what happen when a 155 H.e hit m1a2 front armor?

--

October 25th, 2008  
ftmm

Topic: what happen when a 155 H.e hit m1a2 front armor?

it will stun the person in tank a lot monent ?
October 25th, 2008  
mmarsh

It might do considerably more than just stun them, depending where it hit, we have artillery gunners on this site that will tell you a 155mm hit will leave you with an everlasting impression.
October 26th, 2008  
chronoserpent

Lol, an everlasting impression! Nice pun!
--
October 26th, 2008  
ftmm

155 H.E have 5kg tnt
October 27th, 2008  
Redleg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftmm
155 H.E have 5kg tnt
Most HE shells have a bit more then that..
This is the standard 155 HE round for many NATO Howitzers
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M107_projectile

And here's an extended range 155 HE shell (a bit more HE in that one as well)
http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita...tions/m795.htm

But the HE itself isn't the most important thing when looking at a direct hit by a 155mm arty shell....
The kinetic energy will be pretty massive when a 45+ Kg projectile hits a tank at 400m/s - 500m/s....
October 29th, 2008  
SHERMAN

I dont know if it will penetrate. Educated guess: it will destroy alot of systems. Optics, Hydrolics etc will stop working. If the commander has hes head out he will die probably. However, as Im sure Redleg will agree, the chances of a direct hit are very slim. SPA is not meant to shoot direct fire on tanks. It takes much longer for them to aim on a tank that is close by than for the tank. On the other hand, there is no shame in running the hell away...
December 2nd, 2008  
HokieMSG

I think the over pressure would probable leave all crewmen deaf. Even with the hatches closed the turret blowwer would allow alot of the pressure in.

Optics, Gone. With or without the doghouse doors closed.
Radios. Might survive but the antennas would be shredded.
Paint. Would likely need some more of this.

Underwear. 4 news sets required.
December 2nd, 2008  
Lunatik

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieMSG
Underwear. 4 news sets required.
Ehhehe, that just cracked me up.

Also, don't the crewmen go deaf (temporarily?) even when an RPG-7 hits the outer armor? I'd imagine any explosion involving X amount of HE would be pretty damn loud and sitting in a closed metal box a few inches from the detonation probably doesn't help that much? Or are tanks mostly sound-proof?
December 2nd, 2008  
HokieMSG

Their CVC's (Combat Vehicle Crewman) helmets would probably protect them from the RPG7's. Overpressure from that not likely to be more than the main gun. (Safety concerns require that the loders hatch remain open during firing on training exercises). My concern would be from the 5+kg (10+lbs) of explosive going off. I detonated 1/2lb of C4 in scout school and was 500ft away and still felt the pressure wave.
December 2nd, 2008  
SHERMAN

tank crews are deagf anyway(trust me on that)