What about the t-95?

Unless Russia uses those colossal natural gas, coal and oil reserves to it's advantage, it's staying in that economic slump. For a industrialized nation, Russia has a huge amount of resources, the problem is that most of these resources are in Siberia, which makes extraction difficult. Even though Russia has the most Natural gas of any nation on the planet, it doesn't matter if getting to it is a large hassle. If they can make use of their resources, they could start to reach their former glory, or at least some of it.

But yes, the T-95 is really nothing more than a concept at this point.

Hi there all,

Well, if this comes off, guess you will get more than just pictures, as evidence of the existance of the T-95, refer URL included below, along with an extract from the text.
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]http://www.defpro.com/news/details/14065/ [/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]"06:51 GMT, March 26, 2010 MOSCOW Russia's new main battle tank (MBT), the T-95, could be exhibited for the first time at an arms show in the Urals Region this summer, the developer and future manufacturer of the tank has said, according to RIA Novosti.

The development of the new tank dubbed "Item 195" began at the Uralvagonzavod design bureau in the early 1990s. Russia will become the first country in the world to have the 5th-generartion MBT if the military commissions the vehicle.

The work on the project has been conducted for many years. If the government gives us a 'green light' we will exhibit the tank at the [Russian Expo Arms 2010] arms show in Nizhny Tagil this summer," general director of the Uralvagonzavod plant Oleg Siyenko told RIA Novosti in an exclusive interview".
[/FONT]
Wouldn't it really throw you, if this 5th generation MBT is actually demonstrated in it's full Combat Robotic configuration, paired with and controlled from an Attack Helicopter. As the first of the T-95 were reported as deployed to training units in the last quarter of 2009, they've certainly had enough time to iron out any operational bugs in this format, and demonstrating the T-95 in the robotic role would overwhelm any arguements about it's superiority over any other MBT in existance or currently under development.

NERO

As the first of the T-95 were reported as deployed to training units in the last quarter of 2009, they've certainly had enough time to iron out any operational bugs in this format
Deployed to units? That information is really controversial, especially against deputy defence minister's last month statement that the project had been cancelled.

Hi there all,
As the first of the T-95 were reported as deployed to training units in the last quarter of 2009, they've certainly had enough time to iron out any operational bugs in this format, and demonstrating the T-95 in the robotic role would overwhelm any arguements about it's superiority over any other MBT in existance or currently under development.
Dude the T-95 were reported? Are you on crack or something? The tank didnt even leave the drawing board, there's a few plywood models and thats it...

The article you quoted does not support your made up stories sorry, this kind of articles have been out and around for umpteen years now claiming T-95 is just around the corner and is going to have this or that, well its been 10 years now.

The prototype was announced in 2000, now its 2010 and there's not even a technology demonstrator let alone a prototype.

Stop making stuff up, go read up and return with facts.

OK folks. time has always been on my side in the matter of the T-95, you might like to take a look at the article and photos at the following URL http://sovietoutpost.revdisk.org/?p=21
and then drop down to the last question and the response. Purposefully, I used both my full name and my usual identity when posting to a forum, just to see what the reaction would be. It was interesting, initially, the question stayed on the forum for little more than a day, with a notice, pending response from the moderator, then the question was removed from the forum and was only put back when they posted the answer. Fellas, I really don't care to much what you think about all this at this point, look closely at this engine and consider that response. Another webpage I've read clearly states the two engines that did the 1700 hours were in the two T-95 pre-production units; I must assume these are the two units that went to the high security proving grounds in central Russia for refinement of operational procedures, etc. I'm not going to do everything for you, you can go find the other Russian webpages yourself and independently confirm what I've written here. I suggest you people re-read everything I previously wrote in this forum and reconsider this matter. Incidentally, despite what you may have heard or may think, the T-95 is very much alive and well, it has simply had a name change and is now referred to as Armata and fellas, there is a lot more about this MBT and associated systems, to be told, but why bother, you all know so much better than I what is happening. After all, my involvement was nothing greater than simply inventing the engine and defining the form of the various automotive aspects and suggesting the combat scenarios for the MBT's use. When you look at that engine, just remember the often limiting factor in large scale operations is logistical support and the very thirsty nature of MBT engines, then remember, this engine uses less than 33% of the fuel of a contemporary diesel. Then think again about this, Russia now has a technical lead of 16 years in developing these power plants and sorry folks, you haven't even started to play this game.
nero1234

