What about the Swedish military?

KJ said:
As for defending it´s own territory I believe the Swedish armed forces (as they stand today) would be able to repell a full scale invasion by the Russkies, however that is no longer a viable or realistic threat so that part of this discussion is an oxymoron.
For one the Russian armed forces are in itself a shell of what they once were.

As for Swedish joint missions with different allies:
KFOR, SFOR, ISAF and UNMIL are a few examples of what is cooking right now.
A recent one is ARTEMIS.

The tip of the sword, the operators are as good as they get and although small in numbers they get their missions done. (Or have gotten thus far).

For the kid who thinks Sweden deserves to get invaded.
When your balls drop from your stomach and you have done atleast some conscription service time come see me and I´ll buy you a beer.

If you are an adult and still feel that way, feel free to move to a third world nation of your choosing.
You say people are complaining to much?
Reread your post and think about how it portrays you.

KJ.

I disagree, Sweden would not repel a full scale Russian invasion, its just to small, few tanks , few fighters and too small fleet.

Snauhi said:
I disagree, Sweden would not repel a full scale Russian invasion, its just to small, few tanks , few fighters and too small fleet.

I haven´t seen too many Ivan Rogovs in the Baltic lately either.. :shock:

//KJ

Snauhi said:
KJ said:
As for defending it´s own territory I believe the Swedish armed forces (as they stand today) would be able to repell a full scale invasion by the Russkies, however that is no longer a viable or realistic threat so that part of this discussion is an oxymoron.
For one the Russian armed forces are in itself a shell of what they once were.

As for Swedish joint missions with different allies:
KFOR, SFOR, ISAF and UNMIL are a few examples of what is cooking right now.
A recent one is ARTEMIS.

The tip of the sword, the operators are as good as they get and although small in numbers they get their missions done. (Or have gotten thus far).

For the kid who thinks Sweden deserves to get invaded.
When your balls drop from your stomach and you have done atleast some conscription service time come see me and I´ll buy you a beer.

If you are an adult and still feel that way, feel free to move to a third world nation of your choosing.
You say people are complaining to much?
Reread your post and think about how it portrays you.

KJ.

Might not repell but it would be able to defend the country for quite a while which all depends on intelligence. The whole idea of conscript army is to educate people that later will be active in a event of war, this standing at around 1.5 milion. The problem is time, it takes around 24 hours to convert the bigger factories to start making weapons (like Volvo, SCA, Saab etc), and takes quite a while to equip all these people.

Tanks are sparse when compared to russian though, only around 200 STRV 122. We would not be able today to fight a large battle unless we mobalice which is the idea.

KJ said:
I still stand by my statement that real COMBAT experience is sparse in these units, while some Teams have plenty of it.

//KJ.

I believe this applies to Denmark, Finland and Norway as well. The scandinavians have experience from missions on the Balkans, Iraq and Afghanistan and of course in Lebanon, but we cannot front the large knowledge and skills found in veteran units in ie USA and the UK (military vise).

What I find interesting is the fact that where ever there are scandinavian soldiers present things calm down quickly and stay that way for a long period of time. It must be something with the scandinavian nature?

What my post wraps into is that the scandinavians have valuable skills in peace keeping missions, but still I guess we'd come off pretty well in a combat situation nevertheless.

AT 4

Dont forget that the AT 4 is from sweden and 500.000 at4 could kill allot of tanks don't you think? So our tanks wouldn't take care of them all :rambo:

eric013 "I doubt many of the US infantrymen in Iraq right now exceed that since many are pulled from the reserve and national guard (anyone having served there, feel free to share your views, and I will stand corrected). "

I believe most of the US infantry in Iraq are active duty marines and soldiers. The reserves and NG are the truck drivers and mechanics and so on.

I read somewhere that your commandos in Congo had a turkey shoot while defending UN food supply convoys.

the_13th_redneck said:
I meant highways. ooops!

AlexKall said:
They usually do land on runways ;)

Hehe i was mean, i knew what you ment. Im sorry ;)

rOk said:
I read somewhere that your commandos in Congo had a turkey shoot while defending UN food supply convoys.

