What Branch Should I Go In?

MarchingBandGuy

Hello All~

Ok well first of all i'm still in high school but I am planning to go talk to a recruiter this summer. Ok on to the Questions ...

Ok I'm planning to go into translation .. so what should I join Navy or what? Then .. I'm only fluent in English , French and German ... and can carry on a conversation in Russian and Japanese but i'm not really fluent in them.. so will they teach me the rest of the language? And college .. if they pay for your college and teach there .. then is it all military based or do you chose your classes or how does that work?

Thanks~~ Travis

Although all branches can make use of an interpretor, I would guess that the Navy and the Air Force could make best use of the languages you've listed. Probably most particularly the Navy. Knowing Russian is of course quite valuable to them. If you can carry on a conversation now, I'm sure they would teach you the rest in their schools.

Then join the Air Force. The best branch for you is the one that appeals to you the most. You will give the best service to those you feel the most for. The Air Force's needs for translators is every bit as much as the Navy's. I was just suggesting that due to your knowledge of Russian.

The same goes for me. I am fluent in Russian, but I am learning Serbo-Croatian aswell. I don't know how much use that will be

All of these pend upon personal preferences. I could sit here and tell each of you that the best place to go would be the Marines, someone that has been in the Army would tell you to join that. The only way for you to make a good, solid choice on this would be to go and talk to a recruiter from each branch and see what each has to off YOU, then make a choice that best fits what YOU are lookin for.

Sooners1 said:
All of these pend upon personal preferences. I could sit here and tell each of you that the best place to go would be the Marines, someone that has been in the Army would tell you to join that. The only way for you to make a good, solid choice on this would be to go and talk to a recruiter from each branch and see what each has to off YOU, then make a choice that best fits what YOU are lookin for.
I couldn't agree more. You should join whatever branch appeals to YOU the most. For me it was the Air Force. (NO, I was not a pilot :lol: ) You may want to see who will offer the best in the way of schooling. My brother-in-law went to Wayne State University (Michigan) for 4yrs did his internship and is currently a Capt. with the Air Force station at Scott AFB. All of his school was paid for by the Air Force. Think long and hard BEFORE you decide.

and another thing you need to do for sure is make sure ANYTHING that your recruiter tells/promises you, you need to get it in writing. because if you don't and you get to where ever your basic training is you WILL get screwed out of it if it is not in writing. the reason i say this is because i just got back from Recruit Training for the USMC and there were guys in my platoon that got screwed out of promotions and money and crap like that so get it in writing!!!

Ya I'm a freshman and I'm pretty sure that i want to go in the service. I'm currently in that Civil Air Patrol the youth group in the air force as a Master Sergeant. I think ill either go in the Air Force or the USMC. I'm going to talk to recruiters. There is a station right near me. I either want to be a piolet or an MP. Since there are pilots in bother the AF and USMC i could be in both. Ill look in every branch and see whats good for me :rambo:

If you want to be an MP, do it in the Army.

They can get your more on your contract and you can even be Airborne with that MOS!

hicks said:
If you want to be an MP, do it in the Army.

They can get your more on your contract and you can even be Airborne with that MOS!

Ya I probably could but I personaly like the Marines better than the other branches. A lot better than the Army
No offense to you Army guys or anybody else

I suggest you talk to recruiters from the branches you like. Next, do not make your decision until you have talked with everyone. Tell them what you would like to do and make sure you get it in writing. Remember, while you are talking to a recruiter, you hold the upper hand, you are NOT in the military and do not be afraid to get up and walk out if you do not hear the things you want to.

Good luck!!!!

Language Training

One word of warning - Just "knowing" the languages you say you know won't guarantee you'll be placed in a language-use MOS or rating. Virtually all of those positions require a security clearance, and an extensive background check. Be prepared to have your friends and family politely harrassed by military intellegence investigators regarding your personal history and habits, etc.

Additionally, as a two-time graduate of the Defense Language Institute, I have seen some absolute rock-heads who were willing to put forth the effort graduate from the hardest language courses, and I have seen some supposed "native speakers" who grew up with the language spoken in their home who did not have the discipline or ability to learn the technical points of the language, and therefore "washed out" of DLI.

It's not easy. But it is worthwhile.

Back