What Is A Billion ?

tomtom22

Chief Engineer
A Billion!!!!! Here's some thought provoking information -

The next time you hear a politician use the word "billion" in a casual
manner, think about whether you want the "politicians" spending your tax money.

A billion is a difficult number to comprehend, but one advertising
agency did a good job of putting that figure into some perspective in one of its releases.

a.. A billion seconds ago it was 1959.

b.. A billion minutes ago Jesus was alive.

c.. A billion hours ago our ancestors were living in the Stone Age.

d.. A billion days ago no-one walked on the earth on two feet.

e.. A billion dollars ago was only 8 hours and 20 minutes, at the rate
our government is spending it.

While this thought is still fresh in our brain, let's take a look at New Orleans - It's amazing what you can learn with some simple division.
Louisiana Senator, Mary Landrieu (D), is presently asking the Congress for $250 BILLION to rebuild New Orleans.

Interesting number, what does it mean?

Well, if you are one of 484,674 residents of New Orleans (every man, woman, child), you each get $516, 528.

Or, if you have one of the 188,251 homes in New Orleans, your home gets $1, 329,787

Or, if you are a family of four, your family gets $2,066,012.

Washington, D.C. !!!.......................Are all your calculators broken????

:-x :-x :-x :-x

Nothing against New Orleans or its people.
I'm just pissed off in general about politicians spending my tax money. I am retired living on a fixed income and these dumbasses are spending like there is no tomorrow!

Gotcha.

One must understand that it is not just the families getting the monies, it is also all the businesses and industries as well. Not to mention the "skilled" labor that will go into the rebuilding and such.

Then again, many had insurance, why not spend that money towards a sea wall. Hmm...too much common sense I suppose.

hmmmm lets see. Out of that $250 billion, $25 billion will get lost to outright fraud. If companies can loose Billions in Iraq, I am sure they will find ways to loose billions in this package too. Then there will be another few billion lost in no bid contracts or contracters who overcharge. That never happens on our government today! Some of the remanding billions will be awarded to companies as far away as Alaska that could have been awarded to local companies. If I remember the recent news on this, Texas and Florida have gotten more billions to rebuil Louisiana then Louisiana itself. Lets not forget about billions being spent on contracts we do not need likethose useless FEMA trailors...I would say with all the government waste that has become a staple part of standard operating proceedure for the government, the $250 billion figure must be reduced.

How about them billions:bang:

I couldn't disagree more .....l

Marinerhodes said:
Gotcha.

One must understand that it is not just the families getting the monies, it is also all the businesses and industries as well. Not to mention the "skilled" labor that will go into the rebuilding and such.

Then again, many had insurance, why not spend that money towards a sea wall. Hmm...too much common sense I suppose.
I couldn't disagree more ... when you're on fixed income and trying to make ends meet (even to holding down two jobs), when you see the government spending money like there is no tomorrow ... if you aren't upset (or downright mad), then there is something wrong with you.

As far as the sea wall comment, the money that was sent to New Orleans to build up the sea walls and dikes was NOT all spent to build up the walls and dikes. Part of the money was spent on other projects.

I don't know about the rest of you ... but ... I am getting downright angry about people expecting the government to bail them out from a natural disaster when they were aware that the area they lived in was due for that disaster to occur sometime in the near future. Whether it is living in 'tornado alley' (or) along earthquake faults (or) in a flood plain, the people that live in those areas have a very difficult time getting insurance to cover those natural disasters for a reason ... and ... it has NOTHING to do with the Bible. Nature has historically chosen those particular sites to act up and generally tear the h*ll out of the neighborhood.

Don't get me wrong, if I were one of those people I guess I would also look to the government to give me a hand up ... the ONLY difference is that I would be looking for a low interest loan instead of a hand out. Not being old enough for Social Security ... but ... having to make ends meet is no fun, but there is no d*mn way I would even consider taking a handout ... I have worked at jobs earning money since I was 7 years old and was working in the field harvesting hay.

The prevailing viewpoint seems to be one that states the government owes you protection from the cradle to the grave.

I have a suspicion that this money doesn't even actually exist! Bureaucrats just sign a paper that says they just created 1 billion dollars! This paper just switches hands and all the involved pray they never have to make this paper into "real" money... because it's not there!! Major economics is just a question of believing. As long as most people believe the US is the biggest economy, well goshdarnet, it's the biggest economy.

Back