SSG and FJS has been in many firefights with the rebbels.
They are responsible for the main airport in Bunia, making sure that supplyes are safe, reconosence etc.

We have been around for sometime now and yes there have even been some action for our UN troops. And for others there have been some more. I dont find to much about the fight in congo, it is more about the swe UN troops psychiatric history. *Boring* :lol:

More than 60,000 Swedish military personnel have been in UN-service since the operations in Greece 1951-52. The first study on Swedish UN soldiers, who had been exposed to combat during the hostilities in the Congo in 1961.

Link:

http://www.ncptsd.org/publications/cq/v6/n1/lundin_o.html

Cheers:
Doc.S

:viking:

What's this about Sweden having no allies? Sweden is part of the EU. The reason they, just like other European countries, aren't armed to the teeth is plain and simple: There is no threat. They've got the tech, are capable, wouldn't idly wait if a threat did arise and as it has been said before: Don't mess with the vikings! :viking: :D

Well the sweeds can if they want but they dont ;)

28 Apr. Mutiny of the Bounty.
1 Jun. Five Russian ships attack and capture Swedish frigate Venus while anchored in Christiania (Oslo). 12 - 13 Jun. Battle of Porrassalmi. Swedish troop of 650 men defeats 5100 russian soldiers.
24 Aug. First battle of Svensksund, 44 vessels of the Swedish skerri fleet were attacked by 107 Russian ships and suffered severe losses.

9 Jul. Second battle of Svensksund. 195 units of the Swedish Skerry fleet defeats Russian fleet of 255 ships.
Swedish losses 6 ships and 600 men.
Russian losses 61 ships and 9000 men.
Curt von Stedingk appointed swedish ambassador in St Petersburg.

LINK:

http://www.angelfire.com/oz/jenssen/timeline2.html

Cheers:
Doc.S

:viking:

Bratwurst said:
What's this about Sweden having no allies? Sweden is part of the EU. The reason they, just like other European countries, aren't armed to the teeth is plain and simple: There is no threat. They've got the tech, are capable, wouldn't idly wait if a threat did arise and as it has been said before: Don't mess with the vikings! :viking: :D

Hehe, beeing allience free (ie neutral) means we cant aslong as we want to be neutral :eek:

The only documented fightings in Congo is the one with Swedish SF and frence soldiers killing 20 rebels but there are talks about more by FM :eek:

i like swedish army,especially the planes which i think are the best in europe,and due to their landscape i think that they can organise a good defence if needed and use that land scape expiriance in UN peace keeping operations............i admire them allright

"Battle of Porrassalmi. Swedish troop of 650 men defeats 5100 russian soldiers."

Troops, where all soldiers and units were finnish.

Pori's regiment 3rd company (400 men)
Savo's jaegers (80 men)
Free company (hangarounds, gibseys 100 men)
Karelie's dragoons (30 men)
Karelie's dragoons reserves (50 men)
Uusimaa's dragoons (60 men)

Tot. 720 men

Those old units still exist:

Pori's regiment established in 16.2.1626 for needs of 30yrs war (Pori's brigade since 1960s), unit where i have been trained and served. 3rd company still exists as 3rd Jaeger coy (since 1980s), known also as "rogue three" because gathered hangarounds and criminals.

In WWII troops formed by Pori's regiment took part in winter war in 1939-40 at Summa wich was one of the most important battles and in Karelian isthmus in summer -44.

Savo's jaegers established in 1620 (Savo's brigade since 1775) stationed at Mikkeli near Porrassalmi. Garrison trains jaeger troops, mortar teams, MPs and recon troops. The official magazine of garrison is named as "Porrassalmi".

In 39-40 Savo's jaegers fought at Kollaa and Taipale river. In 41-44 fought at Tyrjä, Siiranmäki and Vuosalmi.

Karelie's dragoons and Uusimaa's dragoon regiment stationed at Lappeenranta, now mostly dispanded or transferred to Häme's regiment stationed at Lahti, except one company. Cavalry without horses.

http://www.porrassalmi.cjb.net/

Pori's brigade official web site http://www.mil.fi/maavoimat/joukot/porpr/perinteet.dsp

Savo's brigade official web site http://www.mil.fi/maavoimat/joukot/savpr/

Back