what happen when a 155 H.e hit m1a2 front armor?

It might do considerably more than just stun them, depending where it hit, we have artillery gunners on this site that will tell you a 155mm hit will leave you with an everlasting impression.

155 H.E have 5kg tnt
Most HE shells have a bit more then that.. :smil:
This is the standard 155 HE round for many NATO Howitzers
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M107_projectile

And here's an extended range 155 HE shell (a bit more HE in that one as well)
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/munitions/m795.htm

But the HE itself isn't the most important thing when looking at a direct hit by a 155mm arty shell....
The kinetic energy will be pretty massive when a 45+ Kg projectile hits a tank at 400m/s - 500m/s.... :cool:

I dont know if it will penetrate. Educated guess: it will destroy alot of systems. Optics, Hydrolics etc will stop working. If the commander has hes head out he will die probably. However, as Im sure Redleg will agree, the chances of a direct hit are very slim. SPA is not meant to shoot direct fire on tanks. It takes much longer for them to aim on a tank that is close by than for the tank. On the other hand, there is no shame in running the hell away...:)

I think the over pressure would probable leave all crewmen deaf. Even with the hatches closed the turret blowwer would allow alot of the pressure in.

Optics, Gone. With or without the doghouse doors closed.
Radios. Might survive but the antennas would be shredded.
Paint. Would likely need some more of this.

Underwear. 4 news sets required.

Underwear. 4 news sets required.
Ehhehe, that just cracked me up. :smil:

Also, don't the crewmen go deaf (temporarily?) even when an RPG-7 hits the outer armor? I'd imagine any explosion involving X amount of HE would be pretty damn loud and sitting in a closed metal box a few inches from the detonation probably doesn't help that much? Or are tanks mostly sound-proof?

Their CVC's (Combat Vehicle Crewman) helmets would probably protect them from the RPG7's. Overpressure from that not likely to be more than the main gun. (Safety concerns require that the loders hatch remain open during firing on training exercises). My concern would be from the 5+kg (10+lbs) of explosive going off. I detonated 1/2lb of C4 in scout school and was 500ft away and still felt the pressure wave.

CVC helmets.. yeah they do a pretty good job of keeping the noise out. Wore it a few times when I was on an NBC Recon vehicle.

CVC's

They are a good bit of kit, but they got here a bit too late, as sherman said, you can only hear 120mm, 76mm, 30mm, 25mm and .50 cal so many times wearing a VTH before you lose your hearing.

Add to my last.

I have sat 10m behind a Bangalore (11 kg's of PE 4) in a M113A1 wearing a VTH, when it blew a hole in the wire and I'm still here.

Ehhehe, that just cracked me up. :smil:

Also, don't the crewmen go deaf (temporarily?) even when an RPG-7 hits the outer armor? I'd imagine any explosion involving X amount of HE would be pretty damn loud and sitting in a closed metal box a few inches from the detonation probably doesn't help that much? Or are tanks mostly sound-proof?
they crew won't go deaf because we have to wear CVC head sets:avi: at all times. When we get hit by 155 IED's in Iraq we felt the jolt more then we heard it. I think a direct hit will have the same affect. I'm not deaf and been doing this job for 10 years.

Last edited:
they crew won't go deaf because we have to wear CVC head sets:avi: at all times. When we get hit by 155 IED's in Iraq we felt the jolt more then we heard it. I think a direct hit will have the same affect. I'm not deaf and been doing this job for 10 years.

Ever seen a tank take a direct hit from a 155? I saw an old M60 taking one and it looked really bad. There are alot of systems that i dont think can survive such a serious shock.

I think the problem though is that a 155mm HE shell isn't exactly designed to explode and fragment forward. Most of the pressure from the explosion shoulld go sideways, and I think the tank's armor can mostly absorb the kinetic energy of the projectile? Sure, it'll probably take out all the sensors and hydraulics, etc, but as long as the crew cabin isn't breached then I think the tanks is the winner? Especially if it's got explosive-reactive armor?

Last edited:
like i said 155mm SPA is not a tank hunting weapon. the chance of a direct hit are minimal. the one i saw was an old M60 used for target practice by us, when the SPA guys wanted to demonstrate their possible emergency use against tanks(if the arty battery is about to be overrun). they fired at 800 meters or so with a lot of propellent and their heaviest round. result was a very ****ed up M60. the M60 isent close to being a modern MBT in any way though.

Ever seen a tank take a direct hit from a 155? I saw an old M60 taking one and it looked really bad. There are alot of systems that i dont think can survive such a serious shock.
M-60 tanks are not armored with depleted uranium either. As a matter of fact, name any other tank armored in DU other than M1a1s/ M1a2s

like i said 155mm SPA is not a tank hunting weapon. the chance of a direct hit are minimal. the one i saw was an old M60 used for target practice by us, when the SPA guys wanted to demonstrate their possible emergency use against tanks(if the arty battery is about to be overrun). they fired at 800 meters or so with a lot of propellent and their heaviest round. result was a very ****ed up M60. the M60 isent close to being a modern MBT in any way though.
Plus if the tank was used already for target practice for years, then the tank most likely lost structural integrity from being hit by shoulder fired anti-tank missiles in range exercises.

Back