What is the difference, M4, M16A4, C8

King_Kahuna

What is the difference between the M4 an the M16A4.?
And then you have the C8. Is that the same type of weapon like the M16, or is it a big differens?

And I have heard some roomers that the berretta is a none trusty weapon, is that true ? :stupid:

The M16A4 is the same as an M-16, except that the carrying handle has been removed and replaced with a Picatinny rail that allows the attachment of more accessories.
The M-4 is an upgrade of the old CAR-16. It is a shortened M-16 (carbine) that also has an adjustable stock. It is claimed that it is as accurate as the M-16 in spite of the fact that the barrel is significantly shorter.
The C-8 is the Canadian built version of the M-4, it is slightly different in appearance, but underneath it is basically the same thing.

Dean.

Who claims the M4, with the 138mm shorter barrel, is as accurate as the M16? Everything I've seen suggests that the M16A2's effective range exceeds that of the M4 by about 200m.

C8 is a similar/edited version of M4, "developed" (produced with license from Colt) by fmr Dimaceo (now Colt Canada)
Rumour has it that C8 is better than M4 in cold enviroments. And I`ve heard that those who has C8 is envyied by those who have M4.

these guys have it on the head, and from what I've seen of Berettas in action, the company makes a darn good firearm.

Okay the first first things first. The difference between the m-4 and the m-16 is that the M-4 has a shorter barrel, an ex-stendable and re-tracktable stock, can have better grip, has better accuracy than the m-16, can have more equipment on it (optics, sling, etc...), better for CQC (close quaters combat) because of its size and because of that its perfect for urban and indoor combat, its light and easy to carry. But the M-4 has its flaw because of it's short barrel its range is decreased. The M-16 is a pretty good weapon beacuse of the barrel the range is incresed, it can do all the same as the M-4 but it is less effective at CQC, and its heavy and big. The M-4 is used by specs, assault, etc.., the M-16 is used by drivers, pilots, and medics.

The C-8 is the same as the M-4 but is the Canadian version ( the C means candaian).

Now the Berretta; the Berretta is a pretty good handgun but it has alot of important flaws. The first one is the the Berretta tends to jam in inappropriate times during combat, it has a small catridge and the cartridge hardly goes in, the cartridge rejecter button hardly works, the trigger handle is to small and there's hardly any grip to cok the weapon.

Last edited:
has better accuracy than the m-16
No.

The M-16 is...heavy and big
Not that much heavier than the m4, especially when compared to an m4 with all the goodies attached.

the M-4...can have more equipment on it.
The m16 can have rail system too, and a longer one to boot.

The M-4 is used by specs, assault, etc.., the M-16 is used by drivers, pilots, and medics.
Total misinformation.

Now the Berretta;
I assume you're talking about the M9. Again, without citations, this info seems like it came from an airsoft forum, of which THIS forum is not.

I have no knowledge of the C8, so I won't post any misinformation about it. I advise those who have no experience with US weapons to kindly STFU.

Last edited:
I know this is unlikely, but can someone give me an unbiased report of the differences between the C8 and the M4?

Or should I just Wiki it and save myself some pain?

c/Commander said:
I know this is unlikely, but can someone give me an unbiased report of the differences between the C8 and the M4?

Unbiased? Heh. Where do you plan to get one of those opinions?

From the horses' mouths:

http://www.diemaco.com/c8-page.htm

http://colt.com/mil/M4_2.asp

In spite of what the picture on the Diemaco site might suggest, I doubt the C8 can be fired reliably if the barrel is full of water. :D

The rumour of the Canadian versions being more reliable than the US ones, is an old one. Basically back in the day the C7/C8 were and upgraded version of the M16/M4. This was in 1986... Now all the weapons have been upgraded and I am sure that there are no major differences. Especially now that most of the M4's and C8's have heavy barrels....

c/Commander said:

I don't think you will find many people here that have extensively used both rifles, but have used one or the other in austere conditions day in and day out. Performance on the range is different from performance in the field.

Last edited:
Back