What did the 5-day Russia/Georgia war teach us about warfare?

I never put common sense and squared away with in the same paragraph with the Pentagon. The USAF is the branch with the smartest folks. The USAF should lead America's Cyber Warfare Group. They already are in charge of space so I think having them run hacking and cyber sleuthing isn't a major drain on the USAF's resources.

Out of all the agencies and the armed forces, I think NSA has the largest cyber warfare resources and supercomputer facilities available, no? Is NSA completely civilian or semi-military? Would the Pentagon involve them in a cyber war?

Handing over North Korea to the Chinese may actually make the world a better place or at least it would remove one crazy SOB from power and what on earth makes you think that Japan is "Rottweiler" at best they may rate as Shar pei these days.

In terms of agression the world only has three Rottweilers and they are Russia, China and the USA and I would suggest that in 15-20 years two of those will be downgraded to Terriers when the two genuine Superpowers take over (China and India as they will have both massive population and the economy).
Population has no effect on military strength in the 21st century, IMHO. And economy has little... When you can destroy a city with one press of a button, there's no need to have a billion soldiers. And as for the money, unless you have the resources for technological advance, you have nothing but toilet paper. And in my personal opinion, India has WAY more than 20 years...

On topic, I think one of the biggest thing the Russians taught us is that we need to be more aware. We cannot assume that just because a worldwide peaceful "come together" event is happening that our enemies aren't plotting. People don't drop 20 year grudges just for one unity ceremony. We really need to pay attention to what the bad guys are doing at all times. You never know when they might decide to come across the pond at us... California's not far away for Russia.

Out of all the agencies and the armed forces, I think NSA has the largest cyber warfare resources and supercomputer facilities available, no? Is NSA completely civilian or semi-military? Would the Pentagon involve them in a cyber war?

NSA is a civilian agency. They have a good cyber division but it's more on the spy/investigation side. The military needs it's own to run a cyber warfare unit and I think that the USAF is the best way to do it.

Why not the Marines? They're usually the first at a scene and the last to pull out. Shouldn't a cyber attack be continuous?

Bwahahahhhahaha absolutely. Absolutely. And the color printer will run out of ink in half an hour if you know what I mean.
Within two days the computers will have so much spyware and viruses to the point of uselessness.
Whoever came up with this idea must have been a lunatic.

For some reason I always thought that cyber warfare would be left to the Navy. They seem to like hanging out in control rooms full of wall-to-wall computers.

Georgia could have done more

The Georgian military had no chance of defeating the Russian invasion, but at least they could have put up some defense at Gori. At the very least they could use hit and run tactics and insurgent responses to the invasion. Instead, they fall back without firing a shot. They have 200 T 72's, so where are they? They don't seem to defend anything with much zeal. If that were Detroit, I guarantee the Russians would be fighting there for weeks if not longer.

The Georgians really don't seem as if they are willing to really defend their country. And, maybe it isn't worth defending in their view? 14 years ago most of their officers were Soviet officers and that must make it difficult to decide to fight the Russian military.

The Georgian military had no chance of defeating the Russian invasion, but at least they could have put up some defense at Gori. At the very least they could use hit and run tactics and insurgent responses to the invasion. Instead, they fall back without firing a shot. They have 200 T 72's, so where are they? They don't seem to defend anything with much zeal. If that were Detroit, I guarantee the Russians would be fighting there for weeks if not longer.

The Georgians really don't seem as if they are willing to really defend their country. And, maybe it isn't worth defending in their view? 14 years ago most of their officers were Soviet officers and that must make it difficult to decide to fight the Russian military.

Its a good point but I am of the opinion the Georgian president was under some strange delusion that NATO was going to come to his rescue.

One thing I did notice though is that early on when they were showing "evidence" of Russian air strikes on civilian targets in every case there were a couple of burnt out Georgian AFVs right next door and for all of Georgian claims that they were attacked I notice that right outside the Russian Peacekeeper HQ in the SO capital there are two wrecked Georgian tanks.

Lessons:

1. Do not commence the first strike if you are not sure enough that you will win entire war... otherwise you most likely will lose in an informational warfare.
  2. Anti-aircraft forces should be suppressed even if those are forces of small country such like Georgia.
  3. If you are chief commander of head of state, try to be consequent in your statements and actions. Do not report things that never happened for three or more times.
  4. Russian analytical sites claims ineffective use of Georgian artillery - so if you have a limited resources - learn to use and use them as effectively as possible.

Hahahahahahahahaha.

How can we back Georgia militarily when so many lefties in our country don't even like us taking military action after being attacked ourselves?

Back