What Abou The French Foreign Legion

PJ24 said:
I've worked with the FFL, many of those guys kept in touch with their families.

Wow, I didn't know that. Last time I was in contact with a belgian Legionair was in 1995, so a lot could have changed. So I learned something new today!

No, I haven't been in the military. But I had a run in with them in Marseille and I had a friend who did join them. He told me something like that and I haven't heard from him since..... Or maybe he just didn't like me that much :)

zander_0633 said:
So is the training there tough? Are you from French? A france citizen?

lol Zander, pay attention, guy. I said I worked with the FFL, not that I was in the FFL. My profile also says what military I'm in. ;-)

Oops! Sori! Am not very sure. So no one in this forum is in the FFL? Saw the viedo, they said that those who go in are expecte to DIE FOR FRANCE!

zander_0633 said:
Oops! Sori! Am not very sure. So no one in this forum is in the FFL? Saw the viedo, they said that those who go in are expecte to DIE FOR FRANCE!

They are not expected to die, but they are more expendable than regular French soldiers because it would not be french people dying.

Quick one for Zander.
The Legionaires have acces to pay phones and mail facilities in the fouyer on all bases.
Guys with glasses can get in.
No acces to contacting home for the first couple of months training due to the high tempo. Once you have finished training at the farm as they call it you usually get a chance to call home.
France use the Legion as a quick reaction force hence the good chance of going somewhere "nasty".
Cheers.

Yeah! So they get the chance to use their skills instead of keep on training right?

Haven seen any one in the FFL wearing specs yet.

New names...and other ?'s on the FFL.

I just came from Aubagne (French Foreign Legion)rejected, If anyone has any questions, here are the few I can answer.

1. Just about everyone who was on my bus from Paris to Aubagne got a new name.
2. Not being able to speak any French (although I understood alot) didn't seem to matter
3. If you are American (like me) they will ask you repeatedly if your sure you want to do this
4. There are more than alot of Eastern Europeans in the ranks.
5. The initial Medical check-up at your parent recruiting station (not Aubagne) will be far from thorough, it will be by a nurse practitioner of sorts. I went through an eye exam and EKG, he checks the ankles, not for scars or scar tissue, but for a strong pulse, if you have a weak pulse in your ankles you have a weak heart pumping your blood, next, the commanding Physician will check your ******* without pressing hard against the Abdominal Wall and (checking respiration) by removing the stethoscope before your inspirations and the Otoscope for the Ears and Throat. Very thorough. (sarcasm)
6. The Psychometrictechnique tests (which there were 4 of them, and LISTEN CAREFULLY! If you do not make it to the 4th test you will be sent home) are strong, this will be assured to you prior to going to Aubagne and I am assuring you now. Also, if Aubagne is not your recruiting station (meaning outside of Aubagne) you will undergo a mock cooper test. If you fail miserably you might be turned away there, if you barely pass the cooper test you will still be sent to Aubagne, but will have to retake the Cooper test in Aubagne. The Psychometrictechnique tests consists of pattern recognition with numbers i.e a succession of numbers within triangles with you, finding the missing one (number), AND being able to reform unfolded 3-d tetris shapes in your head w/o pen or paper, each of the 4 answers will have the unfolded shape reformed in a specific position. The unfolded shapes will have corners either shaded black or shaded with lines, when reformed they will have to match up to 3 of the possibilities, it will be up to you to decipher which answer is correct and there is more than one answer and it is timed. Given the fact that I must be a total idiot to have failed this test and sent home has given me an unquenchable desire to study for the next 18 months and return for another shot at it.
7. If you fail this test you will be discharged with 2 pieces of paper. (1) will be the relinquishment of your new name, the (2) will be the reason for rejection. If you fail the Psycho it will say inaptitude for enlistment and subsequently will not be eligible for another 18 months.
8. Considering the showmanship in the courtyard with the pull-up bar, and dip-bars with a small looped track for running I was among the top 10 of the fittest individuals out of the 120. There are some extremely fit Europeans that are capable of between 12 and 19 pull-ups. However, this was in a resting capacity and not during the physical test so there actual aerobic capacity I could not measure, but their level of fitness I would still not underestimate.
9. The time you may spend there is incalculable. I went into Paris on Monday and was sent to Aubagne on Thursday Morning, Psyche-tested on Thursday afternoon and sent packing on Friday, but there were guys in Paris that had been there two weeks. I caught a nasty flu which peaked Tuesday and coincidently abated on the day of my departure, which brings me to another testament. Eastern Europeans are not very sanitary, so watch as you are in the marching and chow line to the people that are blowing snot-rockets bare-handed or coughing into their hands and plunging them into the huge bread baskets, this is probably how I became sick.
10. I have no regrets and no ill will towards the Legion. I want to be a Legionnaire and vow to return smarter and stronger than my previous plight. I do have to mention that some of comraderie looked too close for comfort, but then I guess somethings you have to deal with considering the laws over there are different and homosexuality is tolerated by far.. more than the U.S.
11. They will give you around 70 euros on the day of your departure.
If there's any other questions you think I might now, ask me....
Johndoe

Last edited:
Thanks, and welcome!

