What can I expect?

Greenie

I've heard that after the 17 weeks in Ft. Benning(airborn and basic) there is roughly 18 months of training in Ft. Bragg afterwards. Does this amount of time factor in the foreign language part of it? I was just curious if there were any U.S. SF (Green Berets) soldiers on this board and if so, what can be expected from this year and a half of training? Any insight to this would be appreciated...Thank you.

airborne and basic? You don't go straight to airborne. You go through Basic, then AIT. Also, to be in special forces, you have to go through SFAS first in order to go through the Q phase. Not everyone who even applies for SFAS gets to go through it. It's a tough process; also, I believe you have to be at least E-6 or E-7 in order to qualify for SFAS.

I've heard that after the 17 weeks in Ft. Benning(airborn and basic) there is roughly 18 months of training in Ft. Bragg afterwards. Does this amount of time factor in the foreign language part of it? I was just curious if there were any U.S. SF (Green Berets) soldiers on this board and if so, what can be expected from this year and a half of training? Any insight to this would be appreciated...Thank you.

Before I can answer your question, I'll need to know if you are enlisting under the 18X program or not. It seems as if you are, but before I type everything up, I would like confirmation.

Yes I am going into the 18x program, and I know all about the 17 weeks and stuff...but like how long is the SFAS process? Is it sililar to Hell Week?

Greenie said:
Yes I am going into the 18x program, and I know all about the 17 weeks and stuff...but like how long is the SFAS process? Is it sililar to Hell Week?
are you signed? Are you guaranteed an 18X slot? You do realize that they don't take anyone and everyone right?

but like how long is the SFAS process? Is it sililar to Hell Week?

First tip I have for you, work on your grammar and watch your spelling. Attention to detail. This is key if you want to become an SF soldier.

Once you finish OSUT and Abn at Ft. Benning, Ga you will PCS to Ft. Bragg, NC. This is what an 18Xer can expect:

Special Operations Preparation and Conditioning (SOPC I - 4 WEEKS): First two weeks, released for the evenings and weekends. Last two weeks you probably will not be released until the weekends because of night training. You’ll do Improcessing/PT Test/Basic Soldering/Land Navigation/PT. Bonus paperwork started (takes about 1 month for the money).

Phase I: Special Forces Assessment and Selection (SFAS – 4 WEEKS): (Lock Down Camp MacKall, No Phones). The purpose of SFAS is to identify soldier’s trainability and suitability for service in Special Forces. The program assesses physical fitness, motivation, and the ability to cope with stress. Activities include psychological test, physical fitness and swim test; runs, obstacle course, and ruckmarches; and military orienteering exercises. At the end of the course, an evaluation board meets to select those soldiers who may attend the Special Forces Qualification Course (SFQC). Most candidates find SFAS to be physically demanding. You must score a 229 on the Army Physical Fitness test for the 17 to 21 year age group, minimum of 60 points in each event.

LEAVE: Sometimes you will have leave after SFAS.

SOPC II (2 WEEKS): (Released on weekends only) Small Unit Tactics (SUT), Raids, Ambushes, Reconnaissance, and Patrolling.

COMMON CORE TRAINING (19 DAYS):(Lock Down Camp MacKall) Primary Leadership Development Course (PLDC), and Basic Non-Commissioned Officers Course (BNCOC).

Swim Training (2 WEEKS): Soldiers who have difficulty swimming will attend swim classes.

Phase II: Special Forces Qualification Course (SFQC – 7 WEEKS): (Lock Down Camp MacKall, No Phone Calls.) Phase II focuses on Land Navigation and Small Unit Tactics. Students conduct training at Camp MacKall, NC to assess individual ability in the two areas of emphasis.

bPhase III SFQC: Military Occupational Skill (MOS) Specific Training: (I won’t include the descriptions)

18B – 65 days
18C – 65 days
18D – 322 days (will not be assigned unless candidate shows high proficiency in medicine and is capabable)
18E – 65 days

Phase IV: Culmination Exercise/Robin Sage (6 WEEKS): (Lock Down Camp MacKall). Students are transported to Camp MacKall where they form Student SFODA and put their knowledge and skill to use in the Robin Sage Field Exercise (FTX). Robin Sage is a 19 day problem solving FTX. During this unconventional warfare exercise, the students are required to apply the lessons learned from previous months of Special Forces MOS training and field training. The exercise involves the students, counterinsurgen and guerrilla personnel (other service members), auxiliary personnel, and cadre. This scenario stresses realism because th student SFODA must train mock guerrilla force in a hostile environment using civilians in the surrounding community as the auxiliary. This exercise ranges approximately 50,000 square miles. By conclusion of Robin Sage, the students have been placed in many situations where they were required to use MOS and leadership skills, and their abilities were tested to work in adverse and ambiguous conditions. (Awarded Green Beret Upon Completion)

