What is a gauss pistol?

I've designed and built many solenoids in my career but this is the first time I've thought about this application. When I see electromagnets pick up car bodies three at a time, I can see a possibility, by very,very fast and unique shaped pulses of propelling a ferromagnetic rod but I can't see much kinetic energy being produced because of the limitations of magnetic fields and the very slow speed of the field building up and collapsing in the coil(s). It's still interesting to study all the inherent physics involved and try to think of a way to produce and control acceleration. Unfortunately, I slept through some magnetics classes but younger minds and changing technology may work through problems that we thought were impossible to solve.

With that kind of technology, no suppressors, casings, gun powder, gas system are required and we'd save a lot of money and time.

for you star wars nerds out there, this is the same system used in Chewbacca's bowcaster. a very interesting thing, coil guns are.......

Buy yourself a good collapsible crossbow. If it was good enough for Special Forces, it's good enough.

Somewhere else in the forums is a question concerning a "rail gun". I believe the principles would be the same right? But the weight would be a factor more than anything at this point. Technological advancements would need to be made to magnifay the power for a less hefty weapon.

A gauss gun, if it were sufficiently cooled and powered (I'd say power supply should be integral in the magazine for logistic's sake) would be a very versatile weapon.

Ammo storage would be more efficient as there'd be no need for propellant, but the projectiles would have to be massive (not big, just massive) to do any damage and would add a lot of weight. Any gauss gun would probably be able to beat conventional slugthrowers in velocity and range easily, but they would not be completely silent as the sonic boom from the projectile going at hypersonic speeds would make a loud crack. Alternatively, the operator might be able to "turn it down" using a switch and fire at subsonic velocity only, and maybe even lower so it works like a dart gun.

Heat dissipation and power supply are the biggest obstacles right now, I believe.

Back