What crimes warrant loss of citizenship?

--
Boots

May 31st, 2008  
Easy-8

Topic: What crimes warrant loss of citizenship?

I have heard people saying that certain people should stripped of citizenship for the commiting certain crimes. What crimes in your opinion warrant it?

IMO its the following:

- treason
- terrorism
- crimes against humanity
- lie while applying for cizitenship
- desertion or draft dodging during a time of war
May 31st, 2008  
MontyB

I assume you mean stripping immigrants of citizenship because you really can not strip natives of citizenship as you can't send anywhere but prison.
If so I personally think any crime that results in prison time, lock them up and then ship them back to where they came from.
May 31st, 2008  
A Can of Man

Depends on the laws.
These days there are so many that you break the law the instant you breathe.
--
Boots
May 31st, 2008  
5.56X45mm

The US has had a couple of folks commit treason. John Walker Lindh for example was tried and found guilty of being an enemy combatant and was sentenced to 20 years without parole. In previous conflicts he would have been executed by military firing squad. John Walker Lindh said this himself... "I provided my services as a soldier to the Taliban last year from about August to December. In the course of doing so, I carried a rifle and two grenades. I did so knowingly and willingly knowing that it was illegal."

Source - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Walker_Lindh

Martin James Monti was a USAAF Pilot that defected to the Nazis during WWII. He enlisted in the SS and later surrendered to US forces in Italy. He was arrested by the FBI in 1948 and tried for treason. He served 25 year in prison.

Source - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_James_Monti

Julius and Ethel Rosenberg were executed in June 19, 1953 for providing the Soviets with Nuclear Secrets. They were tried and found guilty under the 1917 Espionage Act.

Source - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethel_Rosenberg

Adam Yahiye Gadahn is the first person in the War on Terror to be tried under Treason.

Source - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adam_Yahiye_Gadahn

All of those mentioned did not have their Citizenship revoked.
May 31st, 2008  
A Can of Man

Either way if you're real crazy about kicking foreign born people out and keeping foreigners out in general, you better hope US schools kick serious ass. Unfortunately...

Also, automatic deportation upon a single arrest has a serious flaw.
If a situation warrants that a native born citizen and a naturalized citizen are involved in a conflict where they both would face some jail time, the native born citizen will always have the incredibly unbalanced upper hand. Let's say they were about to get into a fight over a heated argument. The naturalized citizen would have to stand there and get his ass whipped and hope the courts will believe him when he said he didn't throw a single punch.
May 31st, 2008  
MontyB

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_13th_redneck
Either way if you're real crazy about kicking foreign born people out and keeping foreigners out in general, you better hope US schools kick serious ass. Unfortunately...

Also, automatic deportation upon a single arrest has a serious flaw.
If a situation warrants that a native born citizen and a naturalized citizen are involved in a conflict where they both would face some jail time, the native born citizen will always have the incredibly unbalanced upper hand. Let's say they were about to get into a fight over a heated argument. The naturalized citizen would have to stand there and get his ass whipped and hope the courts will believe him when he said he didn't throw a single punch.
Not talking about a single arrest I am talking about a conviction for a "serious" crime. As far as "Native" having an advantage well is true to a limited extent, if your justice system is truly blind then no natives will not have an advantage.
June 1st, 2008  
A Can of Man

A serious crime? Yes I agree. Treason is a pretty serious crime.
However, I've got some issues with Terrorism because it's simply a word that doesn't have a TRUE definition yet. How can we deport someone for being a terrorist when the interpretation of this word is so loose?

What I do agree on.
Deporting:
- Repeat offenders (3 strikes)
- Treason (if not execution)
June 1st, 2008  
Easy-8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.56X45mm

All of those mentioned did not have their Citizenship revoked.

They should have lost their citizenship. It is more of correcting a error. For example many people list crimes that warrant capital punishment in countries or states that do not allow it.
June 2nd, 2008  
bulldogg

We have enough bloody laws, time for the litigious elements of our democratic society to exercise their right to free speech by STFU.
June 2nd, 2008  
Easy-8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyB
I assume you mean stripping immigrants of citizenship because you really can not strip natives of citizenship as you can't send anywhere but prison.
If so I personally think any crime that results in prison time, lock them up and then ship them back to where they came from.

I personally think the natives when stripped of their cizitenship should be held in prison for their term and held their longer until we find a country to take them in and then deport them.