Interesting first post! While I am way to old to ever try that, I believe it is a good idea for someone younger.

Yep, try again, would be my take.

Maybe spend some more time in Europe before going for the test, just to get a feel for things and ways here, and to get aquainted to the bugs variations (your Eastern European comrades might not have been the problem but the differnt variations of bugs from overseas and here)

Interesting also that you see the Europeans quite fit (my take also), when in cold war training with US guys that had considerable more muscle to show and were visibly using the gym more than us we always won out on them when it was about forced marches or resistance exercises.

Thx for sharing,

Rattler

I just came from Aubagne (French Foreign Legion)rejected, If anyone has any questions, here are the few I can answer.

1. Just about everyone who was on my bus from Paris to Aubagne got a new name.
2. Not being able to speak any French (although I understood alot) didn't seem to matter
3. If you are American (like me) they will ask you repeatedly if your sure you want to do this
4. There are more than alot of Eastern Europeans in the ranks.
5. The initial Medical check-up at your parent recruiting station (not Aubagne) will be far from thorough, it will be by a nurse practitioner of sorts. I went through an eye exam and EKG, he checks the ankles, not for scars or scar tissue, but for a strong pulse, if you have a weak pulse in your ankles you have a weak heart pumping your blood, next, the commanding Physician will check your ******* without pressing hard against the Abdominal Wall and (checking respiration) by removing the stethoscope before your inspirations and the Otoscope for the Ears and Throat. Very thorough. (sarcasm)
6. The Psychometrictechnique tests (which there were 4 of them, and LISTEN CAREFULLY! If you do not make it to the 4th test you will be sent home) are strong, this will be assured to you prior to going to Aubagne and I am assuring you now. Also, if Aubagne is not your recruiting station (meaning outside of Aubagne) you will undergo a mock cooper test. If you fail miserably you might be turned away there, if you barely pass the cooper test you will still be sent to Aubagne, but will have to retake the Cooper test in Aubagne. The Psychometrictechnique tests consists of pattern recognition with numbers i.e a succession of numbers within triangles with you, finding the missing one (number), AND being able to reform unfolded 3-d tetris shapes in your head w/o pen or paper, each of the 4 answers will have the unfolded shape reformed in a specific position. The unfolded shapes will have corners either shaded black or shaded with lines, when reformed they will have to match up to 3 of the possibilities, it will be up to you to decipher which answer is correct and there is more than one answer and it is timed. Given the fact that I must be a total idiot to have failed this test and sent home has given me an unquenchable desire to study for the next 18 months and return for another shot at it.
7. If you fail this test you will be discharged with 2 pieces of paper. (1) will be the relinquishment of your new name, the (2) will be the reason for rejection. If you fail the Psycho it will say inaptitude for enlistment and subsequently will not be eligible for another 18 months.
8. Considering the showmanship in the courtyard with the pull-up bar, and dip-bars with a small looped track for running I was among the top 10 of the fittest individuals out of the 120. There are some extremely fit Europeans that are capable of between 12 and 19 pull-ups. However, this was in a resting capacity and not during the physical test so there actual aerobic capacity I could not measure, but their level of fitness I would still not underestimate.
9. The time you may spend there is incalculable. I went into Paris on Monday and was sent to Aubagne on Thursday Morning, Psyche-tested on Thursday afternoon and sent packing on Friday, but there were guys in Paris that had been there two weeks. I caught a nasty flu which peaked Tuesday and coincidently abated on the day of my departure, which brings me to another testament. Eastern Europeans are not very sanitary, so watch as you are in the marching and chow line to the people that are blowing snot-rockets bare-handed or coughing into their hands and plunging them into the huge bread baskets, this is probably how I became sick.
10. I have no regrets and no ill will towards the Legion. I want to be a Legionnaire and vow to return smarter and stronger than my previous plight. I do have to mention that some of comraderie looked too close for comfort, but then I guess somethings you have to deal with considering the laws over there are different and homosexuality is tolerated by far.. more than the U.S.
11. They will give you around 70 euros on the day of your departure.
If there's any other questions you think I might now, ask me....
Johndoe

You were paid only 70 Euro because the pay was pro-rated. If you earn around 1k euro a month but are only there for less than a week they pro-rate the amount. Your pay started effective of your walking into the office.

