westerns show bias towards chinese demostrations

MadeInChina

On China-Japan Dispute, Western Pundits Show Anti-China Bias
Commentary, Philip Cunningham,
Pacific News Service, Apr 19, 2005
Editor's Note: Why is it so hard for Westerners to understand China's rage about a concerted Japanese effort to rewrite history? PNS contributor Philip J. Cunningham is a Fulbright fellow looking at media images in Japan and China. He is based in Kyoto, Japan, and currently writing from Beijing.

BEIJING--The tendency for the Western media to tacitly side with Japan in the latest volatile history tiff with China is predictable, given ideological proclivities and insecurities about China's rise. But it is hypocritical and ultimately self-destructive to remain silent as Japan goes about, in a determined and sustained way, rewriting history.

In the "New History Textbook," Japan's invasion of northeast China is no longer termed an invasion, comfort women are erased from the record and the Nanking Massacre is dismissed as a controversial "incident."

The textbooks are just the tip of an iceberg as Japan's post-war ruling party revives militaristic values in Yasukuni Shrine rituals, reinstates obligatory school ceremonies involving the controversial wartime flag and anthem and continues to chip away at broadly received historical narratives, as it has done since Prime Minister Nakasone announced his proactive vision for a strong Japan.

Do Americans, who sacrificed so many of their "greatest generation" to defeat Japanese fascism really want to live in a world where the massacre of America's steadfast allies in Nanking is reduced to a non-event? Where Pearl Harbor is repainted as a justified attack? Is the United States ready to live in a world where the war against Japan was but an example of white man's racism?

Anyone comfortable with such conclusions can make light of China's anguish about Japan's rewriting of history. Of course respectable pundits never go so far; they prefer to chastise China with blinders on, conveniently forgetting the freedoms they enjoy are dependent and directly related to the sacrifices made by the Allies, including China, in the world war against fascism. The World War II memorial in Washington correctly recognizes China's contribution, as does the composition of the U.N. Security Council, where China has a coveted permanent seat with veto powers.

China is a big country with big problems, but it is unpopular for all the wrong reasons. Anachronistic Cold War ideologues hate China for being too communist, while beleaguered manufacturers and protectionists hate China for being too capitalistic. America hates China for not letting its people demonstrate, while Japan hates China for letting its people demonstrate.

Western punditry on the latest outburst ranges from triumphant condescension to feigned neutrality: "Settling scores is for small minds." "China is pushing and scripting protests." Anger about whitewashed textbooks can't possibly be sincere, so it must be government-manipulated. Japan apologized already, get over it. Why can't you Asians get along?

Daniel Lynch writes in the Asian Wall Street Journal that China's outburst reflects a desire to "control history writing in Asia." But is China's take on Imperial Japan -- that it was wrong to invade, wrong to cross the sea to kill, rape, plunder and colonize -- really all that different from America's?

Former U.S. China Ambassador James Lilley suggests it is somehow below the dignity of the United States to get involved in little island disputes or questions of history. But what about U.S. involvement in the Falklands conflict? What about Grenada? What about the Gulf of Tonkin, for that matter?

Michael Eliott of Time magazine said just before the recent flare-up that "those nervous spats between China and Japan have one prayer: that the U.S. will continue to hug Asia's powers in a comforting embrace." Prayer? Hugs?

Philip Bowring, writing in the International Herald Tribune, belittles Asian tensions as "historical mudslinging." He mocks Beijing, saying, "any country that purports to want greater Asian representation deserves bitter criticism if in practice it thwarts the aspirations of Japan and India" to gain Security Council seats. What of China's support for India's bid, and U.S. unwillingness to support the same?

The Economist leans heavily on Japan's side, making the lop-sided and condescending suggestion that in return for Japan withholding approval of the textbooks, China should give up propaganda and be serious about "negotiations about disputed waters," putting the onus on Beijing.

Japan Times contributor Gregory Clark, a contrarian and revisionist known for his dubious claim that the Tiananmen Massacre is a myth, comes as close as any commentator in memory in justifying Japan's attack on China and then Pearl Harbor, blaming the WWII attacks on "anti-Japan boycotts and incidents in China" and U.S. "racist anti-Japanese policies."

