What does everyone think about the federal shutdown?(military not getting paid)

If it has to be done, well, so be it. But I think that the opposition does this out of spite and the will to obstruct the government. And the fact that some well fed and well paid people want to hamper the political progress pure out of "ideology" well..... that is something you rarely saw in the soviet days. And I think it is sad to fight this out over the back of many honest government employees. The ones who started this shut down won't feel a thing and it is the little man who will feel this badly!

This was political BS from the get go.
It was never going to happen.
Some real shameful stuff, IMO.

Politics..

Precisely. Two groups of immature brats obsessed with trying to one up the other. Either blind or simply uncaring of the damage that their bickering and showmanship is causing the country.

And you know what the sad part is? The budget they finally agreed on was $39 Billion savings (the deficit is $13 Trillion). They are Squabbling over peanuts. Neither side really wanted to go after the real problems.

Last edited:
Disaster averted.
Really? How so? 39 billion dollars doesn't mean squat to the government. And you really think "disaster averted"?

WHAT disaster? When you look at the people that were going to be put on hold, you'll see that not counting military, the majority really have no business being where they are. Jobs that really mean nothing. No disaster in any capacity.

Maybe a few blessings, I think.

Really? How so? 39 billion dollars doesn't mean squat to the government. And you really think "disaster averted"?

WHAT disaster? When you look at the people that were going to be put on hold, you'll see that not counting military, the majority really have no business being where they are. Jobs that really mean nothing. No disaster in any capacity.

Maybe a few blessings, I think.

Don't you think our 1 million service people not being paid would have been a disaster? Also there other federal employees that do vital jobs INS, FBI, FAA, FDA, DEA etc...It wouldn't be a good thing if they walked off the job because they didn't get paid. These people have families to feed too.

I agree $39 Billion is peanuts, but nobody wins in a shutdown.

Last edited:
Don't you think our 1 million service people not being paid would have been a disaster? Also there other federal employees that do vital jobs INS, FBI, FAA, FDA, DEA etc...It wouldn't be a good thing if they walked off the job because they didn't get paid. These people have families to feed too.

I agree $39 Billion is peanuts, but nobody wins in a shutdown.

If they really want to make a difference, they can leave the workers alone and save money by NOT paying senate and congress. That would save far more, I'm sure of it.

Sure, it's easy to strike on the little man... But to face the real problems, they just dont dare...

I think that if they want to save money, they should think about closing useless projects... I mean the really expensive ones...And they should save the manpower, these people should be used somewhere else. Where they are used in a constructive manner.

But in the other hand, governments are an ancient system bound to fail/be replaced at some place and time... They are inefficient. Some people will find trouble in their lives... But that's the price to pay if you built your life inside a sinking ship.

i agree. we also need to slash the senate and congress's pay. obama too strung up on the tax cut thing.

another thing that would help, if they REALLY want to slash the defense budget, pull us out of iraq,afghanistan and libya. either all or nothing. not halfway. halfway is what gets troops killed.

Back