What do you guys think about Polish military?

Great, you guys have done an excellent job In helping the USA, and Id say you are one of our most trusted friends In the world!

I don't know much about Polish army, but I do have 2 impressions about it:

1. There was during WWII a lot of Polish army officiers executed by Russian Red Army, i just knew it from Chinese history book, but never digged into it why they did that.

2. I once read Polish was very powerful and occupied part or whole of Russia, don't know details about it.

May you can introduce some info about Polish army?

Also I think Poland will become a 100% pure West European country very soon, and you are already in EU, good future for you.

Whenever I think of the poland, I feel a great saddness for what they endured in past times...

as for their army? I have no clue. But I bet it ain't bad.

Big_Z said:
I dont know much but ive heard their "GROM" special forces unit is incredible.

They are very capable and professional warriors and anyone that comes into contact with them have nothing but the highest regards.

Heres a question, I see alot of Poles with AK varients, but have seen other's with HK weapons and even M-16 Imports. What is the standered issue rifle?

FlyingFrog said:
Also I think Poland will become a 100% pure West European country very soon, and you are already in EU, good future for you.

Quite true. The Iron Curtain stood in the way before, but they are one of the most devout Catholic countries in Europe. Most of Eastern Europe is Orthodox. So Poland would identify well with the West.

Poland got a bad name for themselves because of something that happened in WW2. Polish cavalry charged the German Panzers with lances and spears. That move didn't reflect too well on Poland.

Polish Army

If the leadership of a shipyard electrician with the inspiration of a Polish priest can bring down the Soviet Union, just imagine what that country's military must be like. In my opinion Lech Walesa and John Paul II brought down the USSR and Ronald Reagan took the credit.

About cavalry charging tanks...

Quite true. The Iron Curtain stood in the way before, but they are one of the most devout Catholic countries in Europe. Most of Eastern Europe is Orthodox. So Poland would identify well with the West.

Poland got a bad name for themselves because of something that happened in WW2. Polish cavalry charged the German Panzers with lances and spears. That move didn't reflect too well on Poland.

Well... Polish cavalry charging tanks incident is actually made up by nazi propaganda. It went like this: Polish cavalary units were charging some german infrantry unit, catching them off guard. When germans started to pull back, german light tanks came to support them. Having no time to retreat, some cavalarymen tryied to take down those tanksm with anti-tank granades. With poor effects. Rest of cavalry unit pulled back. After the battle, nazis called in french reporters and told them that its a typical polish tactic to charge tanks on horseback. Polish cavalry units usally DID NOT charge on horseback. They acted as mobile infantry, dismounting before fight. That time they did charge, because it worked for thier advantage. But of course, what french reporters say is more important than the truth... Germans won in September so they wrote the history of this campaign. Its always like this.

"History is written by the victors" - Winston Churchill

I know nothing of their military other than that which I have seen here, but based on what I have seen, I think that they would punch well above their weight.

In The Royal Australian Navy of my day we had a very high ratio of Poles, particularly in the Engineering Branch, I never met a bad one,... except when it comes to spelling their names on the Watchbill

Damned names like, Adamciewicz (Always called "A to Z"), Szarzewski and Kryzwowzyja, with names like that, you'd have to be able to fight. :D

Last edited:
Back