Japanese accusations of racism are not without merit. Indeed, it is a form of reverse racism that the West demands more of Germany's reckoning with history, and gets it. Japan's cultural and geographic distance from Europe reinforces a sense of exotic differentness. "If Americans come from Mars and Europeans come from Venus," writes the Arts and Letters Daily, published by the Chronicle of Higher Education, "what is the home planet of the Japanese? Saturn?"

But there is only one world, and on this one little planet there is room for only so much disagreement on documented historic matters. When it comes to the Holocaust, most Westerners appreciate the fact that recklessly rewriting history is not OK. Why is it so hard, then, for opinion leaders in the West to see that denying Nanking or the existence of comfort women or Japan's invasion of Asia is deeply infuriating?

http://news.pacificnews.org/news/view_article.html?article_id=90de232a34e7c68db79627bef58bfa7d

I suppose its a lot like dealing with China, and including "Taiwan" and "Independence" in the same sentence. You just don't want to do it because China will throw a fit.

Likewise, Japan seems to be prone to throwing a tantrum the moment that anyone dares question their revision of the history of World War II.

The Chinese one at least make a little bit of sense. Japan appears to want to call a blue sky orange and damn all who dare to contradict them.

One point: as far as the official position of the Japanese government, all of the hundreds of thousands of Comfort Women had a mutual delusion. They claim that all allegation of the use of Comfort Women to be utterly false. I assume they are claim that the many thousands of Comfort Women still living are in some grand conspiracy to make Japan look bad or something. Dunno.

Out of curiosity, if you were Japanese, how would you present the material? Would you worry about destroying the national pride of the younger generation by confronting them with their nation's attrocities? China has certainly been guilty of rewriting history as they saw fit, but on a much smaller scale of course. I'm kindof fishing for understanding here. Since we lack the voice of those who are in charge of the push for rewriting Japanese History Books.

As far as the West being biased against China .... well, I don't think that the majority have enough information to base their opinions on for one thing. For another, China is not being perceived as the liar here. They are being perceived as the victim who is overreacting. Lets not forget, China is also that country over there that has "terrifying potential military power" and if the worst happens and the Western Powers someday end up in a war with China, they want to be able to count on Japan as a military ally. China could go a long ways in toning down their talk of "punishing Japan for their crimes", which leads directly to "Let's invade Japan!!" Western diplomats do not want to encourage the Chinese people towards those ends, so condemning the alteration of Japanese History becomes a lot more complex. One thing you're not going to see: The West is never going to accept the Japanese version of WW2 as the real truth. The West knows what Japan is up to and nobody is happy about it.

Ideally, the West would love to trade with both countries as both are invaluable trade partners ... especially so long as there isn't a big war blowing up in the region.

Well...

Ally or not, if you commit a wrong to others, as a your close colleague or teammate, I will definitely advise you not to commit another wrong or repeat the same wrong because other guy has different opinions or life style from our partnership.

By keeping silent or unsympathetic towards Asians cry for justice is protecting WWII holocaust aggressor, it like slapping silly across the face of truth and justice. Allies or not. this issue is not Chinese only; it involves with other Asian countries, include ally of the West, Korea. To blame China for its nagging, it is a sign of ignoring Asians as a whole. In reverse, to actually question Japan's motive, the West will not alienate Asia, instead helps Asian countries to grow on the right path economically and politically.

Behind the facade of economic giant and youthful pop culture, Japan is nowhere near representing the spirit of Asia, instead of a painful past and disrespect that keep shoving onto our faces.

well, i realize not all western sources are false, such as NBC and MSnNews, which included comics of anti-jap protests that does not at all go biased aginist china

it is media concentration thats caused bias, most of these net works are owned by people of right-winged belief and pro-western

I think they were reasonably fair on this issue. It seems to have calmed down a bit lately but they may be due to less media coverage.

