What Abou The French Foreign Legion

I realize this thread is quite old but I found it incredibly helpful. I need some help and I hope that you guys can give me some advice or some links for my questions:

1) I am very phsyically fit. I have trained martial arts since I was four years old having obtained a 5th degree black belt in a Korean hybrid martial art, a 1st degree black belt in Krav Maga, a blue belt in BJJ and I have studied Jeet Kune Do, Kyoksuhin Karate and Judo. I am a work out nut doing P90X on a daily basis and adding on other various workouts as well. So fitness is not an issue. I do have a lower back injury but it rarely acts up. Will they do x-rays or will the lower back issue be a problem?

2) Hitting on the fitness part, what all is expected from you on the day of? I know it's a minimum of four pull ups, a mile under 12 minutes and some kind of "beep test" but I also heard that you have to climb up a rope without using your feet and you have to fight the first day. Could someone help distinguish fact from fiction?

3) I graduated high school but I am a martial arts coach and haven't really needed anything outside of "this is how you throw a kick and a punch" since I have a manager to run my business. I am petrified of the psychometric technique tests and other tests. Are there any links you guys could provide to help study and prepare?

4) I know nothing about the French language. I know they'll teach me but I like to be prepared. Will Rosetta Stone or some other language soft ware help?

Yes, I know the Legion isn't a cake walk. Yes, I know what I'm getting into (at least a general idea, of course). I leave in June or July of this year and I am ready for the next five years to be hell. I want and need this to happen and I'm scared I'll be sent home. There is nothing left for me here and I HAVE to get away (not trouble with the law, just personel). Please, help me with any links of tests to help get me "smarter" (LOL) and help me with fact vs fiction.

Legio Patra Nostra

Thanks, and welcome!

Interesting first post! While I am way to old to ever try that, I believe it is a good idea for someone younger.

Yep, try again, would be my take.

Maybe spend some more time in Europe before going for the test, just to get a feel for things and ways here, and to get aquainted to the bugs variations (your Eastern European comrades might not have been the problem but the differnt variations of bugs from overseas and here)

Interesting also that you see the Europeans quite fit (my take also), when in cold war training with US guys that had considerable more muscle to show and were visibly using the gym more than us we always won out on them when it was about forced marches or resistance exercises.

Thx for sharing,

Rattler

sir do they translate the Iq tests to arabic ? please i really need the Answer :crybaby:

Thanks, and welcome!

Interesting first post! While I am way to old to ever try that, I believe it is a good idea for someone younger.

Yep, try again, would be my take.

Maybe spend some more time in Europe before going for the test, just to get a feel for things and ways here, and to get aquainted to the bugs variations (your Eastern European comrades might not have been the problem but the differnt variations of bugs from overseas and here)

Interesting also that you see the Europeans quite fit (my take also), when in cold war training with US guys that had considerable more muscle to show and were visibly using the gym more than us we always won out on them when it was about forced marches or resistance exercises.

Thx for sharing,

Rattler

I've seen a documentary on the legion recently. Seems like when they accept you, you have daily language classes as part of instruction. But its difficult to get accepted if you don't understand a word of the commands, so I guess you're right one should have basic knowledge beforehand. If one has only limited time I would just cram verbs (esp. movements, forme impératif) and technical terms about weaponry, tactics. AFAIK officers are all french.

Eastern europeans aren't exactly famous for their command of english and neither are the french. So the only way to talk with your comrades is french and in such a situation most people start to speak pretty fluently after six months or so.

BTW you get a new name when you enter, that guy in the documentary had himself called Dieter "Kampfmann", meaning battle-man in german :-D
weaponry
sir do they translate the Iq tests to arabic ? please i really need the Answer

Go to Cervens net.com. He runs an excellent foreign Legion site with a forum and a newbies/wannabies Q and A section.
Also:
Get extremely fit.
Run run and run. Climb a rope only using your arms.
Lotsa push ups.
Learn French.
Learn how to keep your mouth shut and do whatever you are told to do unquestionably.
Be prepared for a tough 5 years if you pass all the tests and get accepted.

I'd also like to add that to the recruiters previous experience doesn't really count as you all start from the same level.
Though previous experience may make life a little easier
Age is 18 to 45.
They seem to be accepting a hell of a lot of Eastern Europeans the past few years.

I want to join FFL . can you tell me what will stop me from getting in, i have trouble with the meanning of Psychological and technical tests , I'm afraid of them :(( I WANT some advices that would help me in this tests

Back