Unless Russia is willing to build up its economy focusing on its secondary and tertiary industries, it will not be able to build anything new. Its Air Force, Army and Navy had shrunk much compared to back then. Most of the aircrafts, ships and tanks already disassembled and stowed in storage for use when necessary.

T-95 supposed to be replacement for obsolete T72/80/90 but due to financial issue, the plan was scrapped and rely on upgrading T-72 into T-90 and BMP-2 into BMP-3 that could barely hold off against the modern counterparts M-1A2, Challenger 2, Leclerc and Leopard 2. War experience has proven, the modern IFV will have to be heavily armored and armed with proper gun and few automated MG like Namer IFV to survive insurgents attack.They don't have much choice, unless they are willing to change and compete in economy globally to get into top10 highest GDP nation.

hunnicuttfirepower1615bf.jpg

let us not forget the *Atomic* tank.......

Don't think for a minute the T-95 is dead

Oh come on fellas.
Surely somebody can do better than these two posts in response. What happened to all those people who were so willing to doubt and ridicule? I remember somebody wanted a photo of one of these engines before he'd take this matter seriously. Well, it's always a bit hard to get something like that when the whole program remains classified and I was staggered when the article with the photos of the original prototypes turned up, along with a couple of other articles on the T-95.
I don't know where some of you people get your info, but you should be aware, Mr Putin moved to acquire "Mistral" Class Landing Assault Ships from France, at a price in the $ billions, because the Russian Naval ship builders were running at full capacity and would be for the foreseeable future.
I suppose you are aware the "Amarta" program, which is a common armoured format, has been broadened to now also have a follow on component that is a common wheeled platform as well?
You're right about reduced numbers; under Putin, Russia's military is no longer "the Army of Good Enough"; it's going high tech, quality not quantity is now the name of the game..
nero1234

Well here is my problem with the T-95.
1) It has been "rumoured" for at least the last 10 years it is just dragging on and now falls into the category of believe it when I see it.

2) We are constantly fed the line about the next great Russian weapon as a challenge for whatever the best western counterpart is yet every time you see it on a battlefield it is a smoldering ruin, Russia needs to prove that this isn't just another backward bit of kit that it is over-hyping.

3) The history of the last 50 years shows Russian armour to be lacking in quality optics and fire control gear but producing above average guns the problem with this is that if you can not see and target your opposition as well as he can then the best gun in the world wont stop you becoming toast.

So while I have no doubt that the Russians can produce a competitive MBT I have grave doubts that they can do it with an indigenous design and supply chain.

As for Putin's comment well I hate to break it to him but Russia's military of recent years could never be described as "the army of good enough" and I can't see how providing low tech troops with high tech gear is going to help much.

First Time I Ever Had To Think Of Tankers As (Sp)Rocket Scientists

Hi MontyB,

Hm! Trouble is, and this is the point you all seem to be missing, it’s not the Russian military who keep trying to tell you how good the T-95 is, it’s people outside the military.

You never found it strange or perhaps you didn’t even notice, that shortly after Marshal Igor Sergeyev made his somewhat indiscreet, comment, about Russia now having an MBT in the T-95, that was so superior to everything else, the rest didn’t matter, that he was shortly after this and very quietly, replaced as Russian Minister of Defence.

