What is the best eastern-block tank?

HindStrike

I know that against western tanks they come up short, but this thread is to see which eastern-block tank(Russia and Eastern Europe) is the best when compared to other eastern-block tanks. This can be any tank or variant/development of a tank from the eastern block. So now, you may begin.

Last edited:
Personally I like the T-84 Yatagan. It has a western style turret, 120mm smoothbore gun that can fire m829 du penetrators, Knife-2 era thats twice as effective as k-5, and a bustle mounted autoloader that keeps ammo in blow-out panels away from the crew.

Just out of interest, how easy were these tanks to produce? I'm just thinking along the line of thought the Allies may have accidentally done during WWII. My train of thought being, during WWII the Sherman was obviously no match for the Panzer tanks ect, there is even a famous quote by an American I think who said that Panzer (or Tiger) could knock a Sherman out with one shot from 2000 yards but a Sherman would struggle to that to the Panzer from 2 meters. The only reason why the Sherman came out trumps was that they very much out-produced the German's Panzers, for every Sherman taken out I think another 10 would come off the production line.

So this is what I'm thinking. The Communists obviously weren't stupid when it came to military technology, especially the Russians who had (arguably) the best tank technology during WWII. So they couldn't possibly produce an outright worst tank than the Western world, so maybe they went for the 'WWII' logic and created a rather good tank that could be easily produced in vast numbers quickly. Just a thought.

I didn't doubt that they were good tanks, they were just designed differently with a different doctrine at mind. Western tanks were designed differently so eastern and western tanks are not comparable. The purpose of this thread was to see what eastern-block tank they thought was best when compared to other eastern block tanks.

I didn't doubt that they were good tanks, they were just designed differently with a different doctrine at mind. Western tanks were designed differently so eastern and western tanks are not comparable. The purpose of this thread was to see what eastern-block tank they thought was best when compared to other eastern block tanks.

I know, and I was suggesting maybe if one of these eastern block tanks could be mass produced better than the others that might give it an advantage. I probably didn't make myself entirely clear in my last post.

I see what you mean now. Though initially I wanted to know which tank you thought was best in 1v1 combat against another eastern-block tank.

Back