What enviroment is the toughest to fight/train in?

What enviroment is the toughest to train/fight in

• Urban

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Desert

• Woodland

• Mountains

• Plains/ flat land

• Sea/beaches

• Jungle

• Other

• Total voters
I've usually been good with the cold... though machines breaking down would be a huge problem.
HEAT. Now there's something that drives me nuts. Heat and humidity. Sucks the life out of everything. And in the desert you won't get water, you won't have anything. You won't find any cover or concealment. So if you're any other army other than the US Army you are screwed.

Well in the cold you can prepare yourself. You can wear 5 layers of clothing then take off a layer if you get hot, weapons will be prepped for that kind of weather. Now say if your in Afganistan where its 110 degrees in the shade you cant take off your bullet proof vest and so on. I'm from the midwest, me and extreme heat dont mix well.

I lived in the tropics and spent a good deal of time in the rainforest... misery is running at 4pm during the rainy season.
Tropics... it's just where everything stops working and starts decomposing. I said desert though. But jungles might actually be worse looking back. Not to mention disease in the swampy bits.
OHh wait a minute! That reminds me of Dien Bien Phu. It's a swamp, it's surrounded by jungle, it's in the low lands in a place that floods. Brilliant choice of a defensive position :lol:

Doc.S said:
Artic and winter because I can´t tell if it would be worse in Deserts because there I have never been so I say winter. :D

I hate deep snow in combination of sleetsnow storms and drastic dropping temperatures, you get soaky wet of sweat and sleetsnow then you get cold like a snowman and your equipment just drag you deeper and deeper down in the snow to your waist and then a invisible ditch with thin ice and you get wet all up to your thighbones.

I really hate the winter. Out there you only wish that :santa: could make a visit with his reindeers and a barrel of hot wine punch. :lol:

Cheers:
Doc.S

:viking:

Winter rules, i just cant wait for the frist snow, lucky Redleg.. :D

I voted other, I trained at Fort Polk, LA in the late 60's for Jungle, trained in the Mojave Desert at Hunter Liggett, 29 Plams, and Camp Roberts CA.. I trained in Europe for my Artic Cold Weather and they are all have their points of dislikes. I think the worse of the three is the Artic, love Combat in the Cities, only was in winter as well.

SFC

I say jungle. Even though it's nearly impossible for your enemy to see you, it's just as hard for you to see him. In my opinion, this makes for quite a frustrating situation.

Urban: lots of doors, upstairs windows, close quarters, lots of corners.

Desert: hot, sand storms, harsh weather, little water, not much cover over all.

Arctic: cold, harsh, fikkle, treacherous.

Jungle: dense, lots of dangerous animals, perfect for ambush.

Beaches: open, sometimes hard sometimes soft. can be treacherous for vehicles.

High terrain: It depends on the terrian.

the_13th_redneck said:
You like combat in cities? That's the place you're most likely to get killed.

When you train for it, then it becomes your job and if properly trained and you paid attention this still does not mean you will survive.

SFC

Yeah I know. Just that the conveniences of not getting all wet and covered in cr*p are compensated by a much higher casualty rate. Not to mention if you're attacking, concealment could be a huge problem.

I voted for jungle. My old man fought in the jungles of Borneo in 63 and he always said is was hellish.

He said you'd go out on patrol for a week at a time. You didn't wash as the smell of soap could be detected, and you had to shave your head to stop yourself getting lice, and all the while you were being eaten alive by the leeches and mozzies.

On top of that there was the constant threat of boobytraps and enemy ambushes. So that seems the worst if you ask me! :D

AngloSaxon said:
I voted for jungle. My old man fought in the jungles of Borneo in 63 and he always said is was hellish.

He said you'd go out on patrol for a week at a time. You didn't wash as the smell of soap could be detected, and you had to shave your head to stop yourself getting lice, and all the while you were being eaten alive by the leeches and mozzies.

On top of that there was the constant threat of boobytraps and enemy ambushes. So that seems the worst if you ask me! :D

Ah, lovely Borneo .. I still have scars from the bug bites.

I was born and raised in the tropics so I think if it were me I'd have trouble fighting in the cold. I hate it when you have to run and your lungs feel like they're burning and you lose feeling in your fingers, toes, and ears. But I voted for urban. Sure you might be freezing your butt off or sitting around in jungle heat, but in an urban environment you might have to deal with the environment along with some kid holding an AK. Not even that, what about having to constantly watch your back for snipers above you and women hiding around corners with mines ready to ambush you. That sounds like hell and then some.

the_13th_redneck said:
Yeah I know. Just that the conveniences of not getting all wet and covered in cr*p are compensated by a much higher casualty rate. Not to mention if you're attacking, concealment could be a huge problem.

You can get just as wet. cold/hot and covered in cr*p fighting in an urban enviroment as you can any other. Each one has it's own particular dangers and discomforts.

egoz said:
I was born and raised in the tropics so I think if it were me I'd have trouble fighting in the cold. I hate it when you have to run and your lungs feel like they're burning and you lose feeling in your fingers, toes, and ears. But I voted for urban. Sure you might be freezing your butt off or sitting around in jungle heat, but in an urban environment you might have to deal with the environment along with some kid holding an AK. Not even that, what about having to constantly watch your back for snipers above you and women hiding around corners with mines ready to ambush you. That sounds like h**l and then some.

That isn't just in urban settings. :lol:

Cold/Wet - Hot/Wet - Hot/Dry - Cold/Dry.....all are a pain and have their problems.

Maintaining weapons in the cold is just as bad as maintianing them in hot sandy environments. Urban warfare is mute, since like SFC said, you train for it, it is the weather or altitude that will get you and guess what, there are urban environments there too. Personally, I prefer to stay away from the cold mountain places, that's why I really enjoyed Norway in Nov/Dec during Northern Wedding/Bold Guard.

Back