I can see both points the japanese want to gloss over their dark history and I can understand China being really pissed off as they have every right to be. But I am sure Chinese people are not told everything and there are many things that China denies ever happened or are less than truthful about. a point you could argue black and blue about for years. every country in the world does this to 1 degree or another. For eg example how many countries that win wars have war criminals. There are many cases of allied soilders killing surrendered Japanese and german prisioners as i am sure it was done by chinese soldiers as well, even to there own people. But only the losers are tried. I am not saying the Japanese are right in what they are doing but will they still be hearing these out cries in 500 years when does it stop. If you could answer that hand on heart you should be the leader of your country and maybe world spokeman or woman to be correct. Should I hold a grudge against you madeinchina because my grandfather died at the hands of the chinese during the korean war which was arguably not china's war. No of course I cannot and never will. However as i said the question is to difficult to answer once and for all
Should children have to pay for there parents mistakes I think no but they must take responsibility for their countries actions.
How much is taught in Chinese schools about massacres buring the early parts of the century by your own government on their own people?????? I do not know. You could argue that it was your own country but in my eyes that is not really any better.

Some Acute Irony from China

I guess we could look at the textbooks of many different countries and find things slanted one way or the other. However, I find some acute irony in China is complaining about the tools (textbooks) for socialization.

China is a country that fears any version of event - historic or current - that the official Party line does not write. Perhaps, people would take the history of Japan's behavior 65 years ago a bit more seriously when China opens up the media to points of view that are diverse and not driven from the Party committees.

I agree RED 52 those who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. As I stated before EVERY country in this world has done this to one degree or another

Allies or not, the US and Britain still owe Japan a kick in the alpha sierra sierra. Many Veterans refuse to attend the reunions involving Japan but they are not usually interviewed by the media.

Ah I see...

So people should never demand apologies because they had bad inhouse histories? So, it was ok for Germany to attack and slaughter others, get away with it, and people should never complain because everyone has bad track record on time or other? How convenient!

I guess you are not the one seeing a Samurai sword sticking through your women's private parts. I guess you are not the one seeing your grandmothers, mothers, younger and older sisters, and any females getting raped to death. I guess you are not the one seeing your countrymen getting their heads lopped off while perpetrators laughing.

I guess you would not understand the pain seeing a billboard spelling "Chinese and Dogs are prohibited to enter!" in front of public park. Maybe you will get that feeling with "American and Dogs are prohibited to enter!" in front of Disneyland.

According to you, it is ok for me or anyothers to break into your house, commit the most hideous crime and you can't complain because you beat up your brothers and sisters while growing up. You can not complain about my crime because simply your house rule is unreasonable (even inhumane at times) or holding different ideologies. If was reality, will you demand Meaningful Apologies from me or anyother perpetrators?

Wait, In your world, this is not my house got destroyed nor my women got raped. It is the Chinaman's house. I know, Commie China is inhumane, so why can't Commie bastards look back to their doings before complaining ruthless Japan. Ya I know, Chinese are bastards so they ain't got no rights because they are commies.

Look back text books, different text books? My arse! I am sure you still cry false if Chinese victims were broken down crying and telling you their experiences in front of you. Simply put, in your world, Commie Chineses got no rights.

Actually, I agree whole-heartedly with the position that pressure should be applied to Japan to face its history of aggression and war crimes. I'm not just talking about WWII. Having lived in South Korea, I can tell you there is plenty to attack the Japanese for in any year previous to 1946.

The problem is that China looks extremely (can I emphasis extremely any further?) hypocritical criticizing a country for white-washing its history. This is why there is the "glass houses/throwing stones" attitude to China's actions. Look to the beam in one's own eye and all that.

Maybe we should get a group of Japanese and Chinese historians together to jointly write the histories of each country. The problem there is we might end up with a tit for tat "we'll ignore crime A if you ignore crime B" sort of thing.

eh...

fro, is it not true the Japanese attacked and occupied China since the Opium war? Is it whitewashing children by providing the shameful past their ancestors experienced. I can aggree with you there are many untold stories in Chinese text books. However, WWII atrocities was real, how would you suggest Chinese governement to cover that part of history?

Because of past histories, should China covered up Japan's atrocities by saying Japanese were their liberators from the western power? Should China say all the exploited (very mellow word here) Chiense women and deads were not caused by Japanese but they are the victims of unatural event? How do you want China sugar coat this part of shame? Do you want China sayign that Opium war and occupation of China by the 8 alliances were merely a mirage, in realty China was the Victor of all? How do you want China tell the past 200 years of shame?

Saying: There was No Shame at all? Wait! Are we arguing Japan's WWII atrocities or we are arguing something else?

