What to do? conscripted but confused!

What should I choose? Combat role or Intelligence?

• Combat

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Intelligence

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

SHERMAN

Hi, please excuse my spelling.

I am almost 17 and live in Israel. As you may know all fit Israelis must join the IDF(Israeli Defence Forces). That is no problem. I am more then happy to serve, as did my entire family(8 officers). However I have a dilema. On one hand I will probably be approached by the intelligence core, on the other hand i will allso be approached by some Field units(probably infentary). I am not exactly a "fighter" type, but i feel that the frontline men make a whole diffrent contribution. I might make a good field soldier but ill probably make an exellent Intel man. Waht do you all think?
fill the poll
Amit

Hi Amit and Welcome to the forum.

Both the Intel and combat units depend on each other.
Going to combat without proper intel is in most cases suicide, and intel can't do much without combat units...

Since you say:
I might make a good field soldier but ill probably make an exellent Intel man
I think you should go for the option you feel that you can contribute most to..
Both combat and intel units are important, (even if the combat units get most of the credit for a job well done)

Each have their own styles. I've been told that I oughta pursue a MI path when I hit the army, but my heart's with the infantry. Just remember, no matter what path you pick, every fiber of your work is done in support of that guy on the ground going into harms way. Fail that due to some slight of paperwork and you've screwed yourself in regards to purpose.

Well said Acerbus, I think if you definelty feel you will be contributing to the national defense of Isreal from an intel standpoint, then God bless ya. I hope you really get a sense of duty when they take you out to Masada :D

I hate dabbling in other peoples' lives, ultimately, you have to live with whatever you decide, and we can't make that decision for you. That being said, if you feel that you would perform best in an intel position, then that is what I would do if I were in your position, every part of the military relies on every other part to function successfully, and your contribution there would not be any less than if you were in a combat unit.

thanks for all the advice.

I know that eventually Ill have to choose my self, but I need some prospective(Im just a kid eventually...).
amit

don't gotta reason, but intelligence... if you aren't the combat type, then its not always a benefit... but its really your choice.. just rambling

My problem

My problem is not with getting shot at its just, well,i.....i hate running and stuff...I mean i can do it if i have to but i dont like it....

Ehrmm.. Sorry, I voted wrong.. I accidently clicked the wrong vote without thinking of it..

Sorry, Man..

I think you should do intelligence..

I'd definately go for the intel position unless you want to tell a lot of war stories. Folks that do intel are the unsung heroes who do lots of interesting and amazing stuff but can never get the limelight for it. So if you are a person who can get satisfaction from staying behind the scenes even when you are part of something that is huge then this is for you. Otherwise take the combat or something else because you would never be happy in intel. I voted your poll for intel with this disclaimer.

thanks

thanks wingnutz
I understand that....Its ok i dont have a problem with keeping my mouth shut...and in Israel everybody has respect for intel....plus there are always my family members to confy to...most have very high security clearences....being officers them selves

I'm 19, so I'm not that much different from you, other than that I am already contracted. For me, let's put it this way. My top 3 choices for branching when I commission are all combat arms. My 4th choice is MI.

yes...

But you volenteerd...Anyways....we will see...I still dont know my options...maybe ill get somthing even better then MI

ckim715 said:
I'm 19, so I'm not that much different from you, other than that I am already contracted. For me, let's put it this way. My top 3 choices for branching when I commission are all combat arms. My 4th choice is MI.

You can only have two Combat Arms in your top three choices. That tripped me up, too. MP and ADA are not considered combat arms, but you still watch stuff go boom, which is what it seems you're interested in, so you might want to fill in that last choice with one of those.

Also, just FYI FSaG, my dad was MI in the USAF (how about that use of acronyms?) and worked as a linguist, the government paid for him to learn Chinese, Vietnamese, German, and Spanish. And I couldn't even get to an understandable level of the Espanol after four years of classes. What's up with those genetics?

seriuosly.... my parents are gonna pay me to take spanish... but i've already taken like 4 spanish classes in different things.... why would i learn anything now?

i wanna take french :D

never mind.

I was asked to refrain from future french jokes. I am sorrey if I offended anyone. I would note that in WWI the french fought bitterly and to the last man in every area. They also won many battles during the Napolionic era.
Sherman 105

Back