Ever since Igor Segeyev’s little speech, the Russian military and government has done everything it could to publicly discredit everything to do with the T-95 program. Perhaps you also missed the comments where they claimed the T-80U M2 “Chiorny Oriol” demonstrated at Omsk 97, was an incomplete prototype; amongst other things, claiming the T-80U M2, as demonstrated, had an empty shell for a turret. Funny thing is, the footage of that demonstration shows the gun to be fully stabilised and what do you know, there is other footage available on the web, of this very same tank, firing rounds out of it’s “dummy” gun on a gunnery range or two. And everybody swallowed the line hook line and sinker.

I’m not going to go through all this again, but the development series goes like this T-80U M1 BARS TANK, systems technology proving platform for the hydraulic driveline and a few minor associated sub-systems. T-80U M2 first prototype fully functional MBT with the X-form hydraulic engine, driveline and integrated suspension. T-95 fully functional final format MBT with the same X-form hydraulic engine, driveline and integrated suspension; the first of the Next Generation Land Warfare Equipment of the Russian Army.

What the hell do you think made them take such a radical departure from their previous practice of multiple MBT types and powering formats, and go to a single platform scenario, for all future tracked combatants in a program now called “Armata”, and more recently, decide to do an equivalent single platform scenario for wheeled equipment as well? All of this was in the original documentation they evaluated in 96/7; it’s not new, it’s just progressing as per the original proposal and fellas, you’ve got no idea just how good the total Armata program makes the resulting mobile assault group.

Tell me, if you now had an MBT that could reliably fight from Russia into Germany, without re-fuelling, wouldn’t you want to keep it a secret too? How many times would you have to refuel an M1A2 Abrams to do the same distance? Last I heard, that great big lump of iron takes 8 gallons just to light up the power plant.

I must be missing something here. Where exactly, did you see a late model Russian tank, with a Russian crew, a smouldering ruin on a battlefield?

You’re just lucky Putin stepped in and classified this work when he did; even so, they had enough information to make big advances in these areas and if you know what to look for, they certainly did. How is it you can so easily condemn Russian engineering, when even the American Navy is still only talking about Titanium hulled vessels; the Russian’s have been routinely building submarines with Titanium hulls since the early sixties or don’t you remember those little Alfa (NATO designation) SSN? It took the CIA 15 years to convince the American Navy Russian shipbuilders could build Titanium hulled submarines in a ship building environment, simply because Navy wouldn’t accept, the Russian engineers could do something the American’s couldn’t; they still can’t, for that matter. By the way, where do you think Kelly Johnson got the Titanium to build the SR-71 Blackbirds? Russia. I also remember, must’ve been way back in about 1980, when I was fooling around with helicopters, the Russians were building at least one model of Mil Attack Helicopter, with a single piece ceramic lower fuselage for ballistic protection. Say what you like, but pray you never end up in a shootout with current technology Russian equipment, crewed by Russians.

Low tech troops with high tech gear? What do you think is the average educational level of American Tank crews? I doubt they’re a bunch of rocket scientists.
nero1234

If you want my personal opinion I doubt the Russian military could make it across the Polish border without serious casualties so I think Germany is safe as for the Titanium hulls well they are a symptom of Russia's problems sure they can make great hulls but just about everything else that goes into them is 30 years out of date and no matter how good their hulls are if your maintenance is shoddy then you have problems.

I have never claimed that Russia can not build good weapons systems but the fact is that they are let down by corruption, poor training, morale and in my opinion a lack of professionalism and until you can prove to me that the bulk of the Russian military is not an army of conscripts with AK's then I am not going to be impressed by shiny tin cans further to this I do not believe they are industrially capable of the hi-tech quality production needed to make and maintain quality weapons systems.

As for the average educational level of US tank crews I wouldn't have a clue however I do know that the training they are given is a fair bit more than a few low tech classes carried out in a vodka induced haze.

Last edited:
Low tech troops with high tech gear? What do you think is the average educational level of American Tank crews? I doubt they’re a bunch of rocket scientists.
nero1234

High school diploma at the minimum, many of them like a lot of American servicemen have college degrees simply because the Army is paying for them.