Boobies:

Did you read my post before you started ranting? When you address what I wrote, I'll address any concerns or criticisms you might have.

Thank you.

FRO

Maybe we should get a group of Japanese and Chinese historians together to jointly write the histories of each country. The problem there is we might end up with a tit for tat "we'll ignore crime A if you ignore crime B" sort of thing.

This logic doesn't work unfortunetly. Consistant stubborness from all sides contributes greatly to the faltering diplomatic ties in the East Asia Pacific. Even before these bi-lateral or multi-lateral talks began, I have already guessed correctly that a compromise wouldn't happen and that my friends is very unfortunate.

hehehe...

FRO, sorry if I misread your post.

What are you saying? Because whitewashed some histories, China can not complain Japan's racism towards Chinese and other Asians during WWII?

Have you read Chinese history books? How do you know Chinese history books are EXTREMELY whitewashed? Did you read China whitewashed WWII parts of the history? The whole anti-Japan sentiment was about WWII atrocities and Japan's refusal to acknowledge its wrong doings.

Well, studying in the US, I know the US history books were being whitewashed how the exploitation andmistreatment of Chinese and other Asians in the textbooks. And here in the US, Chinese have been discriminated because their origins, physical sizes, and/or coming from different political system. Do you read about that in the US text books or any other articles written and exposed by American intellects and system?

Under this whitewashed system, can Americans complain their pain and shame experienced during WWII? Well, Americans don't because Japan apologized to America in full as a NATION. And America is the most powerful nation on earth, so I don't see why Japan can be a jackarse to her.

Boobies said:
What are you saying? Because whitewashed some histories, China can not complain Japan's racism towards Chinese and other Asians during WWII?

Where, exactly, in my post did I say anything about China not being able to complain?

Boobies said:
Have you read Chinese history books? How do you know Chinese history books are EXTREMELY whitewashed?

Two words: Tiananmen Square.

Boobies said:
Did you read China whitewashed WWII parts of the history? The whole anti-Japan sentiment was about WWII atrocities and Japan's refusal to acknowledge its wrong doings.

In all honesty, I have no clue how much the Communist government has whitewashed its history regarding WWII. I will base my assumption that it has not told the whole truth on its lack of integrity in recent times.

Boobies said:
Well, studying in the US, I know the US history books were being whitewashed how the exploitation andmistreatment of Chinese and other Asians in the textbooks.

I'm Canadian. We have been taught about the Head Tax, the exploitation of Chinese and other oriental labourers to build the railroads, and the internment of ethnic Japanese (and often Asians of other cultures whom authorities assumed were Japanese) during WWII. Our Governor General was born in Hong Kong (though the name Adrienne Clarkson might not tip you off to that fact) and she is very blunt and honest about the prejudice and discrimination she has faced in her lifetime. David Suzuki is probably the most recognized scientist in Canada, and he doesn't mince words when discussing his life and the suffering created by discrimination and specifically the forced relocation of Canadian citizens of Japanese extraction during WWII.

We are not proud of these black marks in our history, but we face up to them.

Can China say the same?

Boobies said:
And here in the US, Chinese have been discriminated because their origins, physical sizes, and/or coming from different political system. Do you read about that in the US text books or any other articles written and exposed by American intellects and system?

My wife is South Korean. One of my best friends is gay. I have become well-acquainted with racism in what many would like to believe is a storybook multi-cultural society.

However, every day I read about the problems with our society, our government and our culture in every single newspaper. I see political dissent. I see powerful, grassroots movements to protect and enshrine human rights.

Can China say the same?

Boobies said:
Under this whitewashed system, can Americans complain their pain and shame experienced during WWII?

Believe what you like, but the USA is usually the most self-critical of nations. It is a shame that much of that critical consideration has been recently lost or labelled "unpatriotic." Without recognizing flaws, one cannot repair them. Without repairing flaws, one cannot improve.

Boobies said:
Well, Americans don't because Japan apologized to America in full as a NATION. And America is the most powerful nation on earth, so I don't see why Japan can be a jackarse to her.