Phase V: Language Training (4 to 6 MONTHS): The Basic Military Language Course (BMLC) is primarily a performance-oriented course. Students must show proficiency in speaking, listening and reading. The general purpose of the course is to provide each student with the ability to communicate in a foreign language. For successful completion fo the course, the student must achieve at least a 70 percent average in all four modules, a 0+ or higher on the Defense Language Proficiency Test (DLPT) in two of the three graded areas (speaking, listening, and reading). The Languages are divided into four categories:

Category 1: Spanish, French, and Portuguese (18 Weeks)
Category 2: German, Indonesian (18 weeks)
Category 3: Czech, Persian-Farsi, Polish, Russian, Serbo-Croatian, Tagalog, Thai and Turkish (24 weeks)
Category 4: Arabic, Korean and Japanese (24 weeks)

Phase VI: Survival Evasion Resistance and Escape (SERE- 3 WEEKS): (Lock Down). The SERE course is conducted at Camp MacKall, NC. The goal of training in SERE is to teach personnel how to survive if they become separated from their unit; to evade a hostile force and make their way back to friendly forces; and to avoid capture. IN the event that soldiers are captured, SERE training prepares them to resist the enemy attempts at exploitation, to escape from captivity and return home with honor. (Awared the SF Tab upon completion)

Average Total Time from Enlistment to SF Unit 22-37 Months
(Includes wait times but not recycles)

Do not expect to get recycled in SOPC, too many 18Xers coming in, and they aren't wasting any time recycling. SFAS will weed any that shouldn't have made it through SOPC out.

Preparing for SFAS

USAJFKSWCS Preparatory Training Programs.
This program is physically and mentally demanding. To accomplish physical-related goals set by SFAS, applicants must be in good physical condition upon arrival at Fort Bragg N.C. Soldiers attending the SFAS program will perform physical tasks that will require them to climb obstacles (by use of a rope) 20 to 30 feet high, swim while in uniform, and travel great distances cross-country while carrying a rucksack with a minimum of 50 pounds. The SFAS program requires upper and lower body strength and physical endurance to accomplish daily physical-oriented goals on a continuous basis for 24 days. Below is a recommended 5-week physical training (PT) program consisting of realistic physical and mental goals relative to physical requirements set by the USAJFKSWCS SFAS committee (if you have time, work out more than 5 weeks prior to arrival). You should be able to start this before you leave for OSUT.

Stages of physical fitness.
Attaining physical fitness is not an overnight process; the body must go through three stages:

a. The first is the toughening stage, which lasts about 2 weeks. During this time the body goes through a soreness and recovery period. When a muscle with poor blood supply (such as a weak muscle) is exercised, the waste products produced by the exercise collect faster than the blood can remove them. This acid waste builds up in the muscle tissue and irritates the nerve in the muscle fiber causing soreness. As the exercise continues, the body is able to circulate the blood more rapidly through the muscles and remove the waste material, which causes soreness to disappear.

b. The slow improvement stage is second stage in attaining physical fitness. As the body passes through the toughening stage and continues into the slow improvement stage, the volume of blood circulating in the muscle increases and the body functions more efficiently. In the first few weeks the improvement is rapid, but as a higher level of skill and conditioning is reached, the improvement becomes less noticeable. The body reaches its maximum level of performance between 6 and 10 weeks. The intensity of the program and individual differences account for the variance in time.

c. The sustaining stage is the third stage during which physical fitness is maintained. It is necessary to continue exercising at approximately the same intensity to retain the condition developed.

Physical workouts.
Physical workouts should be conducted a minimum of 4 days a week; work out hard one day, easy the next. A hard and easy workout concept will allow maximum effort for overloading both the muscle groups and cardiorespiratory system; it will also prevent injury and stagnation in the program. For example: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday--Hard workouts (over-loading of muscles) (Saturday used for extra long workouts). Sunday, Tuesday, and Thursday--Easy workouts. This is the time to practice swimming and work on overall fitness; sprints, pull-ups, push-ups, and especially stretching.
Prior to each workout, 10 to 15 minutes should be devoted to performing stretching exercises. Additionally, the USAJFKSWCS Surgeon recommends a well-balanced diet be incorporated with this recommended PT program and that daily fluid (water) intake be increased.

Week 1: (Only hard workout days are listed here. Make up your own workouts on your "easy" days.)