Everyone gets a new name. It's still and always will be in effect to make everyone feel just the same as everyone else. You get it back after roughly 2 1/2 years.

As far as the "Comraderie", many other nations and cultures don't have a view that touching is somehow sexual and it must mean that two people are in love. In fact in most Arabic countries it is customary for two best friends who are men to hold hands, and no not in a gay way. It's a sign of friendship is all.

And yes those mental triangle things are tricky the easiest way to figure them out is to draw a mental image with your hand or use your hand and fingers to help you visualize the dynamics, as you build the image in your head.

How good is your French?
I know they say there's no language requirement but believe me you will want to speak good French.
My Korean isn't 100%... more like 95% and even THAT brings problems.
If your French isn't good or if you don't speak French at all, go do that first.

Check here for specifics:
http://www.ambafrance-us.org/atoz/legion/enlist.asp

As for fitness you should be able to run 10 kilometers at the drop of a hat.

A) AGE- Is this not fairly obvious? If you are seventeen or forty forget it!
B)CITIZENSHIP-If you mean French citizenship you will get it at the end of 5years service.If you are French they will put you down as Belgian.
C)If you are a Muslim forget it.(or any other non christian religion).Although there are no official bans THEY WILL REJECT YOU or if you are one of the .001% non christians accepted the beatings and beasting you will recieve will cause you to either desert or commit suicide.If you dont believe me then just remember I told you so when you are lying in a puddle of your own piss blood and teeth.
D)CONTRACT-5 Year basic
E) ENTRY LEVEL- trainee Legionaire or bleu or NCO
training punchbag
F)PREVIOUS MILITARY SERVICE-They dont give a ****. If you were general of the Us marines it means NOTHING untill you are a legionaire.In fact other than fitness previous military experience will hinder your learning things THEIR WAY and if you dont learn that then expect to get used to the taste of your own blood.

Finally as said before 'LEARN FRENCH FIRST' if you dont then you are either a masochist who enjoys a kick in the nuts for every mispronunciation or a punch in the guts for grammar mistakes.Learn as many nouns aswell as what you cant name in french you will be made to carry/sleep on /run round till you drop/have taken from your meals/be made to eat/be hit with etc..depending on which is nastiest for that word.

If you are a pussy who cant take a good kicking the leigons not for you.
If you are hard as nails with iron determination then you 'might' get to wear that white kepi!

What about the hearing standards? Anyone got a clue to that? As I have slightly poor hearing in my left ear so what can I do? And do they have a waiver scheme for medical issues but you have previous mil experience with a good clean record

Yes what about le legion etrangere

"Vous des légionnaires êtes des soldats afin de mourir et je vous envoie où vous pouvez mourir" famous quote made by the legionnaire general Negrier back in 1800 and something. Roughly "you legionnaires are soldiers meant to die and I will send you where you can die." Although the legion started out as a dumping ground for left over soldiers from the napoleonic wars in France, today it is a more modern streamlined strike force kind of organization. General Norman Schwarzkopf was made an honorary member of the legion after using them in the first gulf war as a composite strike force. But seriously mon ami, stay away and I mean far away from this venture, it is not for you. You must consider if you really want to hazard your life in the service of a foreign military, remember, you may not survive the legion and if you do, so what? Few will believe the truth about your adventures and you will be forced to carry the pain of memory that only you, and those with whom you served, can truly feel from the inevitable after effects of war. People don't give parades and monuments and job preferences to those who serve a foreign military. You might come back to the states to find an IRS bill waiting for you, penalties and fees for failing to file even if you have nothing to declare. The French government takes taxes out of your legionnaire pay, did you ever stop to think you might go broke in this venture? Unless you have absolutely nothing else going for you in life, then by all means just get on a plane and present yourself at the recruiting station in France, they will do the rest and the legion will be your father after that. La femme, le vin, le guerre et le mort cest la vie le legionnaire.

Go to Cervens net.com. He runs an excellent foreign Legion site with a forum and a newbies/wannabies Q and A section.
Also:
Get extremely fit.
Run run and run. Climb a rope only using your arms.
Lotsa push ups.
Learn French.
Learn how to keep your mouth shut and do whatever you are told to do unquestionably.
Be prepared for a tough 5 years if you pass all the tests and get accepted.

I'd also like to add that to the recruiters previous experience doesn't really count as you all start from the same level.
Though previous experience may make life a little easier
Age is 18 to 45.
They seem to be accepting a hell of a lot of Eastern Europeans the past few years.

The maximum age for enlistment into the FFL is 40 not 45.

Is the basic training longer in the Legion than what it says on their website? Thats what the British military always do! Tell you on their brochures that the training is a certain number of weeks and then when you get to training you find out that it is more weeks than the recruiting sergeant says so i have been told, Is this the case for the Legion?

Back