What Antivirus do you use?

well I might say ZenOK Free Antivirus and common sense works for me.
Other progs include ZA Pro, Adaware Pro and Spybot 1.3.

Last edited by a moderator:
When looking for a replacement for Norton several years ago, I also tried Kaspersky, and I feel that it was at least as good and not as intrusive as BitDefender, but after trying several others, including freebies, I finally settled for Avast as it seems to work well and is completely unobtrusive on older machines, except for regular (daily) messages that the virus database has been updated.

I have since switched from AVAST as it missed several nasties via email that took down a PC, I am now trying a commercial package (aka paid for) from PCTools called "PCTools Internet Security" which incorporates spyware removal, virus checker, firewall, email scanning etc.

It received good reviews from around the net (it has its bad points as well) and on the whole it seems to be doing its job, the biggest selling points for me were that it is very simple to set up and maintain and does not appear to be a resource hog (although that will come now that PCTools is owned by Symantec).

Hmmmm,... I am using Avast at the moment. I am in somewhat of a quandary, as I have tried several other AV programs recently and it seems to be a tradeoff wherever I turn. It's either take a slight degree of risk or load up my 'puta with some resource hogging monster that wants to take over.

Of all I have tried, and that is a considerable number so far, I have found Norton to be best at Virus spyware detection and prevention and Kaspersky to be the best in regard to resource hogging Vs risk, but not sufficiently so, to warrant paying for it. (My Jewish/Scottish heritage has kicked in)

I am prepared to run a small degree of risk as I believe that this is present in all AV software due to the number of new viruses always coming online. So far I have been lucky Iguess not having had a virus in many years, but I do have some problems with Malware because of sites that I visit in my search for free software. Fortunately, they are usually no more than a nuisance, and once detected, easily removed with such software as Ad Aware, Spybot or Scan Spyware.

Never the less, it's an interesting and on going business

Last edited:
Yeah I think my mistake was to go with the Internet security version and not the virus/spyware version, the Internet security one has both virus, spyware plus a ton of other functions when in reality I just needed virus and spyware protection.

It certainly doesn't hog the system and outside a 20-40 second delay in the internet connecting while it does a memory and rootkit scan you barely notice that it is there at all.

In all I did not feel $30 (NZ) to cover 3 computers for 12 months all that expensive.

True, it is not expensive, especially when compared with the grief that it can save you. I guess I'm just a "miserable" risk taker.

I've been using BitDefender for these past 3 years I think, but before that I've been using Avast and AVG, whatever I manage to install first.

I'm running AVG free version, Microsoft Security Essentials, Windows Defender, and Emsisoft Anti-Malware, haven't had any problems with this setup.

Hmmmm,... I am using Avast at the moment. I am in somewhat of a quandary, as I have tried several other AV programs recently and it seems to be a tradeoff wherever I turn. It's either take a slight degree of risk or load up my 'puta with some resource hogging monster that wants to take over.

Of all I have tried, and that is a considerable number so far, I have found Norton to be best at Virus spyware detection and prevention and Kaspersky to be the best in regard to resource hogging Vs risk, but not sufficiently so, to warrant paying for it. (My Jewish/Scottish heritage has kicked in)

I am prepared to run a small degree of risk as I believe that this is present in all AV software due to the number of new viruses always coming online. So far I have been lucky Iguess not having had a virus in many years, but I do have some problems with Malware because of sites that I visit in my search for free software. Fortunately, they are usually no more than a nuisance, and once detected, easily removed with such software as Ad Aware, Spybot or Scan Spyware.

Never the less, it's an interesting and on going business

I also run Avast, I have tried AVG and a few others which quite frankly didn't work. One thing I like about Avast is the boot scan, its caught a few virus's.

I use Microsoft Security Essentials, it's pretty good for a freebie. ;)

I know a number of people that run that one and have had no problems with it.

Currently I am running both PCTools internet security and Norton 360 on different computers and I really liked Norton 360 v5.0 but v6.0 is a pain in the butt they have taken something that worked in v5.0 and made it slower, larger and more intrusive in v6.0.

However the one thing I like about Norton over the others is that it takes out tracking cookies as a routine function.

I'm still running Avast, and must say that I think it is the one that I have stuck with for the longest, that I can remember.

I've had no viruses for years, and it's caught several Trojans in software I have down loaded, so for a man of simple tastes,... it will do me for the moment.

I've hijacked Lunatik's computer and at the moment he is running around naked.

I found this out yesterday when I got a pretty nasty friend on the computer. I was able to download Spybot Search and Destroy and I cleaned his computer of 169 threats, up to level 5 threats at that.

For a guy that is so computer savvy sometimes I wonder....

ETA: I am going to download Avast on his computer. I agree with you seno, it's a very good anti-virus.

I am not running any antivirus software at all.
I run Ubuntu and a lot of them I cannot configure without a lot
of pre modification to work on linux

Present am using kaspersky, before that it was quick heal. however m not a big fan of Norton it makes PC run slow.

Back