What is the difference between the National Guard, Reserves etc?

captiva303

What are the difference between The regualr Army National gaurd and Reserves In the US?

I have Done a fairbit of googling but I just get more confused...

specifically is there a difference In training Positions available in each part of the services? What are there areas of responsibly additional regulations for the use and deployment. Are they utilized in deployed forces and how are they integrated into a deployed force?

Please help.:-?

Well don't confuse the US Army Reserve for the Australian Army Reserve. They function on very different levels, especially insofar as the deployment of the individual soldier is concerned.

The National Guard is probably the closest equivalent, but even they are different. I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong, but for example when an Aussie joins the ARES, he/she basically becomes a Commonwealth Employee, albeit one subject to the various Defence Acts, as well as military law in addition to civilian law whilst they are acting as a Defence Member, which they do on a part time basis.

When someone joins the National Guard, they actually join a State organisation again on a part time basis, only coming under Federal jurisdiction when their unit is activated for deployment (and from memory the whole unit deploys together, whereas US Reservists can deploy as individual soldiers as replacements into already deployed units).

If you want to troll a US Civilian about gun rights, just suggest that the National Guard in their state constitutes the well regulated militia mentioned in the 2nd Amendment thus invalidating and making redundant the ordinary citizen's right to bear arms. Then sit back and watch them hit the f*cking roof... hilarity ensues. :mrgreen:

Also the US Army Reserves doesn't have any combat arms units, the National Guard does. The Reserves are also smaller than the Guard.

What are the difference between The regualr Army National gaurd and Reserves In the US?

I have Done a fairbit of googling but I just get more confused...

specifically is there a difference In training Positions available in each part of the services? What are there areas of responsibly additional regulations for the use and deployment. Are they utilized in deployed forces and how are they integrated into a deployed force?

Please help.:-?
The USAR is the Reserve Component of the AD Army and a Federal Service.

USARNG is a State Service under control of the Governor of the State and his Adjutant General, unless Federalized.

USARNG completes USA Basic Training and AIT as well as receiving certain NG focused training blocks.

MOS is dictated in both the USAR and USARNG by the type of unit you will be assigned to and the needs of that unit.

The USARNG provides nearly all the non-active duty Combat arms formations.

In simple terms -
The American federal government is assigned the responsibility of defending the borders of the nation. The President is Commander-in-Chief of ALL federal forces.
As the United States is a federation of states unified as a republic, each state has the responsibility of defending itself. The governor of each state is the Commander-in-Chief of all military units created by each state's constitution.
Established with the Militia Act of 1903 under Title 10 and Title 32 of the U.S. Code, state National Guard serves as part of the first-line defense for the United States.[4] The state National Guard is divided into units stationed in each of the 50 states and US territories, and operates under their respective state governor or territorial adjutant general.[5] The National Guard may be called up for active duty by state governors or territorial adjutant general to help respond to domestic emergencies and disasters, such as hurricanes, floods, and earthquakes

Reserve units are just that - units that have been withdrawn from active status and put on a reserve status. They may be called up in the event of need and are then added to the federal force.

In both cases, individual units follow the Table of Organization and Equipment as standardized by each individual branch of service.

:m1:

Back