Day 1: See what you can do. Do the best you can do.
(a) APFT (maximum performance in all events, see what you can do).
(b) One hundred-meter swim (nonstop, any stroke, do not touch the side or bottom of the pool).
(c) Force march with 30-pound rucksack, 3 miles in 45 minutes (along road) or 1 hour if cross-country. (Wear well broken-in boots with thick socks.)
Day 2:
(a) Three sets of push-ups (maximum repetitions in one-half minute period).
(b) 3-mile run (moderate 8 to 9 minute mile pace).
(c) Rope climb or three sets of pull-ups (as many as you can do).
(d) Forced march with 30-pound rucksack, 5 miles in 1 hour and 15 minutes (along a road) or 1 hour and 40 minutes (cross-country).
Day 3: Forced march with 30-pound rucksack, 5 miles in 1 hour and 15 minutes (along the road) or 1 hour and 40 minutes (cross-country).

Week 2:

Day 1: Repeat of day 3, week 1 (forced march), extend distance to 8 miles with 35-pound rucksack in 2 hours (along a road) or 2 hours and 40 minutes (cross-country).
Day 2:
(a) Three sets of push-ups, pull-ups, sit-ups (maximum repetitions in 35-second period three times).
(b) Run 5 miles (moderate 8 to 9 minute mile pace).
(c) Three sets of squats with 35-pound rucksack (50 each set). Go down only to the point where the upper and lower leg forms a 90-degree bend at knee.
Day 3: Forced march with 35-pound rucksack, 10 miles in 3 hours (along a road) or 4 hours (cross-country).

Week 3:

Day 1:
(a) Four sets of push-ups, pull-ups, and sit-ups (maximum repetitions in 40-second period).
(b) Run 4 miles (fast to moderate 7 to 8 minute mile pace.)
(c) Four sets of squats with 40-pound rucksack.
Day 2: Forced march 12 miles with 40-pound rucksack in 4 hours (along a road) or 4 hours and 40 minutes (cross-country).
Day 3:
(a) Four sets of push-ups, sit-ups, pull-ups (maximum repetitions in 45-second period.)
(b) Run 6 miles (fast to moderate 7 to 8 minute pace).
(c) Four sets of squats with 40-pound rucksack.

Week 4:

Day 1: Forced march 14 miles with 50-pound rucksack in 4 hours (along a road) or 4 hours and 40 minutes (cross-country).
Day 2:
(a) Four sets of push-ups, sit-ups, and pull-ups(maximum repetitions in 1-minute period).
(b) Run 6 miles (fast to moderate 7 to 8 minute mile pace).
(c) Four sets of squats with 50-pound rucksack.
Day 3: Forced march 18 miles with 50-pound rucksack in 4 hours and 45 minutes (along a road) or 6 hours (cross-country).

Week 5:

Day 1:
(a) Run 3 miles (fast 6 to 7 minute mile pace).
(b) Five hundred-meter swim (nonstop, any stroke, but not on your back).
Day 2: APFT. You should be able to achieve a score of at least 240 (minimum of 70 points in any one event) in the 17 to 21 year age limit. If not, workout harder.
Day 3: Forced march 18 miles with 50-pound rucksack in 4 hours and 30 minutes (along a road) or 6 hours (cross-country).

Considerations.

a. For forced marches, select boots that are comfortable and well broken-in (not worn out). Wear lightweight fatigues and thick socks (not newly issued socks). Army issue boots are excellent if fitted properly.
b. Utilize map and compass techniques whenever possible during forced march cross-country workouts.
c. Insoles specifically designed to absorb shock will reduce injuries.
d. Practice proper rucksack marching and walking techniques:
(1) Weight of body must be kept directly over feet, and sole of shoe must be flat on ground taking small steps at a steady pace.
(2) Knees must be locked on every step in order to rest muscles of the legs (especially when going uphill).
(3) When walking cross-country, step over and around obstacles; never step on them.
(4) When traveling up steep slopes, always traverse them; climb in zigzag pattern rather than straight up.
(5) When descending steep slopes, keep the back straight and knees bent to take up shock of each step. Dig in with heels on each step.
(6) Practice walking as fast as you can with rucksack. Do not run with a rucksack. When testing, you may have to trot to maintain time, but try not to do this during training, it may injure you.
(7) A good rucksack pace is accomplished by continuous movement with short breaks (5 minutes) every 6 to 8 miles.
(8) If you cannot ruckmarch, then do squats with your rucksack. (One hundred repetitions, five times or until muscle fatigues.)
e. On each day (not listed in training program) conduct less strenuous workouts such as biking and short or slow runs. To compliment push-up workouts, weight lifting exercises should be included (for development of upper body strength) in easy day workout schedule. Swim as often as you can (500 meters or more).
f. Once a high level of physical fitness is attained, a maintenance workout program should be applied using the hard and easy workout concept. Once in shape, stay in shape. Do not stop this 5-week program. If you have met all the goals, then modify program by increasing distance and weight and decreasing times. Be smart, don't injure yourself.

