We've Finally Killed Someone via the Judicial System

View Poll Results :Should we have let her die?
Yes 12 63.16%
No 7 36.84%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

--
Boots

March 31st, 2005  
silent driller

Topic: We've Finally Killed Someone via the Judicial System

Folks, we have officially done it. Unbutt****ing believeable.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/03/31/schiavo/index.html

...All we can do now is pray for the repose of her soul.
March 31st, 2005  
rotc boy

im sorry, but when someone is brain damaged like that, i personally think its painful for them, especially since they used to live normal lives, and that they should be let to die because shes in an "unconsious state" for 10 years, chances are she isnt going to come out of it and be all fine and dandy again...
just my 10 cents
April 1st, 2005  
WarMachine

Guys, i'm all for saving lives if that means that person will come out ok. But in regards to shcaivo, what would she do if she was alive still? Nothing. Let her die of natural causes and she would have accomplished no progress anyway with her condition i'm almost positive. And why should we care so much.

It creates a bad precedent for government to get involved in these kind of affairs. Can anyone approve what congress did, i can't. It should've been a family affair, not national opinion. If we're so concerned about saving lives in government, why have the iraq war for. There was no good reason and thousands died.

The whole thing was brought up since daschle (the speaker of the house), wanted to distract people from what he was doing the whole time. And it blew up in his face and i'm glad, people like him are hyprocrites since he pulled the plug on his own dad, this is true.
--
Boots
April 1st, 2005  
behemoth79

i think that the plug should have been pulled from her a while back. but what i dont agree with is the government stepping in and making a law on a case this unique. other people have been kept alive with feeding tubes and the government hasnt passed any laws. what makes this case different than the others?
April 1st, 2005  
chewie_nz

personally i think it was right to let her go (not by starvation etc though)

however don't beleive everything you hear in the media;

heres are cople of vids - http://gordonwatts.com/ConversationWithTerri.wmv
http://web.tampabay.rr.com/ccb/videos/hows_that_cold.rm

also, check out this site
http://www.katesjourney.com/

this lady was in a 'vegetative state' just like terry, but with rehabilitation and care she is now leading a pretty decent life again. not saying that terry would of ever completely recovered, but she WAS NOT completely brain dead.

also, http://codeblueblog.blogs.com/codebl...dblogs_co.html

here terrys CT scan results are disputed. not a bad read.

http://www.rense.com/general63/mmk.htm
heres an article where one of terrys nurses says she can eat normally, but her husband will not allow it

heres a huge collection of news articles http://www.rense.com/Datapages/terrydata.htm
April 1st, 2005  
Charge 7

Quote:
Guys, i'm all for saving lives if that means that person will come out ok. But in regards to shcaivo, what would she do if she was alive still? Nothing.
So if a person isn't just fine and dandy and isn't able to contribute to the workforce we should just let them die huh? Hitler started out with that notion and you know where it led to.
April 1st, 2005  
03USMC

This is why it's important to have a living will. I've had one since I was 21. No life Support, Do not resuscitate and no heroic measures clauses.

In my mind it takes the pressure off your family. My 2 centavos.
April 1st, 2005  
godofthunder9010

Truthfully, if we're talking about the ethics and saving a life in cases like that of Terry Shiavo, we seem to be ideologically screwed up. In terms of ideology lets alternately consider Abortion, where we also have "the debatable right for the human being to live." In the case of Terry Shiavo, we have a woman that is extremely unlikely to ever wake up and it is extremely likely that, were she to have woken up, she'd just be an awake vegtable. In the case of Abortion, we're dealing with the termination of the life a a human being that is pretty well guaranteed to be conscious, coherent, and lead a normal life if allowed to live. So if Abortion is not murder and taking Terry Shiavo off of her feeding tube was murder ... kinda makes humankind contradictory as all hell doesn't it??

Consider that the Republican Party that is outspoken against abortion also generally advocates and defends capital punishment. The Democratic Party, by in large denounces Capital Punishment as "barbaric and cruel" but staunchly defends the right for a woman to terminate the life of her unborn child.

By the way, didn't Scott Peterson get convicted for a double homicide: Having murdered his wife and unborn child. And yet, wasn't that murder committed in a state where abortion is legal? So you have an established law that an unborn child is not considerred to be alive, but a man gets convicted of murder for killing just such an unborn child in that same state.

Bear in mind, I'm not taking sides on any of the issues here, I'm just saying that when it comes to valuing a human life, humankind is currently very self contradictory. Seems we need to make up our mind about a lot of things, when it comes to saving human lives. Now we're just adding one more debate to the whole mess.[/code]
April 1st, 2005  
Charge 7

Quote:
I'm just saying that when it comes to valuing a human life, humankind is currently very self contradictory. Seems we need to make up our mind about a lot of things, when it comes to saving human lives. Now we're just adding one more debate to the whole mess.
Well society is obviously evolutionary. As we progress as a society we come across "life altering decisions" just as an individual does. We go through growth spurts in a society just as an individual does too. We're just in one now so things seem rather "messed up" to many folks. Think of it as national adolescence. Oh and before you "older countries" start chiming in, most of your societies aren't any better off and are, in fact, further behind. That's what happens when you change governments every so often. The US government is one of the oldest in the world actually.
April 2nd, 2005  
Vitaly

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03USMC
This is why it's important to have a living will. I've had one since I was 21. No life Support, Do not resuscitate and no heroic measures clauses.

In my mind it takes the pressure off your family. My 2 centavos.
That's been the way with my family ever since my mother died from cancer about 5 years ago. She said that if it was down to being on some sort of apparatus or being dead she prefered death since she did not want us to see her like that and figured it would be easier on us to grieve over her death than spend money, time, hope, and be in a continous state of semi-depression. She passed away painlessly the day after she was completely hospitalized.

Also, didn't Terri do this to herself?