What did the 5-day Russia/Georgia war teach us about warfare?

Georgia's sovereignty and stability is very important for Europe's long term energy security as the world's second longest pipeline (BTC) passes through its southern territories with a daily capacity of 10 million barrels of oil per day! With a bully Russia up in the north and unstable Iran in the south, this is pretty much the only access route to rich and mostly untapped Central Asian / Caspian oil and gas reserves. Don't think Sarkozy rushed over to Russia because he's impressed by Saakashvili's dramatic TV performances, no, but because French oil giant Total has a 5% share in BTC. :)

This is pretty much at what ratio The World cares about Georgia:
BTCPipelineMap.gif

Yeap. :smil:

So, it's kind of like Mom and Dad are out of town for awhile........of course Iraq and Afghanistan are kind of in the neighborhood, Dad could drop in to check on things, or at least Mom...lol

I'll tell your father.

Those words from my mom strike fear into my heart.

This war was a sign of Russia getting on its feet more and more. Now they have guts to assault a poor wannabe NATO country. How long 'till they have the guts to screw up with unallied "rich" country like us...

Topmaul said:
I leaned the VSS is a pretty common weapon in the Russina Army these days
Actually, for various Special Forces or Recon units.
Topmaul said:
also the markeing "MC" stands for Peace Keepers
Миротворческие Силы - Peacekeeping Forces, more likely :)

I heard that Russia has about 23.000 Tanks (dunno how many of them still works :p), but Georgia has about 140 Tanks. Georgia has 32000 soldiers now and Russia has more than 300.000 . Then we can say that this war thought us the importance of numbers and mathmatics :)

Thats good training, should be for all troops though, not just SF. If your military personnel, you ought to have some pain tolerance training IMHO.

unfortunatly, even if the entire georgian army was high quality, the russian paratroopers, marine infantrz and other high quality units probably outnoumber them:)

If they were well organized, well trained, well lead, they could do a damned good job even with Russia's superior numbers. Look what happened in A stan. Russia's military personnel have fairly low morale, underpaid extremely, over worked, treated like poop in many ways.

Being airborne/para requires some major balls. I mean, chances are you'll get dropped smack in the middle of the conflict zone or worse, deep behind enemy lines. Your life expectancy isn't so high. So yeah, they'd better treat you well.

paratrooper-jump-bright-star07.jpg

Rough translation = Operation: Ass Reaming
In fact the title says The Ten Putin's strikes...

And further there are listed units participating in operation - мсп means `motor rifle regiment`, дшп - `airborne assault regiment`, шап - `ground attack airforce regiment` and so on.

In MY opinion, The United States was not financially prepared for another war. Their lack of action had nothing to do with being afraid. It had EVERYTHING to do with not being able to afford it. Russia CAN afford a war right now. Albeit a small one. They have been gaining financial wealth for the last few years, and it's now beginning to show.

We could afford if we needed to. I don't think the financial concern is the reason. Yes, pain in the butt but not the reason to avoid the war. The country is very much divided, half/half pretty much seems to me, don't need a major war during an election period either.

the American people would have a **** fit if we went to war with Russia, were already having a **** fit over iraq. in fact i'm listening to a band called System of a Down which is VERY anti-war, great band tho

Back