what happen when a 155 H.e hit m1a2 front armor? - Page 2




 
--
 
December 3rd, 2008  
A Can of Man
 
 
CVC helmets.. yeah they do a pretty good job of keeping the noise out. Wore it a few times when I was on an NBC Recon vehicle.
December 3rd, 2008  
johnnyQAMR
 
 

Topic: CVC's


They are a good bit of kit, but they got here a bit too late, as sherman said, you can only hear 120mm, 76mm, 30mm, 25mm and .50 cal so many times wearing a VTH before you lose your hearing.
December 3rd, 2008  
johnnyQAMR
 
 

Topic: Add to my last.


I have sat 10m behind a Bangalore (11 kg's of PE 4) in a M113A1 wearing a VTH, when it blew a hole in the wire and I'm still here.
--
December 3rd, 2008  
Alexin_Cobra
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik
Ehhehe, that just cracked me up.

Also, don't the crewmen go deaf (temporarily?) even when an RPG-7 hits the outer armor? I'd imagine any explosion involving X amount of HE would be pretty damn loud and sitting in a closed metal box a few inches from the detonation probably doesn't help that much? Or are tanks mostly sound-proof?
they crew won't go deaf because we have to wear CVC head sets at all times. When we get hit by 155 IED's in Iraq we felt the jolt more then we heard it. I think a direct hit will have the same affect. I'm not deaf and been doing this job for 10 years.
December 3rd, 2008  
SHERMAN
 
 
Quote:
they crew won't go deaf because we have to wear CVC head sets at all times. When we get hit by 155 IED's in Iraq we felt the jolt more then we heard it. I think a direct hit will have the same affect. I'm not deaf and been doing this job for 10 years.
Ever seen a tank take a direct hit from a 155? I saw an old M60 taking one and it looked really bad. There are alot of systems that i dont think can survive such a serious shock.
December 3rd, 2008  
Lunatik
 
 
I think the problem though is that a 155mm HE shell isn't exactly designed to explode and fragment forward. Most of the pressure from the explosion shoulld go sideways, and I think the tank's armor can mostly absorb the kinetic energy of the projectile? Sure, it'll probably take out all the sensors and hydraulics, etc, but as long as the crew cabin isn't breached then I think the tanks is the winner? Especially if it's got explosive-reactive armor?
December 3rd, 2008  
SHERMAN
 
 
like i said 155mm SPA is not a tank hunting weapon. the chance of a direct hit are minimal. the one i saw was an old M60 used for target practice by us, when the SPA guys wanted to demonstrate their possible emergency use against tanks(if the arty battery is about to be overrun). they fired at 800 meters or so with a lot of propellent and their heaviest round. result was a very ****ed up M60. the M60 isent close to being a modern MBT in any way though.
December 4th, 2008  
A Can of Man
 
 
In a few months I might have a few tank stories.
December 4th, 2008  
Alexin_Cobra
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHERMAN
Ever seen a tank take a direct hit from a 155? I saw an old M60 taking one and it looked really bad. There are alot of systems that i dont think can survive such a serious shock.
M-60 tanks are not armored with depleted uranium either. As a matter of fact, name any other tank armored in DU other than M1a1s/ M1a2s
December 4th, 2008  
Alexin_Cobra
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHERMAN
like i said 155mm SPA is not a tank hunting weapon. the chance of a direct hit are minimal. the one i saw was an old M60 used for target practice by us, when the SPA guys wanted to demonstrate their possible emergency use against tanks(if the arty battery is about to be overrun). they fired at 800 meters or so with a lot of propellent and their heaviest round. result was a very ****ed up M60. the M60 isent close to being a modern MBT in any way though.
Plus if the tank was used already for target practice for years, then the tank most likely lost structural integrity from being hit by shoulder fired anti-tank missiles in range exercises.
 


Similar Topics
A Privately Sold Body Armor Failed Tests, Army Says
U.S. May Armor Most Vehicles
US Army bans use of privately bought armor
can Red Arrow 9A penatrade M1 tank?