Final notes.

a. Do not expect to get "free" time from your unit to work out so you can come to SFAS. The responsibility to get in shape is yours and yours alone. Work out on your own time if that is all you have. If you go to the field, work on strengthening drills: Push-ups, sit-ups, pull-ups, squats (with extra weight) when you can, as often as you can. The mission is to get in shape.
b. Eat things that are good for you and stay away from junk food and fat foods.
c. You need to be in very good shape and able to carry a rucksack day after day for the entire time you are at SFAS. This is an assessment of you. We do not teach or coach you to get through SFAS. You will be challenged.
d. ARI evaluated the ability of SFAS students to perform a 4-mile ruckmarch in battle dress uniform (BDU), boots, M-16, load bearing equipment, and a 45-pound rucksack. The overall average 4-mile ruckmarch time for graduates is 61 minutes. The average PT results are depicted below:
Ruckmarch Time (Min) Percent Passing Course
54 and less 81
55-64 63
65-74 34
75-84 10
The less time to complete a 4-mile ruckmarch, the better the percent who passed the course. The Soldiers who prepare for SFAS through PT should succeed at SFAS.
[/b]

okay.....thanks I havent technically enlisted yet but im doing a year of college first(under my dads request) so i will enlist probably this summer to leave for next summer...i appreciate the info...

Greenie said:
okay.....thanks I havent technically enlisted yet but im doing a year of college first(under my dads request) so i will enlist probably this summer to leave for next summer...i appreciate the info...
let me tell you now; whatever the recruiter said, take it with a grain of salt. Until you sign that contract, you are not gaurangeed that 18X slot, so be prepared for anything.

If it's not written down, you don't have it, period. There is no such thing as a verbal contract with a recruiter. Also, they may try a bait and switch at MEPS, giving you some BS reason that you can't have what you want, and trying to railroad you into whatever MOS they need to fill a quota. Don't settle for anything less than what you want.

Or you can do what I did and sign every piece of paper the AG Sergeant throws at you because you want to be in the military so badly you don't care what branch. :lol:
Luckily for me the Sergeant I deal with is a very good and responsible soldier, and didn't take advantage of my naivety and waited until I had calmed down and gotten serious before we started making any definite plans. But from the stories I hear from my friends who have enlisted, this is the exception rather than the rule, so like the others have said, hold out for what you want, and make sure it really is what you want.

I know it's a lot different now, but in Vietnam, my Dad (who was USAF) was in a room full of draftees and recruits and this man in civvies walks in and asks, "Who here wants to be in the Navy?"
Since the Navy was supposed to be the safest duty, half the room stands up and this man takes down their names and then says, "Welcome to the Naval Infantry, boys!" and walks out, having gotten twenty something new Marine volunteers. :lol:

Jamoni said:
If it's not written down, you don't have it, period. There is no such thing as a verbal contract with a recruiter. Also, they may try a bait and switch at MEPS, giving you some BS reason that you can't have what you want, and trying to railroad you into whatever MOS they need to fill a quota. Don't settle for anything less than what you want.

That happened to my bro, he wanted to be a Blackhawk mechanic and he thought he had everything made and fine, but he got to MEPS and ended up as a tracked vehicle repairman. :?

Haha...really?thats pretty funny...yeah i dont plan on settling for anything less than i want which is exactly why i want to do this like a year in advance so i have a greater possibility to get a training seat...

18X isn't that difficult to get, if you have common sense and are of average intelligence. It's making it in the pipeline that is the killer. Most wash out during SOPC and SFAS .. the rest are dropped from the Q. And that one that may accasionally slip by, usually gets it at BMLC or SERE.

Heed Jamoni's advice about the contract. If your scores are well enough that you qualify for what you are after, do not settle for anything else. Walk out if they give you the run around. See another recruiter, but most of the time .. they will call you back in and miraculously find you a slot.

they tried to do that to me. i went to meps early in the morning and didn't get out of there until after 1700 and swore in by myself because they were telling me they couldn't get me what i wanted and i said no and they tried to get me other jobs throwing in jobs with bonuses. the thing is you just might get put on delayed entry for a while. but do know that once you are in the army they can make you do whatever. they call it cross-training and some mos's will work very closely with others and you will take on each others roles when needed.

Back