What Antivirus do you use?

senojekips

I have just changed over my brand of Antivirus, from "Norton 2006" to "Bit Defender" (It came bundled) so far both seem to work very well.

I would like to hear what others have installed, and their opinions of both their current program and/or programs which they may have tried previously.

People always told me to get rid of Norton because it was too intrusive and heavy on resources. So far i find that Bit Defender seems worse in this respect, (there is a noticeable slowdown in Internet activity) but I have only had it installed for two weeks, so I'll wait a while.

I'd like to hear what you have to say.

I use Spy Sweeper, Symantec Anti-Virus, and a free download of Spybot Search & Destroy.

I just have regular old Spy Sweeper, none of the anti-virus that can be bought with it. That is the one I use regularly to sweep my computer. Once a month (if that even) I'll run Spybot and Symantec. Several months ago I was having a ton of crap showing up on my sweeps and I tweaked a few thing on my 'net options and rarely now do I ever have anything show on my sweeps.

It doesn't pay to run through the internet bare-naked. :D

Mixture

I'm a computer tech by trade and work at a school 1,800 PCs and 8 servers and we use:
Norton Corporate
Windows Defender
Spybot

Haven't lost a PC to spyware in a long time using this trio. The Norton's corporate updates itself and pushes out new codes which helps.

I used to swear by Norton, until I installed NOD 32 trial and found 15 time dated viruses in my system restore files that Norton didn't find. Now I swear by NOD32
So far in the 2 years I've used it it doesn't take viruses off the computer, it stops them dead in their track BEFORE they get on the computer. I've even been to the cotdc and walked away clean :)

Windows Defender and Vista Firewall, and one that came with my computer...cant think of the name but its one that dell uses...dont really care for it but its paid for the next four years.

BitDefender has been rated the best for the past 2 years by PC Magazine. Its what I use. Its also very cheap considering what McAfee and Norton charge for the same package.

Currently I am using Bit Defender as a replacement for AVG, I tried NOD32 but it just felt a bit clumsy.

Windows Defender and Vista Firewall, and one that came with my computer...cant think of the name but its one that dell uses...dont really care for it but its paid for the next four years.

I don't know what A/V came with your computer, but I can say this about windows firewall and defender, those 2 programs suck swampwater through a straw on Sunday. I'm serious neither of those stop squat.
If you want a descent firewall ( its free BTW) goggle Sygate personal firewall I think they still let you have it free. BUT for spyware and adware, a good free one is Super Anti Spyware, I've had it for about 6 month snow and I uninstalled AD Ware SE pro because of it, Super Anti Spyware works better than most of the ones I've tried, and trust me I've been on the net since the first virus, ad, and tracking cookie.

Disable

We disable windows firewall I agree useless. Now that you mentioned Windows Defender I uninstall it from 16 library computers because this other software called fortress we use came up with error messages. Before redoing them I thought of the last two programs I added, Adobe reader I think 8.1 and Windows Defender. After taking it off no more errors I just started a school wide removal. Sixteen computers was enough for me I use fortress on three quarters of my PC's it's a program that won't let the kids mess with the operating system and takes away the mighty right click. A friend in the field told me Windows Defender and Norton's clash I'm not a 100% sure on that. The school bought a Norton's contract and a fortress contract so I no choice so Windows Defender goes. I'm getting "I saw that error before" from 3 schools now, but that's a another story. Its a user error 90% of time or more teachers do more harm then kids too, go figure

I don't know what A/V came with your computer, but I can say this about windows firewall and defender, those 2 programs suck swampwater through a straw on Sunday. I'm serious neither of those stop squat.
If you want a descent firewall ( its free BTW) goggle Sygate personal firewall I think they still let you have it free. BUT for spyware and adware, a good free one is Super Anti Spyware, I've had it for about 6 month snow and I uninstalled AD Ware SE pro because of it, Super Anti Spyware works better than most of the ones I've tried, and trust me I've been on the net since the first virus, ad, and tracking cookie.

hmm ill have to check that out...thanks...

Most of the pop up removers don't work with vista yet.
but if you have vista, you have my condolences :)

After all of my trials and tribulations, I took the advice of Infern0 and tried Avast, ( A Freebie) I've been using it now for 18 months and find it to be excellent.

Back