As for the training they get, they get decent tank training, and then when they reach their actual army unit, they get much more additional training depending on the type of armor unit they are assigned to, and the type of vehicle they are in.

Spend too much time looking back and the future will overwhelm you

Are MontyB,

Disappointing: what, no comments about the departure of Igor Sergeyev as Russian Minister of Defence; disinformation programs related to the T-80U M2 and T-95?

Incredible, he we have the case that the Russians assembled 16 test engines from scratch and two fully functional MBTs (T-80U M1 BARS TANK & T-80U M2) and the latter being demonstrated at Omsk 97, a sales Expo of all things and all this done in not much more than a year and then actually getting a completely radical MBT accepted for production (T-95) in a continuance program in no more than three more years and all you can do is fall back on the pre-Putin era rhetoric of Vodka swilling conscripts with AKs and poor training programs. And lets not forget, the two T-95test units did 1700 engine hours in the Yurga proving grounds and they didn't break 'em; that sounds like a pretty good standard of engineering to me.

Just how long do you think it would take for the US military, for example, to develop a completely new MBT type and get it accepted for production? And in this question, I do mean completely new MBT type, there is very little that is old school about the T-95, it's systems and how it operates.

nero1234:drunkb:

I see all these comments about equipment and capability....the fact of the matter is that any piece of equipment is only as good as the crew that operates it.

I wonder how many days a year an average Russian conscript gets training in ANY type of tracked vehicle against a near peer type opposition force...? How many days in the field does that soldier spend a year fighting in Brigade sized maneuvers or larger. What's their retention rate within the ranks which keeps the institutional experience of an organization highly proficient?

Now ask the same questions of their potential opponents...

The T-95 certainly looks like it's an impressive system...I will be concerned about it when the Russian military can get their corruption under control, their training in line, and their institutional experience at a level where they aren't reineventing the wheel every year with each new group of conscripts. Going into the Russian Army as a conscript is almost as bad a prison as I understand it...Until that changes, I imagine the Russians will get quite bloodied in any major confrontation they may have in the future with a professionally trained army.

Are MontyB,

Disappointing: what, no comments about the departure of Igor Sergeyev as Russian Minister of Defence; disinformation programs related to the T-80U M2 and T-95?

Incredible, he we have the case that the Russians assembled 16 test engines from scratch and two fully functional MBTs (T-80U M1 BARS TANK & T-80U M2) and the latter being demonstrated at Omsk 97, a sales Expo of all things and all this done in not much more than a year and then actually getting a completely radical MBT accepted for production (T-95) in a continuance program in no more than three more years and all you can do is fall back on the pre-Putin era rhetoric of Vodka swilling conscripts with AKs and poor training programs. And lets not forget, the two T-95test units did 1700 engine hours in the Yurga proving grounds and they didn't break 'em; that sounds like a pretty good standard of engineering to me.

Just how long do you think it would take for the US military, for example, to develop a completely new MBT type and get it accepted for production? And in this question, I do mean completely new MBT type, there is very little that is old school about the T-95, it's systems and how it operates.

nero1234:drunkb:

No offense but I really don't care whether the defence minister has resigned or they have resurrected Rasputin the T-95 has been nothing but vapourware since 1990 when it was first rumoured to exist so lets be honest here this is a 23 year development that has so resulted in a confirmed power plant for an unspecified vehicle most likely an upgrade for the T-90 which is considered underpowered.

Don't get me wrong eventually the Russians will develop a T-95 just as I have no doubt they will make a T-200 it is just the development cycle but at the moment I doubt it is anything more than a design concept still if you can roll out a few operational pictures of one (ie. not an unspecified barrel poking out from under a tarpaulin) I will take the T-95 more seriously.

