What are the benefits of having an automatic loader?

--

October 25th, 2004  
texasrebel211

Topic: What are the benefits of having an automatic loader?

I personally really can't see any other than having on less person having to be on the tank. But then that is also one less person to do repiars and the such after battle. Also, a trained loader can always load faster than an automatic. LOL but hey, the ruskies usually don't make sense.
October 26th, 2004  
A Can of Man

It just means that your tank will have 1 less crew member.
This is practical if you are expecting your side to sustain a lot of losses.
October 27th, 2004  
Mark Conley

it gives the builder one more item to charge for...

on the serious side..makes the tank easier to eqquip for remote or humanless operation
--
October 27th, 2004  
SHERMAN

makes iteasier for your opponent to blast you to heck...no a good thing, but a main one....
October 27th, 2004  
Kozzy Mozzy

Personal costs. Russia is a good example. It had a huge number of tanks and cutting that one extra crewmen is a wonderful way to cut costs.

Less space. Auto-loaders take up less space then a human, allowing for the tank to be smaller and more armor in place
October 27th, 2004  
texasrebel211

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kozzy Mozzy
Personal costs. Russia is a good example. It had a huge number of tanks and cutting that one extra crewmen is a wonderful way to cut costs.

Less space. Auto-loaders take up less space then a human, allowing for the tank to be smaller and more armor in place
lol yup but russians didn't have armor in some places they should have cough fuel tanks cough
October 28th, 2004  
CavScout

I agree that the only one true assest would be...one less crewman and more room for ammo.
October 29th, 2004  
egoz

it also makes for one more thing to fail in a combat situation.[/i]
October 29th, 2004  
CavScout

Quote:
Originally Posted by egoz
it also makes for one more thing to fail in a combat situation.[/i]
Exactly, with a crew of 2, what happens when you lose 1 more...you either gun or drive, take your pick but not both.
October 31st, 2004  
Doppleganger

Quote:
Originally Posted by CavScout
I agree that the only one true assest would be...one less crewman and more room for ammo.
Because of that Soviet tanks always did carry a bit more ammo than their NATO equivalents. Also, in the event of a European conventional war, I believe the Soviets had thousands of obsolete T-55's and T-10's that they were going to use as strategic reserves so having 3 crew members per tank would definately have helped out there.

Those T-10 tanks were pretty formidable for the time and worried the hell outa NATO Commanders, possibly even as much as the (at the time) current T-72s.