i used this plot to Pass on a though that past doings , symbols or heritage should affect our Present ........because these very Symbols could be someone's heritage.........ok someone might have commited somemistakes under these symbols ...but still symbols of our herirtage...................and gather Openions about it ?

I have not posted this as a news

Peace
-=SF_13=-

Swordfish once you are awake and alive, consider this:

Individuals are intelligent a mob dosen't have a brain anybody can make then go anywhere

No, you're probably don't understand what collectivistic cultures / individualistic cultures is. Just be well aware that I have already identified many of your prejudices through that very solid statement about the overall crowd/society.

Redneck said:
If you feel you are being abused, send Redleg a PM.

But what if I'm feeling abused, who should I PM then?? :( :lol:

Please feel free to PM me, Guys and Gals, if you have any problems with how this forum is being run, and I'll see what I can do about it..
I have plenty of pink tutus to hand out if the moderators should be mean to you.. :D

Now lets continue on topic here from now on..
Thanks..

If Freedom of speach was something that all nations could take to there hearts there would be less conflicts I think. But today the political correct picture is more importent then the freedom of speach issue I think. And it cant be anything that a negative trend to be honest. All those feelings locked in to the shadows cant be good in any sentence.

I look at the freedom of speach in any subject to be something constructive and good for all involved. People dont have to think and belive in what I am telling the world on the Internet. They can if they want to - moderate everything that for some or alot of people is the reality be something constructive instead of cutting there tungs out and let the mainstream guide people to there own conclusions. I want to belive that there are someplaces where freedom of speach is something that are taken seriouse without getting personal involved in the issues.

What I think is the right thing to meet a conflict dose not mean to be the right way to meat the conflict. However when you take away basic rights and try to put a stamp on people that dont think as you may do, you are silence one voice to much and that is what I think is something that make this world stay in a status quo rather then lifting truth or if not truth but different ways to look in to problems. There are always people that may disslike a direct but honest out of there point of view way to handle different situations and questions, especially when you are talking religions and things you pic up from knowledge from others that speak the truth but arent reccon even if they have poofen for the world that this is how the thing works out.

I hate political correct pictures. I am always trying to get the objective picture of all conflicts and I may put a blow-turch to the subjects but I can tell you that I dont do it because I hate something. I am just reading everything that anyone else can do if they just take there time and put themselfe in to the subjects. I may be a bit extrem or something like that - But In my culture we learn this things in the schools and if not we learn them for our selfe. But I dont know. Freedom of speach is for me a dead sentence in today socity. Well you can speak out of almost everything that is as long as you dont bargin with the political correct picture of the situation.

Proof or no proof - If you walk against the mainstream you will always be targeted as a enemy of the Utopia we are served and you are always targeted as a hate or something else just to make you selfe shut the hell up and feel aschamed because you dont think or maby act as everybody else. Well that is something I am calling the backward time-machine.

You are making a trip back in time and are still there and Guilty as charge even if you may have proof or are considered as inocient untill proven guilty. Well I have learn that you dont say a shit about sensitive subjects and just play along as the blind, deaf and know nothing person and you can still act as a human in this world. If it is right? If it is the way people like the world to look like.

Sure I am not complaining but anytime in the future I am totaly assured that this people will wake up in to the nightmare they selfe have constructed and then - The freedom of speach dont mean a jackass if you ask me. ;)

Cheers:
Doc.S
:viking:

There are a lot of evident restrictions. Your right to swing your fists end at the tip of my nose. Also, please don't walk into a convenience store or bank wearing a ski mask but it's okay on the ski slopes. Common sense should determine your actions. Just try driving behind 100 Hell's Angels in your YUGO and start blowing your horn at them to move over. :shock:

Back