What is it with the Chinese and hacking?

MontyB

All-Blacks Supporter
Chinese hack film festival site
Chinese hackers have attacked the website of Australia's biggest film festival over a documentary about Uighur leader Rebiya Kadeer.
Content on the Melbourne International Film Festival site was briefly replaced with the Chinese flag and anti-Kadeer slogans on Saturday, reports said.
In an earlier protest on Friday, Beijing withdrew four Chinese films.
Melbourne's The Age newspaper says private security guards have been hired to protect Kadeer and other film-goers.
She is due to attend the screening of Ten Conditions of Love, by Australian documentary-maker Jeff Daniels, on 8 August.
'Vile language'
Chinese authorities blame Kadeer, leader of the World Uighur Congress, for inciting ethnic unrest in Xinjiang - charges she denies.

Hey, we're an independent arts organisation and it's our programme!
Richard Moore Head of the Melbourne International Film Festival
Earlier this month, around 200 people died and 1,600 were injured during fighting in the region between the mostly Muslim Uighurs and settlers from China's Han majority.
Kadeer, 62, spent six years in a Chinese prison before she was released into exile in the US in 2005. In 2004, she won the Rafto Prize for human rights.
Richard Moore, head of the Melbourne International Film Festival, told the BBC that he had come under pressure from Chinese officials to withdraw the film about Kadeer and cancel her invitation to the festival.
He said the attacks on the festival's website began about 10 days ago.
"We've been subjected to a number of these attacks and we can see behind the scenes on our website that there are hundreds, well, if not thousands, of people from outside of Australia trying to get into our website and trying to damage us," Mr Moore told the BBC's World Today programme.
"This has been going on... since obviously the call from a Chinese consular official who told me in no uncertain terms that I was urged to withdraw this particular documentary from the film festival and that I had to justify my actions in including the film in our programme," he went on.
"Hey, we're an independent arts organisation and it's our programme!"
He said police were investigating the website attacks, which appear to come from a Chinese internet address.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/entertainment/8169123.stm

Seems to me that the key to this is for Western "Hackers" start focusing on Chinese web sites, maybe convert a few of those "PR" sites into locations pushing the benefits of capitalism or pimping out the Chinese leadership, I am sure the rules will change once the premier finds he has been signed up on every gay messageboard there is.

Last edited:
I think that it's great, it wakes the public up to the fact that the Chinese in China are nothing like the lovely Denise Wong down at the local take away.

That they are a repressive regime who will go so far as to hack overseas sites so as not to allow people to see what the "real" China is like.

No, but they still get away with it because everyone's preoccupied about how evil America is, especially with all that information coming from America about America.

Hell, everyone loves to demonise the US, and in all honesty, they probably deserve some of it. However I think that even the worst of those know that it's only a matter of "relative" evil. The US doesn't even get a look in.

Australian politicians are not much better, and given half a chance they'd be in there with the worst of them.

A country that is supposed to be so big on respect really isnt showing or enforcing it :-? and isnt the Australian PM friends with the leader of China because of his ability to speak the language? :confused: yeah, I agree, trade and investment but I think the show must still go on. Everybody has skeletons in the closet, good grief!

It's the Chi-Coms..... they do it to feel important. Also because they're communist :cen:holes that want to control the Earth at some point in time. We're all their enemy and they're using us to fund their own desires before they attempt to destroy us.

Russians are doing the same. hacking...burning..bighting :D

US is being hipocritical. why doesnt US name China one of the worlds evils just like nKorea?

Personally I don't understand why a response is taking so long to materialize. They've been going at this for a few years now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_computer_security_hacker_history

I think for the most part people have done nothing about it because like most childish acts it is easier to ignore them and eventually they grow up and go away, the problem is that that in this case they don't seem to be growing up.

Back