On my views, in four base elements of tank :" firepower, mobility, protection and firing accuray." The most importing is protection. Due to the hardship enviroment on the battleground. if your tank be " one shoot one killed " by anti-tank missiles,

basically, the type of tank are rubblish steels.

post a vedio a tank hit by an anti-tank missile:

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNTc1MjA5MDgw.html

Last edited:
Hi MontyB,

Hm! Trouble is, and this is the point you all seem to be missing, it’s not the Russian military who keep trying to tell you how good the T-95 is, it’s people outside the military.

You never found it strange or perhaps you didn’t even notice, that shortly after Marshal Igor Sergeyev made his somewhat indiscreet, comment, about Russia now having an MBT in the T-95, that was so superior to everything else, the rest didn’t matter, that he was shortly after this and very quietly, replaced as Russian Minister of Defence.

Ever since Igor Segeyev’s little speech, the Russian military and government has done everything it could to publicly discredit everything to do with the T-95 program. Perhaps you also missed the comments where they claimed the T-80U M2 “Chiorny Oriol” demonstrated at Omsk 97, was an incomplete prototype; amongst other things, claiming the T-80U M2, as demonstrated, had an empty shell for a turret. Funny thing is, the footage of that demonstration shows the gun to be fully stabilised and what do you know, there is other footage available on the web, of this very same tank, firing rounds out of it’s “dummy” gun on a gunnery range or two. And everybody swallowed the line hook line and sinker.

I’m not going to go through all this again, but the development series goes like this T-80U M1 BARS TANK, systems technology proving platform for the hydraulic driveline and a few minor associated sub-systems. T-80U M2 first prototype fully functional MBT with the X-form hydraulic engine, driveline and integrated suspension. T-95 fully functional final format MBT with the same X-form hydraulic engine, driveline and integrated suspension; the first of the Next Generation Land Warfare Equipment of the Russian Army.

What the hell do you think made them take such a radical departure from their previous practice of multiple MBT types and powering formats, and go to a single platform scenario, for all future tracked combatants in a program now called “Armata”, and more recently, decide to do an equivalent single platform scenario for wheeled equipment as well? All of this was in the original documentation they evaluated in 96/7; it’s not new, it’s just progressing as per the original proposal and fellas, you’ve got no idea just how good the total Armata program makes the resulting mobile assault group.

Tell me, if you now had an MBT that could reliably fight from Russia into Germany, without re-fuelling, wouldn’t you want to keep it a secret too? How many times would you have to refuel an M1A2 Abrams to do the same distance? Last I heard, that great big lump of iron takes 8 gallons just to light up the power plant.

I must be missing something here. Where exactly, did you see a late model Russian tank, with a Russian crew, a smouldering ruin on a battlefield?

You’re just lucky Putin stepped in and classified this work when he did; even so, they had enough information to make big advances in these areas and if you know what to look for, they certainly did. How is it you can so easily condemn Russian engineering, when even the American Navy is still only talking about Titanium hulled vessels; the Russian’s have been routinely building submarines with Titanium hulls since the early sixties or don’t you remember those little Alfa (NATO designation) SSN? It took the CIA 15 years to convince the American Navy Russian shipbuilders could build Titanium hulled submarines in a ship building environment, simply because Navy wouldn’t accept, the Russian engineers could do something the American’s couldn’t; they still can’t, for that matter. By the way, where do you think Kelly Johnson got the Titanium to build the SR-71 Blackbirds? Russia. I also remember, must’ve been way back in about 1980, when I was fooling around with helicopters, the Russians were building at least one model of Mil Attack Helicopter, with a single piece ceramic lower fuselage for ballistic protection. Say what you like, but pray you never end up in a shootout with current technology Russian equipment, crewed by Russians.

nero1234

It seems the t 95 became the Armata: what happened to the 152 mm gun? Throughout this thread people have been denigrating Russian equipment and personnel capabilities.IMO,its the power of American advertising. We're all unknowingly programmed by the movies we watch and books we read.

Back