Of course Japan never apologized to China. They would never apologize for . . . Oh, wait a second:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7594240/

http://edition.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/asiapcf/04/22/china.japan.koizumi/

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/4471495.stm

Granted, in my mind (and I'm sure most people's) too little, too late. I think you will agree with me that for such an apology to be accepted, it must be offered with sincerity. The only way for Japan to prove its sincerity is to follow Germany's course in facing the legacy of World War II, teaching this to its children. I would not ask the modern Japanese citizen to bear guilt for the crimes of his or her ancestors, but I would demand they take responsibility to insure it never happens again, just as I must take responsibility to insure that the crimes committed by my country (and I admit they are many) will not be repeated.

Cabal said:
This logic doesn't work unfortunetly. Consistant stubborness from all sides contributes greatly to the faltering diplomatic ties in the East Asia Pacific. Even before these bi-lateral or multi-lateral talks began, I have already guessed correctly that a compromise wouldn't happen and that my friends is very unfortunate.

Quoted for truth.

You won't hear me say this very often so take note.

I believe that concerning the atrocities committed by the Japanese against the people of China. The Chinese hold the Moral High Ground on this issue.

Add in Korea, The Philippines, British, American, Dutch, Canadien, French POW's and Civilians who were also subjected to the same treatment albiet on a smaller scale. And coupled with the Goverment of Japans Refusal to admit their role and actions China has every right to be PO'd.

Japan and China

OK.. here goes...

The Japanese f*cked up - royally, under Emporer Hirohito and the military complex which really ran the country thru 1945.

They committed certain acts which, under the microscope of history, have been determined to be "atrocious".

Japanese military leaders were held responsible, subject to war crimes prosecution, and punishment up to and including penalty of death.

Japan's responsibility to the rest of the world is to ensure there is no REPEAT of those actions. And that is all.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Certainly the current government of the People's Republic of China recognizes the need to maintain a positive public national personality.

Should the current citizenry of China continually be held accountable for the millions of deaths that occurred during Mao's conquest of the Republic of China? Should the current leader of China be held responsible for Chairman Mao's appetite for young girls (and boys, if you read some reports)?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Perhaps the Japanese might have made an apology to the legitimate government of the Republic of China, not the last major Marxist Fraud represented by the Peoples Republic.. But we will never know. Move on, get over it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And Russians, take care - Tom Clancy was right when he predicted the use of airliners to attack major targets in the U.S. (Debt of Honor) - You might want to shore up your frontier with China/Mongolia (The Bear and the Dragon).

I can hear the cries in the governmental offices in Beijing - "We need elbow room!"

Perhaps the Japanese might have made an apology to the legitimate government of the Republic of China, not the last major Marxist Fraud represented by the Peoples Republic.. But we will never know. Move on, get over it.

The Republic of China did not request any apology from Japan nor demand compensation because the atrocities were committed on a smaller scale in Taiwan compared that of in China. All that is known was that the PRC is demanding an official and clear apology from the majority of the representing leadership of Japan.

Japan's responsibility to the rest of the world is to ensure there is no REPEAT of those actions. And that is all.

I wish it was this simple and straight foward. But this issue requires more in depth thinking.

Unfortunately, Nationalists extremists from Japan's Right Wing party have been pushing itself towards re-armament and are worsening the situation instead. Thus, Japan's recently revised constitution allows itself to deploy troops on foreign soil for example stationing troops in Iraq. Why can't Germany do this??? Quite simple...its most powerful Ally, the United States are searching for strategic allies and thus assisting Japan to contain China which the Neo-Conservatives in Washington are hoping to succeed in. Every existing superpower in the world, especially the United States, are more concerned in self interests and the spread of its own ideals rather than World Peace. So therefore, China is not the only country to be concerned with.

And Russians, take care - Tom Clancy was right when he predicted the use of airliners to attack major targets in the U.S. (Debt of Honor) - You might want to shore up your frontier with China/Mongolia (The Bear and the Dragon).

I don't agree. The last theory will be proven wrong in the future in my opinion. Reason is that both China and Russia share similar foreign policies: to counter US growing Influence.

I can hear the cries in the governmental offices in Beijing - "We need elbow room!"

This statement shares no connection to the main topic but if you intend to include this as your main argument for the Chinese People and the Korean People to "get over it" then you are showing "western biases".

I've seen the photos and the motion pictures of the atrocities done by Imerpial Japanese Soldiers, something considered very rare to see in the Western World. And by that, I'm begining to understand why they are angry.

Back