What did the 5-day Russia/Georgia war teach us about warfare?

If only anti-war groups were able to distinguish between necessary wars and pointless wars.

They are hence the reason GW1 received huge international support, Afghanistan has a large multi-national presence and Iraq has been left to those that screwed it up.

You want to see anti-war protests you crank up the draft, there is no way we can fight the Russians without the draft and there is no way our young people will go willingly in to the military in the numbers we need especially to face a Russian Winter not to mention the Russian Army fighting on their turf, that is just not even possible.

You want to see anti-war protests you crank up the draft, there is no way we can fight the Russians without the draft and there is no way our young people will go willingly in to the military in the numbers we need especially to face a Russian Winter not to mention the Russian Army fighting on their turf, that is just not even possible.

I agree, a draft would cause a huge fit.

However, if Russia makes a move first, we'd have international support and I think a large majority of youths would go and fight. It happened in WWII, it can happen again.

I think generation MTV will support the Russians. Only because it gives them an excuse not to do anything.
Here's one who won't. And it really should be called generation bad MTV. The real MTV died in the '90s.

But I agree, only a draft could get them to do anything.

It's why I hate that they all support the Iraq War. Why? You don't care about it, but it's just great that they're fighting it. Give me a reason. They never do. Because they don't know anything except who's dating who and who's good on American Idol. It's repulsive.

As a personal view, you have to put yourself there and say "Would I feel like I'm doing the right thing fighting on (whatever side) in this war?" If not, don't support it.

Even though I don't share many of the same views as the rest of you do, at least I care.

TOG, I don't think you have to explain that part to me.
You don't strike me as a "generation MTV" type, just a person not sold on the war in Iraq. And I guess you aren't going because you can't choose between Iraq and Afghanistan.
I don't think that they all support the war in Iraq. I've met only a few people personally who do.
Well, TOG, there's the personal view and there's the professional view. If you're not in it for a career then yeah it's not wise to join for something you don't believe in. If you're in it as a professional, time to shut up and get back to work.

Lessons the Soviet military learned:

1: Train your pilots better, they lost 4 CAS due to poor pilot execution of attacks by flying to close to the ground.

2: keep closer coordination between political leaders and the army, they violated two ceasefires due to lack of coordnation..or deliberate violations IE Baghdad Bob.

Lessons the Soviet leaders learned:

1: Don't make it so obvious that you planned this a long time ago, they had "peace keepers" building RRs and road networks that where the main artery for supplies during the Soviet invasion of Georgia.

2: Don't make it obviously apparent that the aggression is nothing more than Imperialism by stating Georgia lost its right to govern Georgian land and expressing the desire to anax or as they put it "merge" with the two rebel controlled provinces of Georgia.

3: The Soviets now know much of Europe can't do anything about anything regarding the Soviets..they are far to dependent on it's oil and the Soviets now can confirm that they hold them hostage.

I have, all the world should have, just one lesson. War is nothing. People kill each other for the sake of a small land. why can't people live in peace? And why does every country have plans to take over other country's land? or why does a country try to separate other country? A lot of people and countries support globalization, but these people and countries also try to establish separated countries. What a job it is!

Back